Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey does anyone own a PT1911 in 9mm? I'm thinking about purchasing a 1911 in 9mm. I know i know that 1911 are suppose to be in .45ACP. I don't want to have to invest in an additional cartridge caliber, plus I love to shoot and I'll go broke shooting .45ACP. Anyways how are the 9mm PT1911's? Are you guys having any problems or is there anything I should know about before I make my purchase? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Id say get it. But you will also want the 45 acp and 38 super 1911 once the bug hits you. Cant go wrong with any caliber 1911.
Agreed! :thumb:

Reactions: Magnum_Gauge

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Is there anything I should know about before I make my purchase? Thanks!
You're going to need more ammo. I have one and love it. Neve had one problem.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I also have both the 9 and 45. The 9 gets more range time :guns:

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Its my best pistol 1911ss 9mm over 6500 rounds thru no issue use for idpa had 2 9 round mags and bought 2 wilson combat 10 round mags but if you can find them metaform has the best 1911 mags for the money due to metall followers. i can put 3 shots in a golf ball sized hole at 7 yards.
jhp
there are plenty of post and pictires on the forum

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! I have watched some vids online where people had failure to eject with the 9mm version. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
Go ahead and get your 9mm. You will love it.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
Thanks guys! I have watched some vids online where people had failure to eject with the 9mm version. Any thoughts on that?
IF the weapon is properly set up to run on 9MM cartridges then it should be just as reliable as the other calibers in the 1911.
There are more reasons for failure to eject than there is room here to list them, shooter error, ammo, gun maintenance, gun condition, etc -etc-etc.
IF you want a more economical shooter and must use factory ammo the 9MM is the chaepest way to go!
of course you miss out on all the power that the 1911 was devloped to take advantage of, but its still a 1911.
actually kind of a 1911 lite!-Griin.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Since changing out the recoil spring for a 12#, the occasional problem has disappeared.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
Since changing out the recoil spring for a 12#, the occasional problem has disappeared.
what is the stock poundage for a PT1911 9mm?
I was thinking 12-13 pounds is about normal for most manufactures with the 9MM?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow awesome info! Thank you guys! Are all 1911 springs interchangeable?

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
wow awesome info! Thank you guys! Are all 1911 springs interchangeable?
NO!
thats a simple answer!
there are many things that determine what spring that a particular 1911 uses!
first is the size of the 1911, a defender-3 " barrel? officers -3 1/2", commander- 4 1/4", goverment -5 ". or a long sldie 6 ".
then what loads are you going to be shooting, for example Colt Gold Cups generally come with about a 12-13 pound spring as they typically are more of a target/match type 1911, My rnage officer (springfield) came with a 14 pounder.
and some springs in the shorter 1911's are dual springs, they are very short and as mentioned usually are 2 springs working together.
if you are going to shoot heavy full power loads then you need a different weight spring than if you are shooting lead powder puff ammo.
Most stock use for everything 1911's are in the 14-17 pound recoil spring.
I am sure others have more to add to this.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,244 Posts
9mm PT1911 ss is on my short list. No Fear

1 - 18 of 18 Posts