Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snuck out to the range today for some quick firing and had some issues with my PT1911. The first mag I fired two rounds and then the gun refused to fire, the hammer would advance about 1/4 or less and that's it. I would then have to manually full-cock, cycle the safety on and off and even then it seemed to only want to fire if I squeezed extremely hard on the grip safety. This is my first and only 1911 so I have no idea how to deal with this issue.

On the other hand, when I was getting it to fire it was shooting great! I was hitting relatively quick double taps on a 20" gong at about 30-35 yards, hopping between three different gongs about 10 feet from one another. (I think I'm finally getting the hang of the Heine's)

Got a lot of stares ringing the 75 and 100 yd gongs with my little Keltec PLR16 .223 pistol in double and triple taps too, especially lighting up the torso gong @ 25 yds rapid firing the last 20 in a mag from the hip! (outdoor public range so I was well within protocol)

Anyway, not happy about the 1911 issues and don't want to send it in if there is some advice for me.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It feeds just fine, mags are not an issue. I went down and checked the lock on the hammer after posting last night and it appeared fine, and then oddly enough dry fired it and fired with snapcaps about 25 times and could not replicate the problem. Still makes me nervous though.

Thanks for the advice though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's a grip safety issue, it's internal and new as I have fired approx. 800 rounds through this gun over the last few months with no hiccups.

I am thinking that something has come loose in the grip safety to cause it to engage even when depressed.

As I said, it's my first 1911, what would normally make the hammer advance slightly and then stop? Is this what happens if the grip safety is not normally depressed fully? (or would the hammer not move at all?)Could it be the firing pin safety malfunctioning?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.