Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took possession of my Taurus 38 super about a week ago (with rail, gold accents a MOP grips), sorry to you bling haters, but I just had to have one and after a year and a half I found one. First time out and straight from the box, I generally like to shoot them first before strip and clean, went through a box of fifty round no problem what so ever. I find people who have problem with 1911 in general have problems from the word go. I also see that most Taurus 1911 owners that have no problems in the beginning very rarely have a problem with them at all. Now I know 50 rounds is still no true indication, but I am hoping it is, that I might of got a good one. The reason I just put 50 rnds throught it is because, first ammo is not cheap here in Canada, and second I wanted to make sure it would feed the ammo before buying more, it fed American Eagle FMJ with no probs. Going to buy more ammo soon and play with my new toy some more in a few weeks. Oh yeh, $30.00 to $40.00 per box of 50 plus 13% tax for 38 super ammo.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The supers are awesome, and if you handload you can really bring the cost of feeding them down. I use Berry's plated bullets and Accurate No. 2 in my handloads with a cost of around $6 US/ box using previously fired brass.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on your new PT1911!

I really do like the "bling-bling" of that particular model.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
It's commonly called a Pimp Gun down here. Did you get the Blue or the Stainless model?

And you need to post a picture of it, before Olfarhors or MilProGuy start posting theirs. ;)

·
35,996 Posts
It's commonly called a Pimp Gun down here. Did you get the Blue or the Stainless model?

And you need to post a picture of it, before Olfarhors or MilProGuy start posting theirs. ;)
On your mark...get set...GO!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the stainless model, it was not easy but after a year and a half I finally found one. Taurus do not send too many 1911 up here, but we seem to get our fair share of the revolvers. Hand loading is something I plan on doing in the near future, space and time is limited much like the funds, once I acquire the guns I have an itch for, I'll invest in reloading equipment. I really enjoy shooting but it can get expensive so handloading seems like the only way to go. Praying this 1911 proves to be a good one, not a headache.

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
Just took possession of my Taurus 38 super about a week ago (with rail, gold accents a MOP grips), sorry to you bling haters, but I just had to have one and after a year and a half I found one. First time out and straight from the box, I generally like to shoot them first before strip and clean, went through a box of fifty round no problem what so ever. I find people who have problem with 1911 in general have problems from the word go. I also see that most Taurus 1911 owners that have no problems in the beginning very rarely have a problem with them at all. Now I know 50 rounds is still no true indication, but I am hoping it is, that I might of got a good one. The reason I just put 50 rnds throught it is because, first ammo is not cheap here in Canada, and second I wanted to make sure it would feed the ammo before buying more, it fed American Eagle FMJ with no probs. Going to buy more ammo soon and play with my new toy some more in a few weeks. Oh yeh, $30.00 to $40.00 per box of 50 plus 13% tax for 38 super ammo.
Congradulations on your 38 Super, i hope you are as pleased with yours as i am with mine.
I always clean any manufactures weapon before shooting it, but hey if it works for you then so be it.
you be frum a fureing kuntry and such I have no idea of shipping regs but the best deal on 38 super range ammo is Ammunition to go , they sale fiocchi (another furein cumpany) 129 grain FMJ for 17.50 a box of 50, if you buy 500 rounds it drops to like 17.29, 1000 rounds and it drops to like 17.19 or sumfen like that.
of course shipping is extra.
Locally 38 super is 24.95 per box for FMJ, normlly 130 grain. I reload it for about 8.00 a box of 50, so i can shoot 38 super as cheap as 9 mm.
anyway welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about the rail and gold-LOL

·
Registered
36,039 Posts

UH-OHHH, to late!!!---------:D

Attachments

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
The supers are awesome, and if you handload you can really bring the cost of feeding them down. I use Berry's plated bullets and Accurate No. 2 in my handloads with a cost of around $6 US/ box using previously fired brass.
yep, i save more on 38 Super than i do on 45 acp!
I use Raniers 115 RN or HP, and Accurate #5 and find thats a really clean accurate load, cost is about the same at 6.50-8.00 bucks per 50, depending on how much components that i buy at one time.

·
35,996 Posts
Well, Olfarhors beat me to the "draw", but here's my PT1911 anyhow. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK sorry about no pictures, my daughter dropped the camera during taking holiday picture. We are waiting to come across a good deal on a new one, pictures from my cell phone are not that great and the cable to load into computer is missing. So bare with me I will work on getting some pictures posted.

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
Congrats on the new pistol. Reloading space doesn't need to be a lot, here's my Lee turret press bolted to a 30"x 40" table I made and C clamped to a folding workstand. With the Lee equipment I was set up and making ammo for less than $300.00. It's paid itself off a long time ago.

DSCF8374.jpg

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
Well, Olfarhors beat me to the "draw", but here's my PT1911 anyhow. :rolleyes:

WHAT??? only one??----:huh:
here let me help!!---:icon_ banana:

Attachments

Reactions: blackpanzer

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Czechbikr, that takes care of the space problem seeing it requires little, but here where I live you could add 30-50% more to the start up cost. I have a few friends that load and they have told me they invested $400.00 to $450.00 to get started and that of course does not include powder actual bullets primers etc. The real problem is between work and family obligations and finishing the basement, seeing I 'm doing everything, time is limited but I am certain after basement is done and things settle a little I will start to reload myself, but till then i will continued to get rimmed everytime i purchase ammo, thanks for the imput. olfarhors nice collection, you seem to be a 1911 nut just like me, you can never have enough thats for sure. On a different note guys, do you think Taurus will ever make a 10mm 1911? I sure wish they would, a reasonable price 1911 in 10mm would be sweet!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Damn I'm pissed off, I didn't even think of that. Seeing I love the longslide, I'm surprised that totally escaped my mind, and maybe with a different two tone scheme to make it unique. I guess we can dream about it.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
olfarhors nice collection, you seem to be a 1911 nut just like me, you can never have enough thats for sure. On a different note guys, do you think Taurus will ever make a 10mm 1911? I sure wish they would, a reasonable price 1911 in 10mm would be sweet!
well thanks, But no i HATE 1911's its just that I am addicted, yes i am an Addict, can't help myself!
I am so ashamed of myself.
You never know what Taurus may do or talk about doing, or even put out pictures/descriptions of what they are going to do and then change thier minds!
I would doubt that a 10 MM is coming myself, mostly because they are cutting back on models and calibers.
I would like to have a 10 MM and let a Colt Delta Elite get away from me that i should have jumped on, i was taking medication for my addiction that day!
I think we are on the verge of seeing the Commander size Pt1911 in 9 MM and 45 introduced this year myself, then a couple years down the road the officers size.
they need to keep interest built in the PT1911 and thats the one way to do it.
I would get a full size 10 MM for sure.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts