Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is the one of the main reasons why the ambi-safety of our guns loosens up is becuase of the factory grips. What you think guys?

My grip (Wider coverage of the safety tang)

Taurus factory grip (notice the big gap wherein the ambi can move around and eventually loosen up especially when you move it up, it barely covers the safety tang)

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
I used a dremal to remove the material for American legend grips and haven't had a problem and the tang just about comes out over the top because i got a little carried away and still no problem. it's in the Gallery under my name and two knives and flashlight.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The first thing I did was change the grips and have had no problems. Even after 2000 rounds. You maybe on to something here. :-\

·
Registered
197 Posts
I may try this.. but I think I'll wait until we get some more feedback. thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Properly fitting ambi-safeties should really need very little support in those areas to prevent failure. They should function, and remain, attached to one another during the firing cycle.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
I think your on to something!
I changed my grips as soon as I got the gun. no problems!

Question: Whoever had this problem, were you using stock grips?

RT

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
I changed my grips before even firing it so even with the custom work on the American legends that I did must have worked. I kept taking a little more off till it moved free. I just took a little to much off the top, but it still holds it solid.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Voltair, how about a full pic of that pistol. Looks like you've done some really nice things to that one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've shot mine with factory grips and two sets of after market grips. I had the safety issue with all three. I currently have a set of Pachmayr American Legends on it. The last time I took it to the range with the factory safety, it started working loose after one magazine. I replaced it with an after market safety. I only shot one magazine since then, just to test some reloads, but I didn't have the issue with the safety working loose.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
Nice work looks great bet that draws attention at the range. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts