Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my PT1911 on vacation with me to California and took it to a range. I've previously fired about 200 rounds through it (Winchester ball from Wal-Mart) with no trouble at all. This time, one of the mags would not feed and the gun jammed on me 3 times, putting small nicks on the edge of the polished chromed barrel edge. I took the gun back home and removed the slide and the ejector fell out. The front mounting pin broke off, leaving the broken front pin still attached to the slide and I can't get it out. I'm going to box it up and send it back to Taurus.

I own 4 Taurus firearms and this is the first problem that I have had with their products. After only 200 rounds, this should not have happened. Taurus will need to really impress me with their customer service or I might not buy from them again.

Has anyone heard of this problem with the PT1911?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The same exact thing happened to me. Although mine continued to function and I didn't discover the broken ejector until I disassembled it for cleaning.

Before you send all the way back to Taurus, if you have a local gunsmith who is proficient with 1911's, you might think about taking it to them. That part is basically a generic 1911 part, and is easily replaced. I know it should be replaced under warranty, and would be, but it may be worth it to you to get your gun back in a day instead of months.

That is what I did instead of sending it to Taurus. You could also take this as an opportunity to install a higher quality part.

No malfunctions since then.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Or...

You could do it yourself if you're handy and have some tools.

There is a pin that holds the front post of the ejector in. I know you said the broken off post is stuck in the frame. Here's what the gunsmith had to do to fix mine: First you must punch out the little pin that holds in the post. Then you must take something like a small screwdriver and solder it to the top of the broken post, this is what will allow you to pull the broken piece out.

Then you fit your new part and re-install the small retaining pin.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Impulsive7, thanks for the tip. I might just do that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Out of curiosity, did one or both of you drop a round in from the top instead of from the magazine? This will often break or damage an internal extractor. It may not be evident that it is broken immediately.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
^I think they're talking about the Ejector not the Extractor...

but yeah you're not supposed to load a gun that way (Exception being 92FS and PT92 - they were designed to be loaded thru the slide in case the mags is demaged ot lost)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sent the 1911 off to FL to have it fixed. It took 10 weeks and I got a new replacement firearm.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, I think they forgot about my repair, so in order to 'repair' it within the 'promised' amount of time, they ended up sending me a new gun (which jams all the time).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Try different mags. Make sure that when you load a magazine you smack the back of the magazine on the palm of your hand. That will seat the rounds in the back of the magazine.
It could also be human error. Instead of trying to explain proper technique to you just watch this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts