Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local gun store here in Newnan GA today to take a look at the new PT1911 SS. I already have a PT1911 in the blued version but am not happy with the finish. I want the SS for its low maitenance and durable finish. After reading some of the forum topics on this site I was surprised to see that the store I went to wanted $749.00 for the SS and $549.00 for the blued one. I paid $599.00 for mine six months ago at this store. I read about guys on this forum site getting the new SS for anywhere from $550-$650 but not as high as $749.00! Is it just my area or are these other guys just getting a hell of a deal? Can you order and gun and have it shipped to you? What sort of fees/taxes would you have to pay? I really want one of these new guns. What can I expect to get for mine if I sell it? I was hoping to get around $450. It has had about 2000 rounds through it now and it is clean as a whistle although the finish has slight ware. Thanks for your help. Tom

·
Registered
173 Posts
The going rate around me (Lehigh Valley, PA) seems to be $629. I was able to get mine for $619. If I searched a little harder or waited to go to a big gun show I probably could have gotten it for under $600., maybe. Honestly, for $749. I'd look at a Colt or S&W myself.

Personally, I wouldn't spend $749.for my PT1911ss. Not because it is a bad gun or it isn't worth it. It's because it can be had for the the price ranges you mentioned

mi dos centavos

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Tom, I just went on the gunbroker dot com site. I saw three stainless
models listed, the lowest price of the three was $598.00, from a guy in
Tempe Arizona. It does look like sellers are asking a bit more for them.

But, if you shop around, you should be able to pick one up for a decent price.

Whoops, I just checked again. A seller from Kentucky has a "Buy Now" price of
$572.99!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was lucky and picked up my SS for $569 at a gun show last week. I wasn't expecting to find it so cheap so I snatched it up (the only one they had). You're area may have some influence on price depending how much competition this gun store has within 50 miles. I was told that Taurus has only produced 1,000 SS models to date so that makes supply & demand a little tight. You can go online & find them cheaper but you still need to have the gun shipped to a FFL near you & then you need to find out what his fee is. I wouldn't sell your blue one just yet. The MSRP has already gone up $100 on these & probably will go up again in a year or two. You shoul be able to recover your cost in the future. I paid $479 for my blue one but do not intend on selling it. Even if you pay $600-650 for a SS model, it is still a good value. How many Colts/Springfields are hand fitted during production for the same money? None. How many use a forged frame & slide? You can't find a 1911 with all the features Taurus has for the same money. You can always wait another 6 months until Taurus gets more SS models in the pipeline then you should see some price drops.....
http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/pt_080505/index.html

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-PT1911SS.htm

·
Registered
18 Posts
At the gun show in Pasadena, Texas last weekend, there were two dealers selling the stainless model for $550. The blue one was going for a little less than $500. I haven't seen any good prices at any stores around here though. I almost talked myself into needing a new stainless model to go with my blue one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My local dealer had one for 569.00. I knew it was a decent deal at that, but i had just bought a SA 1911. I went back to look at it again and was drooling on it pretty badly and he agreed to part with it for 520.00. Now i just want a blue one for my night stand gun.

·
22,058 Posts
Buds usually has some pretty good deals. I saw that one and had to think about it. I sold the XD but used some of the money on reloading stuff. Needed a new tumbler and primers. My son and I have gone through a bunch of 9mm in the last couple of months.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got mine (blue) a few weeks ago for $500. The sights were too far left so I took the gun back to the dealer and he centered them. Now it shoots where you want it to shoot. Now have several hundred rounds through it. Perfect, and seems 4" groups at 25 yards. Probably just me, not the gun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I located a PT1911 SS yesterday at Gabels Sporting goods. I paid $629 for it, better than $749 at that other place I checked. I put 100 rounds through it last night without a hitch. THe gun is beautiful but I think I want to polish the trigger and maybe the grip and ambi safety because there are more of a matte finish. How difficult is it to take the trigger out? I have only gone as far as doing a basic field strip on my blued version. I was gonna sell the blued one to get back some of the money that I spent on the SS but I think they look good together. WHat would you guys expect to pay for a used Pt1911 with 1200 rounds through it?

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Tom,

Here is a link to another thread in which Cimarron poated regarding a detailed disassembly of the PT1911.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2063.0

I'm glad to hear you're keeing your PT1911B as well.
Hypothetically speaking if I were to looking to buy a used pistol (or anything else for that matter) I'd want to pay the least amount possible. However I'd think $475 would be a fair price as a ballpark guesstimate.

·
Registered
154 Posts
List price for the PT1911SS I bought in Martinsburg, WV was right at $650. I traded in a first generation PT111 and he gave me a box of FMJ rounds to play with. Out the door at right about $515. Better deals could be had online, but when I thought about shipping, transfer fees and the lack of the all important Instant Gratification Factor, I went with the local purchase.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Got mine for $515.00 Out the door, taxes included from a local dealer. Last one he had..He had a price sticker of $625.00 on it but when I inspected it, some scratches were visible on the slide, so I offered $500.00, and he took $515.00. I of course have had problems with the ambi safety but I can handle that for such a nice shooting pistol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts