Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with Taurus CS to order spare extractors. Actually, I called them twice to verify what I
was first told. Unfortunately, Taurus has added extractors to their list of restricted parts. The CS rep informed
me that this should be a non-issue, as extractor problems are extremely uncommon in the PT1911. She also
informed me that they were placed on the restricted list due to the extreme danger associated with installing them
incorrectly, such as backwards. She also made it very clear that if I chose to install a non-Taurus extractor, my
warranty would be void. On the bright side, she did let me know that Taurus would pay for the extractor and for
shipping the gun back to me should I decide to send my 1911 to Miami for a few weeks anytime I need to have a new
extractor installed.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Ok... if... an extractor was installed backwards, whats the worst that could happen? It wouldn't extract right? Would it even fit right backwards?

I actually started a similar thread in the smithing section a few minutes ago on this.

I'm no smith, but in the years I have shot 1911's extractors do break, I had one break in a PT 1911 a couple years ago. It happens. It is not uncommon at all, for any manufacturer that I know of.

Maybe I am wrong and the others will correct me.

To me it seems more likely that it would be restricted because they were using all of their production in new PT 1911's and as spares for their smiths rather than the explanation they gave you. Just my two cents I could be way off though.

Reactions: aquajim

·
Registered
24,845 Posts
I suppose they are looking at the liability issues associated with customers installing parts on their own guns.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I suppose they are looking at the liability issues associated with customers installing parts on their own guns.
We say there's no harm because we are decently competent gun owners. But remember, for every one of us there are ten bozos who think you should clean a gun while looking down the barrel.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I would install an after market extractor and hold on to the original broken Taurus extractor. If the need ever arises to send the gun back, just put the broken original one in and let them replace it as well.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
We say there's no harm because we are decently competent gun owners. But remember, for every one of us there are ten bozos who think you should clean a gun while looking down the barrel.
Yea just think about how many times we have heard stories of people shooting themselves "while cleaning" their gun! :)

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Yea just think about how many times we have heard stories of people shooting themselves "while cleaning" their gun! :)
In all fairness, you are supposed to make sure the weapon is unloaded... I guess they just us a different method to unload it than we do! :D :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
How on earth do you install an extractor backwards and still get the firing pin retainer in?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How on earth do you install an extractor backwards and still get the firing pin retainer in?
...a little tap here, a nudge there, and some heavy duty dremeling pretty much everywhere else? :p

The speechless, chortling sound I involuntarily made when she told me this didn't endear myself to her, I'm afraid.

Definitely deserving of the dreaded...
View attachment 58942

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
RichO, if you decide to buy aftermarket I bought and installed the Wilson Combat "Bullet Proof" series 80 and it installed without modification and has worked fine for 1,500+/- rounds so far.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RichO, if you decide to buy aftermarket I bought and installed the Wilson Combat "Bullet Proof" series 80 and it installed without modification and has worked fine for 1,500+/- rounds so far.
I tried installing a WC Bulletproof (actually I tried 2), but the retention tab kept letting the FPB drop out. I figured I
would just save myself a headache and order some spares straight from Miami, but ended up getting more of a headache
lol. I sent one (WC B-proof) home with a friend to try, he had the same issue. Then again, I have another friend who
shoots the PT1911 that has been using one for the last 3-4k rounds with no problems. The next time our PT's are together,
I plan to do some comparing to see if I can tell whats different.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I tried installing a WC Bulletproof (actually I tried 2), but the retention tab kept letting the FPB drop out. I figured I
would just save myself a headache and order some spares straight from Miami, but ended up getting more of a headache
lol. I sent one (WC B-proof) home with a friend to try, he had the same issue. Then again, I have another friend who
shoots the PT1911 that has been using one for the last 3-4k rounds with no problems. The next time our PT's are together,
I had the same thing happen to my 1911. I switched the guts to be a series 70 and didn't look back.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
I just got off the phone with Taurus CS to order spare extractors. Actually, I called them twice to verify what I
was first told. Unfortunately, Taurus has added extractors to their list of restricted parts. The CS rep informed
me that this should be a non-issue, as extractor problems are extremely uncommon in the PT1911. She also
informed me that they were placed on the restricted list due to the extreme danger associated with installing them
incorrectly, such as backwards.
OK, I have been semi nice and tried to understand!
Now can/will someone out there tell me of any 1911 part that is properly fitted at the time of assembly that breaks more than an extractor?
I will give you that th recoil spring wears out, but seldom if ever breaks!
Wonder if recoil springs are restricted you know you can put some of them in backwards!
as for putting a extractor in backwards??
the only way thta could happen is in the Taurus factory repair i think!
maybe these sales people/supervisors are working off what they see happen?
I have never tried it but would doubt that you could get the extractor in backwards as the back end would not fit through the extractor groove in the boltface!
well with a big enough hammer maybe you could!
but then how are you going to get the firing pin retainer in place?
Stuff like this just makes it worse!
Step up and be honest!- yea we made it restricted because we thought we should--no excuses or half baked reasons.
IF you are going to shoot bull then at least pick out a spokes person that knows what they are talking about a little.
questions, so many questions!
SMOKE SCREEN! ---Grabbing for straws!!-- Knee jerk reactions!!!

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
OF course most know of how politically correct that i am, for those that are not aware i apologize ahead of time!
"Thats natures way of cleaning out the Gene pool"!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I would install an after market extractor and hold on to the original broken Taurus extractor. If the need ever arises to send the gun back, just put the broken original one in and let them replace it as well.
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Well that completely sucks! I actually have to use needle nose pliers to give FPB a little tug to get it to come out. I have 2 PT1911s, I should try the WC on the newer one just to see what the results are.

Anyway, if you feel adventurous WC does make 2 different models for the .45ACP. One the Bulletproof and the other is simply called the "Heavy Duty". What's the difference? I have no clue! Anyway, here is the HD model:
1911 AUTO HEAVY-DUTY EXTRACTOR | Brownells

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
Anyway, if you feel adventurous WC does make 2 different models for the .45ACP. One the Bulletproof and the other is simply called the "Heavy Duty". What's the difference? I have no clue! Anyway, here is the HD model:
1911 AUTO HEAVY-DUTY EXTRACTOR | Brownells
I think the difference is about 8-10 bucks!--Griin.
I got a couple three Ed Brown extractors but not nay for the taurus 1911 as i have always got the spares from them.
HMMM? wonder if i could sale my taurus extractors like for about 200 bucks each, you know cause they are "Special and restricted", they would complete my package deal of magazines and factory POLYMER cases for those that bought the FS models!
I do believe that Ed Brown list his as for a 70 series, 80 series?
in other words i think they are designed to work in both.
course I haven't needed to repalce one of the extractors so i am actually of little help at all in this matter.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The cs rep i spoke too was pretty cool and agreed it was silly they were restricted especially for a 1911. He said they were forced to add a bunch of parts recently by the legal mouthpieces. He would have gladly sent one or three my way if he could have.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts