Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a fellow on another forum who says that the PT1911 is prone to primer over-strikes, causing primer failure and blow-backs.

Any PT1911 owners here see this? It's getting some play on the other boards.

Personally, I think it's a little anti-Taurus prejudice, or an individual who's pretty toy isn't the Christmas Pony...

But to be fair, his tone aside, I thought I'd ask a real user population.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
32,533 Posts
Don't have the 1911,but have seen what you are talking about. If there were problems it would likely be showing up in the press or other places and not at the forums first. Do know of problems some companies had by having firing pins that were to long and were put into the pistols. That was a long time ago and that was not the trouble associated with the too long pins.If a person is a reloader and overloads or mis-steps in his case charging I might be able to see a problem. Something does sound fishy. Even made up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
785 Posts
My PT145 will show "drag marks" on the primer, but that's pretty typical and of no concern, but the only time I've ever heard of "bulging" primers is from over-pressure... i.e. over loading when reloading.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Drag marks and primer ripping are indications that the timing is off. The barrel is linking down before the pressure has dropped. Generally this is a result of the lower lug being cut too short and not allowing the barrel to travel far enough forward during lockup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
I frequent the high road and the firing line forums and from what I can see there have been 2 cases of a PT1911 having "bulging" primers, both have since been replaced by Taurus and no longer have a problem, since these guys started posting about these "bulging" primers tons of PT1911 owners like myself have chimed in to say they are having no such problem with there PT1911. Now with that said for some reason these very rare cases of "bulging" primers have now been turned into "exploding" primers by the anti Taurus groups and Taurus bashing groups. I hate the way things get blown out of perporsion on forums, some of these people are worse then the anti gun media.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
One more thing. Listen to those who actually own the Pt1911 not the ones who say "I heard from so and so" or " I read on another forum" when it comes to the PT1911. I have one with ore then 3000 rounds through it with out one single hicup. Hell I even bought one for my Dad who I love more then just about anything in this world, I would not have bought him a pistol I thought was unsafe, Trust me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I own the PT-1911 and have experienced no such problem out of 250 rounds so far. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy is just that. The lifetime of the gun...not the buyer. This is the first warranty of its type in the industry. No other manufacturer has the confidence to extend this kind of offer. Except us. We know how good our guns are, and we are not afraid to stand behind them...for a lifetime.
Simply put, our unprecedented repair policy stands firmly behind every firearm imported or manufactured by Taurus International. The full terms are we will repair your Taurus FREE OF CHARGE for the lifetime of the firearm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,761 Posts
Is another name for this problem a pierced primer? Otherwise, I haven't heard anything of this, from any gun manufacturer.

Steelheart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Steelheart said:
Is another name for this problem a pierced primer? Otherwise, I haven't heard anything of this, from any gun manufacturer.

Steelheart
Primer piercing is normally caused by a hot load and/or thin primers, rarely a cause of the firing pin having excessive force or protrusion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
hello everyone, new member and first post so forgive my typing.inregard to the primers mushrooming it is indeed a fact as i have one that is doing it. i have not gotten on any forum and badmouthed my pt1911 and i refuse to do so.mine has done it from the day i bought it. ihave close to 5000 rds thru it, one of these days i will send it back to taurus to have it repaired or replaced at their option, until then i will continue to shoot it. i have some high-end 1911 automatics and this taurus will shoot with the best of them. when i do send it in i will let you all know their response is . it mushrooms primers whether its factory rds or reloads. now you have heard it from an owner and shooter. be safe and shoot well. the shootis-1.aka john hammond at [email protected] :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
SHOOTIST-1 said:
hello everyone, new member and first post so forgive my typing.inregard to the primers mushrooming it is indeed a fact as i have one that is doing it. i have not gotten on any forum and badmouthed my pt1911 and i refuse to do so.mine has done it from the day i bought it. ihave close to 5000 rds thru it, one of these days i will send it back to taurus to have it repaired or replaced at their option, until then i will continue to shoot it. i have some high-end 1911 automatics and this taurus will shoot with the best of them. when i do send it in i will let you all know their response is . it mushrooms primers whether its factory rds or reloads. now you have heard it from an owner and shooter. be safe and shoot well. the shootis-1.aka john hammond at [email protected] :)
Sounds like a timing problem. Too much pressure when the barrel links down. Otherwise you would have flat primers even with high pressures because the case head would still be in contact with the breach face during lockup until the pressure drops and barrel linkdown occurrs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
hello flyer, just got back from shooting, sorry about the delay in ansering. i am totally ignorant computer wise or i would borrow a camera and try it. the problem is for real but i am not that worried about it. it looks like the primers mushroom back around the firing pin. so far no primer has ruptured. i wish i could be of more help. i think i will call taurus in the morn. and see what they have to say. ill let everyone know what they say. be safe. the shootist-1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I have a PT1911 that has the bulging primer problem. The firing pin hole appears to be beveled on the face and it looks like the primer is expanding to fill this beveled area. I have fired 600 rounds thru mine and have not had a pierced primer yet. But I am sending my PT1911 back to Taurus tomorrow to see what they will do with it. A couple of posters on other forums said Taurus replaced their guns. A couple of posters in the last few days have said it's not a big deal that some Berettas and some Glocks have the same type of mark on their fired rounds. One poster said Taurus told him it's not a problem. I called Taurus and they told me to send the pistol to them. So I'll let you know what the do with my pistol.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
gunfighter48 said:
I have a PT1911 that has the bulging primer problem. The firing pin hole appears to be beveled on the face and it looks like the primer is expanding to fill this beveled area. I have fired 600 rounds thru mine and have not had a pierced primer yet. But I am sending my PT1911 back to Taurus tomorrow to see what they will do with it. A couple of posters on other forums said Taurus replaced their guns. A couple of posters in the last few days have said it's not a big deal that some Berettas and some Glocks have the same type of mark on their fired rounds. One poster said Taurus told him it's not a problem. I called Taurus and they told me to send the pistol to them. So I'll let you know what the do with my pistol.

Got a letter from Taurus on 2/15/07 saying they received my pistol and it would be 3 - 4 weeks to process. Imagine my surprise when FedEx delivered a package from Taurus today. They sent me a new pistol. This one also has a firing pin hole that is slightly beveled. So it will probably give some amount of the of the "nipple" effect as seen on my brass from my last PT1911. But the bevel on this one is a lot less than the last one. So I'm satisfied and will enjoy shooting the new pistol and NOT worry about the "ring around the hole" syndrome!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
I just put another 200rounds through my PT1911HD and none of my brass looked like that.

On another note, what distance are the stock sights adjusted to?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
785 Posts
hotbrass said:
Sounds like a timing problem. Too much pressure when the barrel links down. Otherwise you would have flat primers even with high pressures because the case head would still be in contact with the breach face during lockup until the pressure drops and barrel linkdown occurrs.
hotbrass, you seem pretty knowledgable. What do you think about Stephen Camp's observation that the Sig-Sauer is designed to delay the retraction of the primer to keep debris out of the firing pin channel and they (primer wipes) are normal?
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top