Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the rear sight has a hex screw in the top and a hex driver came with the pistol. but the schematic also shows a small part (number 1.5 - rear sight insert) whose function is not clear to me - obviously someone with no smithing skills or experience. Can you simply loosen the hex screw and tap the dovetail over to adjust for windage, or is there more to it?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
My guess... the dovetail is slightly larger than the standard for the Heinie-Taurus sight and they needed a "shim" to tighten the fit. You can move the sight in the dovetail, however, if you remove it completely, besure and "catch" the insert.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a PT-1911DT that came with Novaks sights, not the Heinie 8. The hex screws are also different sizes between the front and rear. Now here's the stupid question: Does anyone know if they're metric or standard hex sizes? Or even better, does anyone know specifically what each of the two sizes are? I'd hate to bugger up the process by using the incorrect size hex wrench...

Thanks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I couldn't find the specific sizes on the Taurus website but they included a rear sight hex key in the case when I bought my pt1911. I would suggest either calling Taurus and asking them or buying a small set of both metric and standard keys and trying each until you find the proper fit for the front sight..

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Z1911 said:
I have a PT-1911DT that came with Novaks sights, not the Heinie 8. The hex screws are also different sizes between the front and rear. Now here's the stupid question: Does anyone know if they're metric or standard hex sizes? Or even better, does anyone know specifically what each of the two sizes are? I'd hate to bugger up the process by using the incorrect size hex wrench...

Thanks!
If they are Novaks, the front is probably a roll pin, not a screw. I have an ALR with Novaks, but have not removed the front sight.

Can anyone confirm screw vs. pin?????????

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
sh801 said:
If they are Novaks, the front is probably a roll pin, not a screw. I have an ALR with Novaks, but have not removed the front sight.

Can anyone confirm screw vs. pin?????????
If anyone is still interested- After checking out he Novaks on my ALR, the front IS held in place by a set screw. A 1/20 hex bit from my B-Square screwdriver set fits perfectly. On the other hand, the Tritium front I bought from Novak has a roll pin, as does the Tritium front on one of my Sigs, also a Novak sight.

Apparently, at Novak's-
- Tritium front = roll pin
- White dot front = set screw

Anyone else know differently??????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts