Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will pretty much read any magazine or book on guns but American Handgunner is one of the few I actually have a subscription to. When this months edition arrived I was excited to see a article titled "beer budget 1911s" and thought I would get to see how they thought the PT1911 stacked up but to my great surprise the Taurus was not mentioned.

Here is the full article American Handgunner March/April 2012 Digital Edition

and a place to leave comments. Beer Budget 1911s | American Handgunner

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Not that I believe in the so called impartiality of a print medium reviewing products it has a vested interest in promoting , but a Taurus PT1911 isn't what I would classify as a budget 1911. A great value in terms of features for the money, yes, but street prices on PT1911s ive seen can be from $560 down the street here to $599.00 for the same gun in Illinois. Both prices are above the $400 street price for a RIA GI 1911.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I would say the PT1911 is more of a mid range priced gun.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
You guys are right,

I am just so proud of how great a gun the PT1911 is I cannot imagine someone saving $50-$100 by buying something else.
I agree, for the $50 -$100 its worth it to me.

I'd also love to get my hands on a 1911 in .455 Webley, preferably from the RAF! But those aren't cheap.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I don't know - they included the Para GI Expert at the end of the article, and it's in about the same price range as the Taurus. The author even made a comment about being able to buy a quality 1911 for less than $1000, and the Taurus certainly fits that description. My problem with gun magazines that sell advertising to gun manufacturers is that you almost never hear them say anything really bad about anything. The closest they come is damning by faint praise, so you usually have to read between the lines.

And here's one of my all time pet peeves with gun magazines - why can't these guys ever just print an article contiguously, without making me flip to the back of the mag for the last few paragraphs?!

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
And here's one of my all time pet peeves with gun magazines - why can't these guys ever just print an article contiguously, without making me flip to the back of the mag for the last few paragraphs?!
To expose you to the most amount of advertising! :D

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Does Taurus advertise in the magazine?

Never mind. Looked at the list of advertisers - nope. Might answer your question right there.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I read the article last week, for lack of a better word,in the intro of this article , the writer comments that if your favorite gun was excluded that they would try again later to include some of the 1911 they had left out.

·
Administrator
35,507 Posts
I just don't buy into the snobbery that requires me to spend $2000 for me to feel good about my 1911 purchase. My PT1911 has about 2500 rounds through it, zero misfeeds or misfires. I think I'll hold on to it.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I think I would have been disappointed if they put the PT1911 into the beer budget catagory. It's better then what they commented on.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
My definition of budget 1911 would be one in the $400 range.
HEY, HEY, HEY!! watch that kind of talk!!
heres a "out the door" $429 and $461 Budget 1911!-LOL
The grips were extra however!

Attachments

Reactions: stallard

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I just don't buy into the snobbery that requires me to spend $2000 for me to feel good about my 1911 purchase. My PT1911 has about 2500 rounds through it, zero misfeeds or misfires. I think I'll hold on to it.
I agree in fact the only way I would shell out that kind of money would be if I was a pro shooter and it was a custom built job.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Yeah cheapest I've seen a PT1911 go for locally is 520 and that was acouple years ago... except when Larrys blew out their PT1911AL's and I think about 100 of us on here got one of those =P

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I do agree with that statement.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Read the article, too. Was also surprised about the omission of the Taurus, especially when CDNN is selling shiny blue/gold trim .38 supes for $399, and the stainless version for $429. I believe Taurus advertises in gun mags -- maybe what they need is a purty standard bearer like the asian chick for Kahr arms, or the not to be forgotten Miss Red Star Arms Miss Red Star Arms |. Now, I ask you - don't you think that a company located in Brazil could find more than a few smokin hot ladies to put in their ads and travel the US hawking their wares? Have you ever seen film of Carnaval in Rio? That's their Mardi Gras. Makes New Orleans look like a $2 peep show.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Makes New Orleans look like a $2 peep show.
That is because New Orleans around Mardi Gras is a $2 peep show.;)

One must remember that CDNN is not pricing their PT1911s at market average.They could easily sell them for $650 and still undercut many FFLs. My local store has a stainless railed PT1911 standard trim .45 for $655, and that's a good price for a brick and mortar store.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That's funny (not ha, ha), because I am willing to bet that the PT1911 is a better pistol than any of the others in the test -- better warranty too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts