Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blue pt1911 that was in a house fire. It was fully loaded at the time of the fire. I have finally got it pulled apart and I am wondering if it would be salvageable at all. Needs to be cleaned up for sure. The thumb safety is shot but it was bad before the fire. I had intended to send it in to get the safety fixed but it's too late now. Looking for opinions on what I can do with it at this point. In the pic of the casings the top one was in the mag and the lower was pulled from the barrel.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Wow, that's a real shame. I'm guessing only an expert could tell you if it's salvageable. Send it back to Taurus and tell them it's been running a little "hot" lately. Hope you get it resolved!

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
I'd put the remains in a pretty box and keep it as a souvenir of times past. There is no salvaging that gun. Even if it were possible, the cost to do it would exceed the cost of a new one. Just remind yourself of your good fortune that you were not carrying it at the time of the fire, and order a new one!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I would agree that it would probably cost more to repair it than it would cost to buy a new one. I would only rebuild it if it had some very sentimental value. Just consider yourself lucky if material possessions was all that you lost.

Reactions: sparks9293

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I agree it's non-repairable. I wouldn't trust the metal integrity from the heat of the fire.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You might want to take it to a gunsmith and get a real estimate for repair. The thumb safety takes about 3 minutes to replace. The internal parts are actually fairly inexpensive; find the Wilson Combat website and price some. The weapon can likely be stripped, media blasted and refinished professionally for a fairly reasonable amount and the action can have all parts replaced especially if you decide to learn how to do it yourself and you will need new grips. Lots of folks sell take-off grips. I am not 100 percent sure if there are any PT1911 parts that are not swappable with mil-spec stuff.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Lots of good advice here. I vote with Panda about sending it back to Taurus. The worst they can do is say, "Sorry, we can't/wont fix it".

Sparks is right about the metallurgy, too. After the heat of the fire, the slide will be annealed as will the barrel, the two most important components directly affected by pressure. They will not be in the neccessary state of hardness for safe firing. Springs, extractor-claw and such parts will loose their temper, too. Sear and hammer will become softer and will wear far too quickly. In fact, every part becomes an "unknown".

Who knows, maybe Taurus will demonstrate the extent of that vaunted "Lifetime Warranty" and decide that the gun is not "dead", but that it just needs replacement of all the parts except the serial number. KelTec did that for me with a P-11 a couple of years ago - all I did was fire it with an obstructed bore, and they replaced barrel, entire slide assembly, recoil spring, grip frame, and trigger/fire control module. All that came back was the old serial number, all else was brand new, and THEY said, "Thanks for letting us help." So I'm thinking Taurus might do just as well, even though the gun now might look like a total write-off. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Flash

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Sorry about your home.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would not trust the structural integrity of the metal after it was subjected to extreme heat. Play a couple of courses of Taps and give it a respectful burial .........Paul

·
22,058 Posts
I'd put the remains in a pretty box and keep it as a souvenir of times past. There is no salvaging that gun. Even if it were possible, the cost to do it would exceed the cost of a new one. Just remind yourself of your good fortune that you were not carrying it at the time of the fire, and order a new one!
I would second this. Its heat treated which will make it more brittle and weak.

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
typically firearms that are in a fire suffer more from water damage ( same with paper- records, certificates etc!) than heat damage and can be salvaged.
this one from the looks of the ammunition that was in it was exposed to a good bit of heat as well.
I would say due to the cost of restoring the weapon thta likely you could buy a new Pt1911 for the money, likely cheaper.
guns are like automobiles if you start building them buying a part at a time they cost a fortune!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Your best bet might be to clean it up the best you can, put new grips on it and make it a wall hanger.

·
Administrator
40,171 Posts
Turn it into a souvenir or keepsake. Even if it is salvageable, which I doubt, you would be much better off in the longrun with a new pistol.

It's a shame about you home by the way.

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
IF I was going to clean it up and make a wall hanger out of it then i would remove the firing pin, either break or cut the tip off it so the gun could not be fired by someone on down the road without taking it apart and fixing it.
or put a wad of lead in the barrel.

Reactions: Willboat

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
If it was covered by homeowner's insurance, I'd let the insurance company replace it and junk the charred remains.

I'm sorry for all the loss you sustained in the unfortunate fire.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
It would become a momento IMO, not worth fixing a heat damaged gun. Sorry about your loss, but the gun should serve as a reminder that 'things' should be regarded as replaceable. Lives however are not.

Reactions: Slakev

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Unless it has some great sentimental value, the cost to save it would be way higher than the cost of a new one! Just my 2 cents!

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I'd be worried about a change in the hardness of the frame too, but maybe it could handle a .22 conversion kit? Just a thought.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I called CS this morning and they said they would look at it but it would more likely be scraped. Not to interested in paying them to scrap it. I will just clean it up and hang it on the wall. No go on the .22 conversion glenwolde I have a GSG 1911 .22 on order from Buds.

·
Administrator
35,530 Posts
Off topic a little, but did your homeowners insurance cover the cost of a new 1911? Do you have to insure guns separately, or is it covered under the fire?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts