Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the PT1911's recoil plug with a typical checkered 1911 plug? That is one thing I don't like about my PT...But it seems that a standard 1911 plug should work...

·
Registered
111 Posts
it will work and you can also replace the full length guide rod with a standard plug and rod from any 1911 thats built to mil spec config. remember the plug is hollow for the full length rod. I switch parts out of my Kimbers to the Taurus all the time. and I bought a cheap RIA 45 1911 that I use for parts in my range bag, but the slide assy. and all the other parts have fit no problem.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Check CDNN Sports... www.cdnnsports.com. Look under the parts for 1911. What they have is very reasonable. They also handle a supply of Chip MiCormick parts.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
A note on CDNN, they charge a flat rate for shipping so I'd suggest ordering a bunch of stuff if you can. I've got an order with them right now...

Steelheart

Reactions: Lance0812

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Upon doing some research, the PT1911 seems to have an upgraded, full length guide rod that requires the open recoil plug, where as the checkered push button plug works with the standard length rod?? Therefore, the full length guide (already on the PT1911) is actually a better setup? Am I understanding this right? Maybe I should keep it as is...

·
Registered
6 Posts
RocketFoot you are correct, it's been my experience the closed end checkered plug ends up being about an 1/8th inch too shallow, hence an 1/8th inch too long. It doesn't leave enough clearence room for the bushing to swing around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought an Ed Brown checkered recoil spring plug. After discovering that it won't work, I dug up this thread. I now understand why it won't work, but does anyone know a way to get it TO work? I'm with RocketFoot - I love the look of a checkered plug.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Raven, you will have to replace the full length guide rod with the milspec guide rod. The pistol will non cycle with a full length guide rod and an enclosed plug. Just rack your slide and observe the guide rod extending past the slide for a visual explaination.

Reactions: Three Percent

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correct, you would have to replace the plug and the guide rod. I've seen them come as a set quite often. I never did change mine, but I still toy with the notion every now and then! ;D

·
Registered
115 Posts
I certainly hope nobody ever actually manages to get a G.I. plug on a gun with a full length guide rod. That would not be a pretty sight when they went to shoot it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, I feel stupid now. Can clearly see that the guide rod passes clean through the stock plug. I guess it's to my advantage to leave the full length guide rod in place. What exactly is the advantage of full length over mil-spec?

·
Registered
115 Posts
The full length guide rod keeps the spring from binding up when the gun recoils. It also adds a little weight to the front of the gun helping you reacquire targets faster.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
czervika said:
Yeah I'd keep it. My other 1911's have two piece guide rods the Taurus one piece is very user friendly.
guess again czervika, even though you have a one piece, both my PT1911s have 2 piece guide rods, i even had a problem with my first one backing out from lack of loctite. the S/S model's guide rod seems to be holding up well though. my Rottie's Kimber guide rod is, however, a one piece.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
jonyrotten, none of my 3 PT1911's have two piece guide rods. Do you have a model that I'm not aware of? Please post pics if possible. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
They may have had to shop out some of their parts if they couldn't keep up production. They may also have been experimenting with the two piece guide rod. It's hard telling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I figured that would be better than starting a dup. Has anyone found a good checkered plug (with our without replacing the guide rod) that works well with the PT1911? Or is the consensus basically that the Taurus factory setup is a better way to go and just live with the look?

Thanks,
Rob

1 - 20 of 62 Posts