Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a PT1911 and I noticed that the ambidextrous safety lever do not line up when you look at the gun from the rear. The right thumb safety is slightly lower than the left (the side with the slide lock/release), which makes it hit the top of the Hogue grip that I installed. I had to cut a small notch on top of the right grip to make sure the safety lever will go all the way down when disengaged. Is this normal? If not,, is there a way I can adjust it so the right lever will line up with the left? Or do I have to take it to a gunsmith?

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
You can try taking them off and lining them back up, they work on kind of a interlocking twist system to create the 'pin' that a normal single sided safety would usually make.

Reactions: FunkyBuddha

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can try taking them off and lining them back up, they work on kind of a interlocking twist system to create the 'pin' that a normal single sided safety would usually make.
Is it not too complicated to do? I don't have experience in gun mods and stuff but I would like to do it myself if it's not that difficult. I just don't wanna mess it up and make the gun inoperable.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The ambi-thumb safety is not designed with the capability to adjust it in the way you discribe the two side are matted with a tung and grove connection and as such can not be altered, the only other thing you can do like a lot of the members hear have done is fit your PT1911 with a single sided thumb safety otherwise a little modification to the top of the right grip panel is in order and perfectly normal.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

·
Registered
36,606 Posts
The ambi-thumb safety is not designed with the capability to adjust it in the way you discribe the two side are matted with a tung and grove connection and as such can not be altered, the only other thing you can do like a lot of the members hear have done is fit your PT1911 with a single sided thumb safety otherwise a little modification to the top of the right
Yep! I am with Cuban on thsi!
there s no adjustment that i am aware of, its pretty much a tongue on one piece and a groove in the other that snaps together, the left side does the work , the right side is just kind along for the ride.
so if you are right handed a singke side safety might be the way to go?
you may want a gunsmith to install it for you if you are not familair with the 1911 thumb safety though.
There is a sticky on top of the page that will walk you through the process that you can check out before deciding.
thumb safeties are around 25-30 bucks and up.
I would guess that its simply a casting/machining error that produced a slight offset in the 2 parts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ambi-thumb safety is not designed with the capability to adjust it in the way you discribe the two side are matted with a tung and grove connection and as such can not be altered, the only other thing you can do like a lot of the members hear have done is fit your PT1911 with a single sided thumb safety otherwise a little modification to the top of the right grip panel is in order and perfectly normal.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
This is actually what the ambi-safety on my Taurus looks like, the right switch is slightly lower than the left. I am considering the Wilson Combat single thumb-safety. Is it a drop-in part or does it need some sort of sanding or any type of modification?
BTW, thanks for posting a picture. Nice Heinie straight-8 sights!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am with some of the others do away with the HUGE ambi saftey taurus uses and go with a single sided saftey.

Any suggestions on what brand I should get? Is the Wilson Combat Stainless Tactical Lever a good one? I have the link below:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Thumb-Safety-Tactical-Lever-Stainless/productinfo/6SN/

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Wilson makes great parts, I have their bullet proof single sided thumb safety in a couple 1911s. Just remember that it is not a drop in part, it will require fitting, there are videos out there on how to instal and check for safe operation. Watch some and if you don't feel comfortable let a gunsmith do it for you.

·
Super Moderator
36,843 Posts
I had a gunsmith install my single sided safety on my PT 1911. I think he charged 40 or 50 bucks....I bought the part. The "fingers" which interlock on the pivoting shafts of the ambi-safety at the center of the frame must be off just a tad.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I installed a wilson combat tactical single sided saftey within a week of buying my pt 1911. There will be some fitting involved,not to difficult if you have some mechanical abilities and understand the how all the internal parts of the 1911 work.

·
Registered
36,606 Posts
I am with some of the others do away with the HUGE ambi saftey taurus uses and go with a single sided saftey.
One of the few things that i dislike about the Pt1911 is those huge ambi safeties!
Now of course I am right handed, if left handed i might love them!
Heres 2 of my Pt1911.s thta had to undergo reconstructive surgery!
I think these are Ed Bown, but honestly any good name brand will work fine, sti, Brown, cylinder N slide, wilson, etc.
the cheaper thumb safeties usually require more filing and fitting than the better brands, but it doesn't have to be the most expensive available either.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here are a few photos of the ambi thumb-safety from differet angles:
DSC_0459.jpg Thumb safety up
DSC_0460.jpg Thumb safety down
DSC_0461.jpg
DSC_0462.jpg I had to cut off a small part on top of the right grip so the safety lever will go all the way down when disengaged

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I installed a wilson combat tactical single sided saftey within a week of buying my pt 1911. There will be some fitting involved,not to difficult if you have some mechanical abilities and understand the how all the internal parts of the 1911 work.
I have watched a couple of videos on YouTube. Looks like I could probably do it myself as long as I do it in front of the computer so I can check the video if I forget a step or two. I need to pick up some stuff though, like a file and sandpaper maybe?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One of the few things that i dislike about the Pt1911 is those huge ambi safeties!
Now of course I am right handed, if left handed i might love them!
Heres 2 of my Pt1911.s thta had to undergo reconstructive surgery!
I think these are Ed Bown, but honestly any good name brand will work fine, sti, Brown, cylinder N slide, wilson, etc.
the cheaper thumb safeties usually require more filing and fitting than the better brands, but it doesn't have to be the most expensive available either.
You did a great job modding those PT1911s. Got the Hogue grips on mine too.

·
Registered
36,606 Posts
You did a great job modding those PT1911s. Got the Hogue grips on mine too.
Thanks! thats my oldest PT1911, it has the Hienie Straight Eight Sights as well, really like those too!
after the reconstructive surgery of the single safety she decided she wanted a face lift soooo!
Burnt bronze and graphite Black Cera - Koat.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts