Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have had a PT145Pro for over a year and the trigger seems to have lots of play in it; it has had this issue since new. I have no resistance on the trigger until it is almost fully pulled. I can move it about 0.600" of an inch before resistance is felt and full pull is just less than an inch.

Does anyone else have a very light trigger? Or slop?

All my other guns have resistance on the triggers. The trigger mechanism appears to be going under the spring portion on the slide, wear pattern, instead of engaging it properly.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That's just the way the PT145 is in SA mode, and for most of the pull you're only taking up the slack, so to speak. The nice thing is you don't have to let it go all the way forward after a shot - just needs to go far enough forward to reset the trigger. Double taps are real easy. If you get a light strike and have to use DA mode, then you'll have tension on the trigger pretty much all the way back. Once you get used to it, I think the milpros have some of the best triggers out there.

·
Administrator
35,160 Posts
Yep - sounds alot like my PT145. Every gun is different, and whast you described is pretty representative of the Mil Pro 3rd generation line.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
It's attractive, effective and eventually you'll just have to hold it now and then because you're so fond of it.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
PT145's are hard not to like. :D

After you've chambered a round the striker is fully cocked, and the only resistance you feel is from the trigger return spring. I usually pull it relatively quickly to the rear to take up the slack, and after a little practice you get a feel for where you're going to encounter the sear engagement. When I practice dry firing I rack the slide to the rear to recock the striker. You don't have to rack the slide all the way back - only needs to move about an inch to the rear to recock the striker. And if you hold the trigger to the rear while racking the slide, you can also practice the short trigger reset.

And if you practice dry firing you should use a snap cap in a milpro. If you don't, and you dry fire it enough, you can peen the firing pin block which can result in light strikes. I know, cause I did it to mine. It's an easy fix, but all things being equal, it's better not to do it to begin with. With a little practice you should be able to rack the slide far enough without ejecting the snap cap, which makes things go much easier. And of course never load snap caps or live rounds directly into the chamber and then let the slide slam forward. Although PT145 extractor's are pretty robust, as well as being spring loaded, it's still a good way to break an extractor. JAT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few times last summer I thought the trigger felt light; then the other day, after firing other guns I went to the Taurus and thought this seems strange. I am glad it is normal and just a weird sensation from switching between guns.

Now I just need to find some "toys" for it!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
To me one of the coolest things about the milpros is the second strike capability. Unfortunately the long uptake on the first shot is the price you pay for that functionality. If it didn't have second strike, I'm sure they could easily have shortened the trigger uptake. But personally I'd rather have the second strike, and it's a feature you don't find on all that many striker fired weapons - unless they're DA only. I'm pretty picky about my triggers too, so again, I don't mind the long uptake. And you're quite right - the more you practice with it the less strange it will feel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the idea of the second strike as well. I have a 9mm that I have to rack and it misfires all the time. With the Taurus I have never had a misfire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Beats the heck out of a Glock trigger. Sorry Glock folks, please don't flame; it's simply true. Doesn't beat a Sig DA trigger though or a Colt SA trigger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts