Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second time out shooting my PT1911, and teaching my wife to shoot the gun. NEITHER of us can hit paper. Upon closer inspection, I notice the rear sight has shifted way over to the left. I call my "smithy" who is 10 minutes away and he's available to check it out. Bottom line is that I lost the Rear Sight screw. I JUST got off the phone with "Maria" at Taurus Customer Service. She was extremely helpful, polite and a joy to talk to. I got her permission to use her name, and she was familiar with the Forum here. She was happy to hear that I was going to post of a positive experience. She is shipping me (2) replacement screws at no cost to me.

As a society, we're usually so quick to complain when things don't go our way. We need to be equally quick to praise Customer Service when they give excellent service. I got off the phone with Maria with a positive attitude, wished her a good weekend and we made each other's day. Thank you, Maria and Taurus!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Screws are here!! They arrived Fed-Ex this morning. Thanks again, Maria.

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
The service you received speaks volumes for Taurus customer service. For them to willing ship you the replacement screws, free of charge, is proof that they will do everything to satisfy their customers. But to ship it Fed-Ex is above and beyond the call of duty here. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with Maria and Taurus customer service.

·
Super Moderator
14,255 Posts
Thank you for sharing this positive report. I bought a used PT145 last month from a local gun shop; it had some issues so the shop sent it to Taurus for repair. Your story just reinforced my expectations of them. :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aw, SNAP!! Set screws for rear sight don't fit! Waiting on hold for Taurus to countdown to me. Currently #7. Disappointed...wife & I both were looking to shoot the 1911 today. Went to plan B: shoot rimfire! Luckily we also had the Ruger 10/22 and the High Standard Citation along with us.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Aw, SNAP!! Set screws for rear sight don't fit! Waiting on hold for Taurus to countdown to me. Currently #7. Disappointed...wife & I both were looking to shoot the 1911 today. Went to plan B: shoot rimfire! Luckily we also had the Ruger 10/22 and the High Standard Citation along with us.
Sounds familiar. LOL

I presume you have dovetail sight and hex key set screw just locks it in place. I was sent three screws for a dovetail PT24/7 rear sight, but my PT247CA did not have dovetail (fixed sight) and required a headed screw. So I have the following of no use to me.

Uses 2.0 mm hex key x 6.12 mm length x 3.96mm O.D. of threads and 3.76mm thread root dia.

I realize your screw is missing and it's a 1911 pistol, but if the hole sizes is about the 3.76mm ID this may do the trick - I'd be happy to send you one.

BTW: I found my PT24/7CA .40 shoots well without rear or front sight (I've had the chance to try both ways as lost both at different times) - not sure if this speaks well or ill of my shooting ability. LOL

Reactions: Northwoods_Shooter

·
Super Moderator
27,192 Posts
I had the same problem with my 24/7...called Taurus up and they said no problem.....got here in 4 days...2 of them because I wanted a spare.....wouldn't fit......then I realized that it was MY fault!!! I had asked for front sight not rear! Back on the phone to Taurus...grovelling, apologizing.....NO PROBLEM! 3 days later...2 more screws arrived...with the help of a magnifying glass and half a gallon of blue "Loctite" back in business. But as another poster said.....weapon was accurate with just the front sight!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds familiar. LOL

I presume you have dovetail sight and hex key set screw just locks it in place. I was sent three screws for a dovetail PT24/7 rear sight, but my PT247CA did not have dovetail (fixed sight) and required a headed screw. So I have the following of no use to me.

Uses 2.0 mm hex key x 6.12 mm length x 3.96mm O.D. of threads and 3.76mm thread root dia.

I realize your screw is missing and it's a 1911 pistol, but if the hole sizes is about the 3.76mm ID this may do the trick - I'd be happy to send you one.

BTW: I found my PT24/7CA .40 shoots well without rear or front sight (I've had the chance to try both ways as lost both at different times) - not sure if this speaks well or ill of my shooting ability. LOL
Wino...I might take you up on that offer; but I still have Taurus checking into it. I was on hold for just over an hour before "Lou" came on the phone. Friday afternoon...should've known! But that was over 60 minutes wasted on my cell plan, and I only get 500 minutes a month! Kindly let me allow Taurus to play out, and I'll give you a buzz if needed - thanks a million! I don't have a mic, so can't check the specs on the set screw; but Lou verified they sent me the "right" part number...I'll see what happens next week when he gets back to me. Still holding onto hope that this will get fixed.

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went to Fleet Farm where I originally purchased the PT1911. It did not appear that ANY of their 1911's had the screw. Checked on a Blue 1911 and a 1911AR, neither appeared to have the rear-sight screw. On a happy note, while they had ZILCH .22/9mm/.45 ACP on hand, I did glom onto their last 3 PT1911 mags!! Going to the Eagle River, WI gun show tomorrow with my wife...don't plan on spending any money there, but it'll be interesting to see what they have.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Wino...I might take you up on that offer; but I still have Taurus checking into it. I was on hold for just over an hour before "Lou" came on the phone. Friday afternoon...should've known! But that was over 60 minutes wasted on my cell plan, and I only get 500 minutes a month! Kindly let me allow Taurus to play out, and I'll give you a buzz if needed - thanks a million! I don't have a mic, so can't check the specs on the set screw; but Lou verified they sent me the "right" part number...I'll see what happens next week when he gets back to me. Still holding onto hope that this will get fixed.
I just found the paperwork on my wrong screw Taurus sent - it is #26025221 and described as Rear Sight Screw (PT 1911). The correct screw for my PT24/7 sent (is same for both front and rear) was #26901960 (no gun model listed, but it worked).

I'm thinking I've got your sight set screw, so if Taurus doesn't come thru, let me know and I'll mail it to you or if Taurus comes thru (generally on screws they send more than one) and you want a spare - same offer applies. Or, if you want, I can place in tomorrows mail - just need to know before 9:30AM CST Saturday as mail comes early round these parts. PM me your address and we'll get her done.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Northwoods - in mail - picked up by USPS 10:30 AM CST 25 MAY 2013.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I do hope it's the right screw. Taurus called me tonight; they're in the middle of doing inventory, so it will be 15 days before I can expect the new screw. Lou from Taurus CS did state that it was different from the one originally sent, but I didn't get their part # for the screw. I'll be anxiously checking tomorrow's mail and hoping that your part does the trick. I wanna shoot!! Plus...Thursday we're (wife & I) going to the "smithy" (LGS) so she can pick up here new TP-9, a Turkish 9mm!! Her first gun! It's difficult to tell who's more excited - her or me. I do hope this is the start of what will become many husband/wife trips to the range! Thanks again, Wayne!

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
I don't know if I'm more shocked that Taurus CALLED you or USPS hasn't already delivered the screw!!:eek::)

Get your 2mm hex key on hand to install and get some blue or purple Loctite for small screws to be sure you don't lose again. :thumb:

EDIT: Skip the Loctite - not recommended for plastics (sight) and I believe this acts as a locking screw only and is not into metal threads - just applies pressure against slide to prevent moving in dovetail - correct me if wrong.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately, that screw is just a teeny bit too large; it appears to be the same size as what they originally sent...dang!

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Man, I'm disappointed (as I'm sure you are even more so) - just knew this was gonna be a winner since my paperwork said it was for a PT1911. Double dang!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts