Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Taurus about the right side of my safety feeling very loose. They said to send them the part and they'd send a replacement in about a week. I don't ever use the right side and think it odd that it's worn/loose. Has anyone noticed this on their PT1911?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm a lefty, so that's one of the features I really like about the PT1911. Mine's not loose... but it's only put a few hundred rounds downrange.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you talking about slack in the pin hole or the two halves of the safety separating and trying to ride out of the hole?

We have two PT1911s in the house, the missus' was fine, the safety on mine was loose where the two halves mesh. Had to remove it and coax the slotted half together just a smidge to get it snug. No probs since then with it.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Video really helped identify the problem. The right and left parts simply mate with a "v" groove. The right side moves independent of the left... try removing the right grips and then using a rubber mallet, etc., to tap it until the right side is snug against the frame. Most times I just push these two parts together. Then the grip holds it snug in place. It's not a malfunction or a failure... the parts have just worked apart. I'm curious as to why the grip isn't holding the right hand side tighter in place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Couldn't see the gap from the frame to safety very well, but I'm assuming the safety halves have separated. Taking the grip off will let the right half fall out, the right half is also the side that will need to be adjusted, as per Cimarron's suggestion, or possibly use a pair of pliers to sug it up. Just be sure to check for fit often, if you close the gap too much, not only will it be a BEAR to to get the halves together, but a real pain to get apart again as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Considering the safety also acts as the pivot pin for the grip safety I'd wait till your replacement shows up. Depending on how much play is present, the ear on the grip safety (also on the right side) could interfere with trigger function. If you have a local gunshop or gunsmith you could make a quick call to them. If someone has switched to an ambi safety from single you might be able to get their old part cheaper than dirt. I say this partially because you say you don't use the starboard side lever at all. Just my $0.02 worth............

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tyler1171,
Thanks for the reply. Being the pivot point for the grip safety that's what I was concerned about. I sent the failed part back today and I'll let everyone know when I get the new part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts