Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what kind of groups you guys are getting with your PT1911s?

If you mention the distance, shootng position (bench, off hand, one or two handed, slow or rapid fire that would fine :)

I'm still getting the hang of the sights so will sit this one out :-X :-[

·
Registered
73 Posts
Both my PT's are dead on the money with everything I run through them.

This pic was some of the first reloads through the gun when it was new, over a year ago, 1 round every second as per range rules:

My wife has shot this well out to twelve yards unsupported, two handed as have I. If I could afford it, I'd put Heinies on every gun I own. Just the other day, out in the back I popped a clay pigeon at 40 yards two handed unsupported on the first shot. Needless to say both the wife and I were impressed. We usually never shoot on bags or with support as we both find it distracts from proper self defense style shooting. In fact, for some reason I really can't shoot off of bags very well at all. Not sure why other than maybe the muscle memory I've built up with the various forms of two handed, unsupported shooting gets screwed up when I sit at the bench.

Primary rounds are Berry's 230Gr FMJ's over 5.2Gr of AA#2. 230 JHP (Rem, Hornady) over 10+ grains of AA#5 or HS-6 and the most accurate loads are Lasercast 200Gr SWC over 5.4Gr of HS-6 but the leading is terrible.

The first PT1911 and my current carry gun has 3000+ rounds through it with zero failures/breakages etc... And the accuracy hasn't changed one iota. This IS the gun my wife turns to when she wants to feel good about her shooting abilities. In fact we both shoot the PT's better than we shoot her Ruger .22 pistol. Go figure...

The second PT is essentially the same, except it was a year newer. I'll be picking up a stainless model here very soon.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Good shooting. The PT1911 I've had for a year is capable of doing that, when I'm capable of shooting that well. I've had some darned good groups up to 25 yards with the PT1911. I'm not doing quite as well with some of my reloads, but have a feeling that it has more to do with the shooter than the ammo. Not sure what it is about the 1911 (design, feel, weight) but the model has always been something I can shoot better than other pistols.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I can do a 3-4" group @ 20yards on a bench with slow fire. Quick fire @ 7 yards is the same. :shooter: :shooter: :shooter:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I regularly shoot 3-4 inch groups @ 15 yards rapid fire. I can shrink them down to 2 inches if I slow fire. It could shoot better if I practiced more. A buddy at the gun club can put lots-o-ammo through a 1 inch hole at 15 slow fire. I usually feed it whatever ball ammo is cheapest at the time. Right now cheapest is Blazer Brass. I've shot match grade ammo through it and don't notice a difference in accuracy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My average groups run 3 - 5 inches at 15 yards. The best I have been able to do was 1.5 in 5 shot group at 35 ft. I shoot two handed, unsupported, slow fire. The pistol will do better, with a better shooter!! ;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I average 3-5 in. groups at 15 yards. the pistol can do better, when my son shoots he can get 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch groups. But then he is 26 with good eyes, compared to my 60 year old eyes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Several weeks ago a father and son were at the range. Father was shooting a Kimber but thought that a PT1911 would be a good gun for his son. He wasn't sure since he had never fired one. Loaned them my PT1911. Today they were back at the range and the son had his new PT1911. He was making daylight holes in the center of silhouette targets at 10 yards. He was quite pleased with the accuracy and function of the Taurus.

Amen to the 60-year-old eyes. Noticed a while back that all gun manufacturers had started making blurry front sights and the quality of handguns is declining. The old ones didn't wobble as much as the new ones. :D

·
Super Moderator
21,438 Posts
3 to 4" at 15 yards rapid fire, I don't practice to much slow fire unless i'm shooting a hostage target. I figure if I'm in a gun fight i'm going to be shooting pretty fast not one at a time and yellin are dead yet. I could of swore the gun wobble wasn't me I always feel like a kid with a new toy when i'm out shooting.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
This is a two shoot group. A full clip at head in low fire (about 1/sec)

The lower was shot about double that speed... as fast as I could bring the sights back down on the target.

Both groupings were shot at about 10 ft... so nothing to brag about in my shooting. The gun is way more accurate than I am.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts