Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my PT1911 a few months ago, and finally got some sunshine to come out and melt all the snow so I could go shoot it. well, in handling it in the mean time, I noticed that when I am holding the firearm left handed and I put the safety on, then try to take it off it doesnt fully disengage. it works perfectly right handed. and ALMOST works left handed. but no matter how hard I pull down on the safety with the left hand it wont budge. I have to switch the the right hand and pop it up then back down. anybody else had this same problem?

I will say this. I did finally get out and do a little shooting with it and it is one of the most accurate firearms I have ever shot right out of the box. it doesnt need ANY adjustments to the sights. my only complaint is the trigger is a hair heavy for my liking, but it doesnt bother me enough to get a trigger job on it. I waited and waited for taurus to start squirtin out the SS model, and that about killed me becuase of how bad I wanted it.. but it paid off now that I finally got my gorilla hands on one. I couldnt be happier with it.. thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I haven't had that problem with the safety. Mine has been good to me.

By the way, where do you live that you still had snow?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The first thing I would do is to clear the weapon, firmly press the right and left parts of the thumb safety together to make sure they are well seated together, and then try the safety.

If that is not the problem, I would remove the right grip panel and then try the safety with my left thumb. If that does the trick, the front tab of the right safety half could be hitting an inside part of the grip panel. If it does not work, you could have an internal binding problem or too much play between the two halves of the thumb safety. I personally don't like ambidextrous thumb safeties on my 1911's. If you are right handed, one option would be to have a single sided safety installed. Any gunsmith could do the fitting.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
paulrabe78 said:
By the way, where do you live that you still had snow?
Utah.. it just STOPPED snowing about 2 weeks ago. and now its finally warmed up enough that we shouldnt get anymore snow this season.. So much for global warming right? :D

WildRice said:
The first thing I would do is to clear the weapon, firmly press the right and left parts of the thumb safety together to make sure they are well seated together, and then try the safety.

If that is not the problem, I would remove the right grip panel and then try the safety with my left thumb. If that does the trick, the front tab of the right safety half could be hitting an inside part of the grip panel. If it does not work, you could have an internal binding problem or too much play between the two halves of the thumb safety. I personally don't like ambidextrous thumb safeties on my 1911's. If you are right handed, one option would be to have a single sided safety installed. Any gunsmith could do the fitting.

Thank you. I'll give that a whirl. I appreciate your help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts