Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fired three brands of 230 gr ammunition yesterday at 15 yards. Started with Ultramax, the lowest price ammo from Dick's. The pistol fired reasonably well, centering most of the rounds a bit left of the bull. I switched to Independence 230 gr jacketed and ended up with holes all over the target. The results with the independence were so bad I switched to my GP100 and MKIII 22/45 because I thought I was having shooter problems with the PT1911. A fellow at the range sold me a couple of magazines and a box of Winchester ammo for $20 and I tried out the mags. The independence was all over the paper, but his Winchester put a 5-round 1.5" group on a target. It's hard to believe that the ammo made that much difference.

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
Bullet Quality, or the lack thereof, can have everything to do with it!

There are good brands of "Bargain" ammunition and then there are others. You've just found out which brands of ammunition your pistol does not like!

For Budget Ammo buys, consider using the more mainstream brands of Generic Hardball such as Winchester USA, CCI, Federal American Eagle, Remington/UMC, Magtech, and Fiocchi. Walmart has had 100 round Bulk packs of Winchester USA and CCI, but that seems to vary from store to store.

Best of Luck to you with your new PT1911!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had fairly good experience with Independence 9mm. I'm a bit surprised that the Taurus didn't like the .45. Well, it's one to scratch off the list for a while. The upside is that with the right ammo the Taurus seems to put them about where I thought they were going. Expensive to shoot, though. Seems like I get a lot of "How does that Taurus shoot?" followed by "I really like it." Hope I can afford to keep giving shooting demos.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts