Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My extractor was really tearing up my brass. The factory extractor had some sharp edges that dug into the case noticebly. Since I reload I would like to keep them in good shape. I tried to change it out with some other series 80 extractors that I had on hand from Ed Brown and EGW. The problem is that neither of those will hold the plunger in correctly. It will fall out everytime I go to reassemble the slide to the frame. The factory extractor holds the plunger fine. Should I try a different plunger? Where can I find one? This is a new problem for me and I would like to be able to fit any 80 series extractor into my PT1911.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Before you trash the existing extractor, do a search on "Tuning your Extractor" and you will find such sites as http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm which talks about rounding the extractor hook.

My guess is that it would be worth trying to find a plunger matched to the extractor... Does Ed Brown or EGW do these? Perhaps a phone call to them would give you the information you are looking for. I don't know how the Taurus plunger differs from the typical series 80... you could inquire... ask Richard, the Taurus Customer Service rep...

Since mine doesn't do what yours is doing... there may just be a slight tweaking that could be done... or a replacement that wouldn't like repeat the problem.

Keep us all posted!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Found this information as a guide while searching on "firing pin plunger". Hope it might help.

Insert extractor into slide. Install the firing pin and use the punch to push the firing pin in far enough to clear the firing pin stop cutout. Install the firing pin stop and release the firing pin.
•For Series 80 only: Insert extractor into slide and align plunger cutout with hole. Turn slide right side up and insert plunger and spring. This will help keep the plunger spring from falling out or kinking up in the slide. Push the extractor into place to lock the plunger into the slide. With the slide upside down, depress the plunger and install the firing pin. Push the firing pin in far enough to clear the firing pin stop cutout and release the plunger. It will hold the firing pin forward. Install the firing pin stop and press the plunger to release the firing pin.

http://www.10-8performance.com/id9.html

Edit: One other thought comes to mind... you probably already did this, but compare the stock extractor with your other extractors side-by-side and look for differences that might cause what you are describing. If you want to take some pics and post them up we can help look them over, too. I understand that the Ed Brown part is not a drop in and needs to be fitted. I don't know about the EGW. I have read that the Wilson Combat extractor is a drop in part that may only need the tension adjusted, so you might look at buying one of those if you have to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to tinker with the extractor a bit after reading the tuning tips. I tried a different plunger from one of my other 1911's and it worked with the EGW and Ed Brown extractor but not the taurus extractor. The differences are so small that you really can't see them. I'm going to get a plunger from Brownells as a backup to go with the extra extractors I have on hand. Thanks for those helpful links and ideas!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I polished the extractor hook a bit in some areas and this worked out pretty well. My brass looks much better now and feeding/cycle/extraction is still very good. The problem I am having is I don't like the idea of only being able to replace these parts with Taurus only parts to make my PT1911 work properly if I do experence a failure or just need to replace them in a few thousand rounds as routine maintence. I tried a replacement plunger from Brownells and it would not slip into the plunger tube hole at all. My biggest fear is dropping the plunger or plunger spring while cleaning and losing it. I'd be up the creek w/o a paddle then waiting on a taurus part or a gunsmith :'( . I'm going to find an oversized firing pin stop this week and do some tuning/fitting and see if I can match a plunger/firing pin stop/extractor to my PT1911. My wife and I put alot rounds through or 1911's and the tought of one being down makes me nervous. I may order some backups from taurus if my little experiments doesn't work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts