Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to the range yesterday and shot about 150 rounds. After about 2 mags after cycling 2 rounds the hammer did not lock back. After resetting the hammer fired fine for a few rounds then same thing. Happened maybe 4 times. Ammo was American eagle 230 grain and also perfecta 230 grain. The pistol has only had about 500 rounds through it. This is my first 1911 so I'm in the dark abit. Have never had this issue with any other pistol I have owned. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance to anyone who postes!

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
Did the half cock notch catch the hammer?
or was it completely down?
doubt that is a ammo problem, if it didn;t have enough power to cock the hammer at least to half cock then I would think you would have had a squib.

Reactions: jrf81

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did not catch at half cock it followed the slide all the way. It also cycled properly as the spent round ejected and the following round went in with no issues. I thought the same about the ammo but it did happen a few times with different mags and different brands of ammo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also trying to figure out if I should send it to Taurus or it's something I can fix

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would tear it down and do a real good clean and lube and then see how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
If you haven't done a thorough clean, and especially if it's a new firearm, a thorough cleaning is my first recommendation. It is well documented throughout this forum how Taurus firearms are usually caked with thick, sometimes gummed up, Cosmoline out of the box.

Baring that fixing the problem, send it to Taurus. They'll fix it.

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I would consider it possible that there's either a burr on the hammer or sear, but since you have to take it apart to find out I would start with a good cleaning of those parts. Just the smallest piece of dried preservative can hangup the works of the sear and disconnector assembly and produce a similar problem.

Reactions: jrf81

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just spoke with a friend of mine that is a gunsmith and he mentioned it is more than likely the flat spring. I don't think I mentioned on here that I did have a double fire happen once that day to. I have already went on every ones suggestion about cleaning it. Spent about 2 hours And cleaned every last bit. My friend is going to break it down and check everything for me. I will post our findings when we are done. Thanks everyone for their Input

·
Registered
24,600 Posts
If it has an adjustable trigger, the over travel adjustment may be set too short. Back the set screw out a bit to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
I just spoke with a friend of mine that is a gunsmith and he mentioned it is more than likely the flat spring. I don't think I mentioned on here that I did have a double fire happen once that day to. I have already went on every ones suggestion about cleaning it. Spent about 2 hours And cleaned every last bit. My friend is going to break it down and check everything for me. I will post our findings when we are done. Thanks everyone for their Input
Flat spring is likely what he calls the sear spring.
it actually operates the sear, the disconnector and the grip safety.
if you are having multiple fires with on trigger pull then I think you got fitting problems with the sear.hammer arrangement, wonder if someone messed with the hammer hooks?
hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After doing a complete teardown come to find out the sear spring was alittle flat. It wasn't making good contact with the sear. We were able to reproduce the problem just by using the slide lock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After doing a complete teardown come to find out the sear spring was alittle flat. It wasn't making good contact with the sear. We were able to reproduce the problem just by using the slide lock.
And by flat I mean there was very little curve left if any. I didn't think of taking photos when I had it apart. Put everything back together until sear spring I ordered gets here. Fear of losing parts. When I get it I will supply photos of new and old

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
You could have bent the sear spring to apply more pressure on sear and disco, then try safety checks. When you get new sear spring you may still have to adjust/bend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You could have bent the sear spring to apply more pressure on sear and disco, then try safety checks. When you get new sear spring you may still have to adjust/bend.
As flat as it was it was barely touching if I had put any more bend in it it wasn't going to be long enough to touch the sear

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
:confused: If you are unable to bend spring and still have it contact sear and disco something is out of spec., like slot in frame behind mainspring housing is too low.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With replacement of the sear spring the pistol feels like a different gun all together! Almost no slack in the trigger firm locks on the hammer at half cock and full cock. $16 part made all the difference will post a pictures asap

1 - 20 of 24 Posts