Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snuck out to the range today for some quick firing and had some issues with my PT1911. The first mag I fired two rounds and then the gun refused to fire, the hammer would advance about 1/4 or less and that's it. I would then have to manually full-cock, cycle the safety on and off and even then it seemed to only want to fire if I squeezed extremely hard on the grip safety. This is my first and only 1911 so I have no idea how to deal with this issue.

On the other hand, when I was getting it to fire it was shooting great! I was hitting relatively quick double taps on a 20" gong at about 30-35 yards, hopping between three different gongs about 10 feet from one another. (I think I'm finally getting the hang of the Heine's)

Got a lot of stares ringing the 75 and 100 yd gongs with my little Keltec PLR16 .223 pistol in double and triple taps too, especially lighting up the torso gong @ 25 yds rapid firing the last 20 in a mag from the hip! (outdoor public range so I was well within protocol)

Anyway, not happy about the 1911 issues and don't want to send it in if there is some advice for me.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey gjk5,

I had a slide lock up with my PT111 recently. Found that it was the internal locking mechanism. Did you try looking into the trigger lock? Also, my PT1911 had issues chambering with one of my magazines. It works really well with a magazine from kimber. Also, mine doesn't like to operate with a dirty feed ramp.

Mike PT1911

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It feeds just fine, mags are not an issue. I went down and checked the lock on the hammer after posting last night and it appeared fine, and then oddly enough dry fired it and fired with snapcaps about 25 times and could not replicate the problem. Still makes me nervous though.

Thanks for the advice though.

·
Administrator
18,578 Posts
Sounds like you might be having an issue with the Grip Safety and the way that you are gripping your PT1911. You might consider gluing a 1/8 inch thick Black Neoprene pad to the back of the grip Safety if this condition persists. Did that with a Para-Ordnance Double Stack Magazined 1911 I had grip safety issues with. Cured that problem! I don't have Grip Safety issues with Single Stack 1911's.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's a grip safety issue, it's internal and new as I have fired approx. 800 rounds through this gun over the last few months with no hiccups.

I am thinking that something has come loose in the grip safety to cause it to engage even when depressed.

As I said, it's my first 1911, what would normally make the hammer advance slightly and then stop? Is this what happens if the grip safety is not normally depressed fully? (or would the hammer not move at all?)Could it be the firing pin safety malfunctioning?

·
32,813 Posts
Thought that might be the problem but refrained from entering into the fray. :D My explanations can get long winded and this woud have been one of them. :)

Shooting a 1911 of any kind is a whole change from any other kind of pistol. One has to relearn a lot. Fit, function, grip hold, and manual of arms are all things that need going over in minute detail.

People used to other gun types, or for the first time shooting a SA auto, need to get instruction or findout the basics from a knowledgeable source.

The grip safety and how the gun is gripped are a major areas to cover. Otherwise problems like yours crop up.

Just to add to the problem, every different make and model may have a certain way to hold the gun that has nothing to do with other 1911s. Not all 1911's come with the same mechanical features to fire the gun or make it safe.
One not only has to have a tight grip, but has to adjust the holding hand's grip to push the grip safety all the way off for each shot the same way every time.
I will leave it to the PT1911 users to instruct on this.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
A suggestion... find a local shooters forum (we have one in Oklahoma www.okshooters.com) and post for help looking at your 1911. There are tons of guys out there who can disassemble a 1911 blindfolded and I'll almost guarantee that something in the grip or the three finger spring is the culprit. Most 1911 shooters will take a newbie under their wing and teach you how to detail strip your gun. Probably even fixing the problem while showing you.

The only problem is finding guys who aren't "into" their high priced Kimbers, etc. I had guys telling me to forget Taurus and buy a used Springfield. My response was that most 1911 owners learn how to work on their guns quickly (remember John Browning designed these guns to be repaired in foxholes!). I didn't want someone's used gun that they "tinkered" on when I can buy new and I know what I'm tinkering with!

PS... last word. These are military specification guns... they were designed by the U.S. government. The enhancements that Taurus has added are pretty standard enhancements and any good gunsmith can totally rebuild your gun. So before you ship these guns off to Taurus... see if you can't find a local fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts