Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted recently about the extractor breaking after 130 rounds on my new PT1911. Today my Wilson Combat extractor should arrive and I will get things put back together this evening. My question regards the firing pin stop. To remove it the first time took quite a whack with the punch and hammer to get it to come out. Since then I have just messed around (practiced) with putting things back together. The FPS is a very tight fit and requires the use of a punch and hammer to get back into place. Not as much force as getting it out the first time but I sure can't just push it back in place. Is this normal or should I be looking to work on it just a little to ease installing it?
Without going back to find the name I would like to thank the person that gave me the link to the tuning tips for the extractor. I will put that information to use this evening. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If the FPS is too tight you can stone the edges (knife sharpening stone will work) to fit better. Most new ones will come slightly oversize just so you can hand fit it. First make sure it's the FPS that's tight, check by trying it without the firing pin and extractor in the slide. If it does need fitting, go slowly and test often, one of it's other main functions is to hold the extractor so it can't rotate any. Too much movement in the extractor can cause extracting problems.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Go easy. The 1911 was never made in the first place for "drop in parts" and most of it needs at least some amount of hand fitting. If you aren't sure what you are doing it's time to take it somewhere or ship it. I love 1911's and swear by them, but I learned the hard way about "some gunsmithing may be required"...

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
a tight FPS is a good thing it will prevent your extractor from clocking. you don't want it to loose or your extractor can clock as mentioned above. iwould leave it as is as long as you can get back in place without damaging you firearm.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I would agree that you want it tight; mine was/is also very tight & I first experianced that upon takedown to clean the gun before I fired it.

You can check carefully for any machining burrs & remove those gently with a stone (magnification will help); you might also very gently chamfer the sharp corners that make contact with the sides of the pocket in the slide it makes contact. But I would be very cautious not to remove any unneccesary material & making the stop more narrow in width for an easier fit.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for the replies. @stallard, I did do a refit of just the FPS and it is very tight but after reading everyones responses I will leave it alone. I get my Wilson Combat extractor today so I'm anxious to get home from work, it's lunch time now, and get my PT1911 back together so I can shoot it some more this weekend.
I did get my order in with Taurus for a replacement but I get the feeling, contrary to what I was told, that it will be some time before any replacements come in.
Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Good call on keeping it a bit tighter. My personal preference is a bit tighter than not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts