Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well finally had a chance to try out my new 1911; stopped at the range on my way home from work...

With ammo prices these days I won’t be feeding it any factory ammo so I brought some reloads with me; 7.5gr Power Pistol , 8gr of IMR SR4756 and some of the light (underloaded) 7gr of N350 all behind a 200gr plated bullet. Shot about 80-90 rounds, not a lot but I had 2 other guns with me..

Power Pistol load was the most powerful load and delivered the fireball. If someone is looking for a fun/powerful .45 load, try it! I have to say my stainless P220 is a softer shooting gun; you can really feel the WALLOP of a hot .45ACP shooting a 1911. I guess the rubber grip on the Sig tames it down a bit…

There were NO feeding or extraction issues but I had about a dozen light strikes. ; I’m guessing the firing in channel might be dirty (considering how the gun was dirty from the factory; was covered with protective oil and powder resedue) rigth now it's a not a huge deal to me. I'm guessing if cleaning the firing pin channel won't work I'll try lighter firing pin spring... Btw all rounds fired on a second strike... Any tips on disassembly? (I've never gone beyond the field stripping with a 1911) :-[

Trigger: after the range session the trigger seemed to improve! It was quite decent to being with but it’s even better now!

Sights: the sight picture is good but I’m not used to the ligning up dots vertically; I had some shots hitting low. I’ll try to cover the dot on the rear sight and see if it will make any difference.

Only thing I will likely change are the grips; checkered plastic is just not my thing....

Overall I had a blast, :p but now I need to sort out the light strike issue. Any advice from the 1911 gurus out there?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: PT1911 Range Report

Gray Wolf......Re: Disassembly, there is a "sticky" above which is good. And here should be a link to another disassembly guide:

http://www.m1911.org/full_striping.htm

Between these two, I was able to get mine ALL the way apart AND back together, several times !!
Good luck !!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I know about the sticky (I'm a mod here ;) ) but Cimarron's giude doesn't incl firing pin removal. I'll try the other link... thanks! I've fired plenty 1911s over the years just never had to take a firing pin out...

btw anyone else had a light strike problem?

·
Registered
241 Posts

Congrats on the new PT1911! I love mine!
No light stike problems so far, I have only used Blazer brass FMJ and Winchester white box JHP.

Here is link to a pretty cool animation. [video=google;-5053379821405436208]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5053379821405436208&hl=en[/video]

·
Registered
3,737 Posts

I've had 2 light strikes. One with Wolf and one with WWB. Both rounds went on second shot. I'm going to do a little more cleaning also and see if this resolves the problem.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Range Report ---UPDATE

Well, turns out it was my fault :'(

Someone suggested that it could be the ammo; if the primers are seated high that would happen (First strike seats the primer and the second fires it). I checked the rest of the ammo and sure enough found a few high primers. (never had that happen in thousands of rounds I loaded before :-[) I recently started using Auto Prime hand primer and must've been too careful with it.

So I'm glad to report that THIS WASN'T THE GUNS' FAULT! :)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I completely disassembled my slide yesterday and cleaned it. It was pretty dirty which I expected. I didn't do this when I first got it and now it seems to hit the firing pin better. I did the pencil in the barrel test. Put a pencil in eraser down pull the trigger. Make sure it is unloaded of course!!!! The pencil should fly out. I always point my barrel up. It still doesn't make the pencil fly like my 24/7 but it is better than it was.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
Something tells me the pencil would still fly out even of the gun was loaded :p :-X
You don't know how much I'm laughing!! Yeah if it doesn't you might want to change ammo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
if you want a good video to watch go to youtube and type in 1911 and there are several videos that are good to watch. some better than others but there is some good info there. look for the ones that have two or three videos. those are the better ones.

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
try Break free first the aresol not the oil version just attach the little tube and blast away. Then put a rubber band around can so you don't lose the tube like I always seem to do LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts