Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have my blue pt1911 next week!

I have a question on parts though. I am on midway's website and have more of a general question. How do I know what parts fit the gun.. IE: Some are labeled Commander, Government..70, 80, etc? Also on the barrel bushing. Some state Match Barrel bushing while others are Drop in.?

I just want to make sure I understand what parts to get for the pt1911. And what is compatible.. I see things like Colt Gold or Match gun.. makes it easy if you have that exact gun..etc.

What is the difference between these four and which would work for our pt1911?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/660...tainless-steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/113...tainless-steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/753...tainless-steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/710...tainless-steel

Sorry if this sounds lame to ask but I'd rather get the right parts for the gun than to mess up... i'm still learning! ;-p

Thanks,
-Nigel

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Hi Nigel,

Welcome to the great fraternity of Taurus handgun owners!

Some of our 1911 Gurus will be stopping by to help you with your inquiry. But it may be after the coffee is made in the morning. ;)

·
Registered
855 Posts
The difference in those parts is the tolerances, you'll see that the bushing have the diameters so the buyer can pick the tightest bushing for his/her barrel.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The difference in those parts is the tolerances, you'll see that the bushing have the diameters so the buyer can pick the tightest bushing for his/her barrel.
Which means measure the biggest part of the barrel in the front and match it to a bushing. Of course if the factory bushing is fitted well you will see no difference installing a match bushing.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I see no reason to swap out the bushing unless you're doing a complete barrel swap, in which case you would need to have them fitted in by a good smith for best results. So unless the barrel is able to be moved around with the factory bushing in place, i would leave it alone. And really, if it should be moving at all, send it back to Taurus. No reason to pay for repairs when they will do it for free.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The match grade bushings will require more fitting, they will require filing/sanding/stoning to fit properly in the slide, and then the inside will need to be fit to your barrel because it will be too small for the barrel to fit in. As you can imagine, this needs to be done right, and preferably with the right tools. Look on Midway's site and you will see barrel fitting tools and jigs. It can be done with regular files and sandpaper on a dowel, but it's not an easy process. The "drop in" should still require some fitting, maybe a lot. Any bushing that would be guaranteed to fit all Govt series 80 1911's would be so sloppy it would be worthless.

Positive note - bushings are cheap so if you screw up, no big deal.

Keep in mind, the Taurus bushing is hand fit, and not bad at all - only reason I would change is for the stainless look(or for a bushing comp like mine)

Of the links you listed, I would go with the Ed Brown.

·
Registered
36,334 Posts
TO me the most important issue and question is???

Can you actually shoot well enough to really need a match bushing or matched barrel and bushing??
Its kind of like putting on Supermans Cape and uniform, if you are a mortal man then you still ain't going to be able to fly, or bounce bullets off your chest or stop a speeding locomotive
most of us mere mortals are not able to match the factory accuracy of the Pt1911.
or is it just me that can't do that?-LOL

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
First welcome to the forum. In case you didn't know, a Taurus PT1911 comes with all those parts from the factory!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
unless you you use a Briley bushing the others won't fit tighter than the Taurus factory bushing. that is without fitting,which to fit an oversized bushing it really should be done on a lathe. a Briley you can fit real tight to your barrel but it still may need some fitting to the slide.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hello & welcome! I would agree with some of the other posts above: no reason to mess with the barrel or barrel bushing now - or maybe ever. If you want to spend some $$ on parts, look into some extra magazines, a nice set of grips (a lot of folks here like Raasco grips, as they have a line specific to fitting the PT 1911), maybe an extended magwell, etc.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Hello & welcome! I would agree with some of the other posts above: no reason to mess with the barrel or barrel bushing now - or maybe ever. If you want to spend some $$ on parts, look into some extra magazines, a nice set of grips (a lot of folks here like Raasco grips, as they have a line specific to fitting the PT 1911), maybe an extended magwell, etc.
My point exactly. I just had to give the smart A$$ version.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow lots of replies!! Thank you.

Honestly the only reason I wanted to change it was to get a s/s version... My whole plan is to change some things on it like the slide release, hammer, mag release to s/s for a contrasting black with s/s pieces.

I could always polish the front bushing to a mirror finish so I guess I might actually do that.

I'm super excited to get the gun, any day now and I can finally say I finally own a firearm and it's a 1911 which I love. I have grips sitting here for it just waiting...lol

I am sure I will post many more questions and pictures here in the near future!

-Nigel

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I guess you need to understand a few things about 1911s in general. Rule #1 of the 1911: There are no drop-in parts for a 1911. You should plan on fitting any part you get for any 1911, not just the PT-1911. If you are not comfortable fitting parts to a 1911, then either don't do it, or find a 1911 smith, not a gunsmith, but a real, honest to God, 1911 smith. Much of the 1911 parts you can fit with just a modicum of mechanical talent, but there are 2 groups that I would only change if I had access to a 1911 smith. One is the fire control group consisting of the hammer, sear, disconnector and series 80 parts (if your 1911 has them) and if you change them out, you should change the hammer, sear, disconnector as a group. The other group is the barrel group consisting of the barrel, slide, barrel bushing and barrel link and I would replace the barrel, bushing and link as a group. There are DIY kits for both of these groups, but they are for the advanced 1911 DIY owner. These 2 groups do more than any other groups of parts to impact accuracy. The fire control group is what gives you trigger control and the barrel group determines the accuracy of your 1911, and a novice messing with either could not just adversely affect the existing accuracy of your 1911 if could even make it unsafe to operate. JMHO

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
855 Posts
Wow lots of replies!! Thank you.

Honestly the only reason I wanted to change it was to get a s/s version... My whole plan is to change some things on it like the slide release, hammer, mag release to s/s for a contrasting black with s/s pieces.

I could always polish the front bushing to a mirror finish so I guess I might actually do that.

I'm super excited to get the gun, any day now and I can finally say I finally own a firearm and it's a 1911 which I love. I have grips sitting here for it just waiting...lol

I am sure I will post many more questions and pictures here in the near future!

-Nigel
If all you want is to dress is up then polishing will do that. Here's mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,334 Posts
well if you are looking to dress up your 1911 to your liking then certainly thats one thing most 1911 owners do in some form.
But as has been relayed to you there are better things that are are simple unscrew and change out that will do that.
there is a certain amount of knowledge that is needed for changing certain parts on a 1911.
My opinon and I know you didn't ask , but i would put money in ammo and possibly a teacher/coach to help me with my shooting skills (depending on your abilities) first, get the pistols reliability and your ability down then go for the flashy stuff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Appreacate all the replies guys! Jr612, I sent you a PM.

I definitely agree with all of you that I am not going to change anything until I fully understand the gun and how it works. I do research a lot before I do things and make sure it's done right..etc. I've already ordered 2 books on the 1911. Plan to bring them to work and study...lol Being a firearm I am goin gto take special care as to not alter it in such a way that it's unsafe or that would make the firearm discharge unless I do so with purpose.

This is actually one of the main reason I purchased the 1911, because a glock is boring and plain to me. A 1911 is something that I can make my own, and with time I will do so.

I'm bummed though my order from buds, has been in "shipping" status since thursday... It's been almost two weeks since I ordered it... just hoping I get it this week so I can take it to the range on Friday... !!!

The suspense is growing to the point that when I get the pt1911, I'm going to scream!..lol

Thanks,
-Nigel

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
BTW, the Kuhnhausen Shop Manuals are the best.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts