Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a PT1911 about 3 months ago and have fired about 600 rounds. Shot 100 rounds today at a full silhouette target at 15 yards and 87 rounds were in the center oval, 13 rounds were comfortably in the 9 ring. The 9-ring rounds were due exclusively to shooting technique. The fact that most of the rounds were in the 10-ring wasn't that impressive, it's big and I expect the Taurus to do that. I fired using one Taurus magazine and one made by Lone Star. The Lone Star has a much stiffer spring. I also fired, alternately WWB, Ultramax 230 gr lead, and PMC Bronze 230gr FMJ. The WWB and Ultramax were sometimes loaded in the same magazine. The Taurus didn't seem to care what it was shooting or care about magazines. Every round went where the pistol was pointing when I pulled the trigger. I was impressed that I had to make no adjustments for any of this ammo. The more I shoot it, the better I like the Taurus.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
It's an interesting commentary to note that the Taurus PT1911 did exactly what was promised. Far too many 1911 guns exhibit one issue or another, but, like you, the only thing worth note on the PT1911 is that there is nothing extraordinary about it. Works smoothly, accurately with a good trigger.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had one issue with ammunition since I've had the Taurus. I shot a box of Independence that looked like I was trying to match a shot gun pattern. At the end of the box, I loaded a mag of WWB and the pistol grouped nicely. Most of my shooting is rimfire and I am accustomed to seeing differences with ammo. Yesterday, I didn't with the PT1911. The only variable in the results seemed to be the guy pulling the trigger. Did darned well with the lowest cost ammo I could find.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Try something fun with your PT1911 :)

Place a tennis ball at 100yds/meters hanging from a string and shoot it with your 45cal. You can actually hit it or very, very close to it. Plus notice that after you shoot, you almost have time to bring your firearm down to your side before the bullet impacts (its amusing).

Slow ammo ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did something similar back in the early 70's. Set up some clay pigeons at about 100 yards. The sun was at the right angle to allow me to watch the bullet through most of the arc. Felt like I was shooting artillery, had to elevate the pistol to get it on target, started calling range and deflection corrections. Got to the point that I was hitting the clays or scaring them to death. Would have been easier with a gunner's quadrant. A whole new definition of follow through: watch the bullet all the way to the target.

The tennis ball sounds like a fun reactive target. It would be a nice change from punching holes in paper.

·
Super Moderator
38,674 Posts
Researching 1911's for purchase is what brought me here. I'm still going strong and so is my PT 1911!

·
Registered
25,010 Posts
1912? A whole new model.

·
Super Moderator
38,674 Posts
Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
37,218 Posts
Reactions: Czechbikr