Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone here shot their pt145 in IDPA at all, if so what holster did you use & how did you/the gun do?

im thinking to start shooting here in SE Michigan and would like to shoot the pt145 along with my XD40. also if you have shot IDPA or other shooting sports with your handguns, what were they and what are your experiences/advice?

·
32,813 Posts
One caveat. The IDPA crowd may tell you that to be competitive you need a full size pistol. At least one with a 4 or 5 inch barrel. That said there is no reason the PT145 or XD cannot be used for competition. It is just harder to shoot the smaller pistols and do well against the other shooters who have full sized pistols. The first year is learning and getting experience under the belt. IDPA crowds are very friendly and will bend over backwards to show you what youn need to know. This goes with coaching new shooters. Fun is the name of the game. As for holsters, will let others take that question. Started out using the PT111 Mil/pro and went to the Ruger P series pistols to compete. Taurus 24/7 and other models were not out yet. PT92s were,but magazines were hard to appropriate in this neck of the woods at the time. Enjoy the shooting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I haven't,but a buddy has used his 145(I use a PT111 sometimes)He's quite good with his.
As for the less than full size gun thing...it all depends on why you're shooting IDPA..if you're a "gamer" you'll only be happy using a full size tricked out gun(like a Glock 34)..but if you're wanting to use a gun you may actually carry a smaller gun can be fun.I often shoot a snubby revolver.When I get urge to be "competative"I'll go to my G17..but more than not,I like to shoot what I carry.Of course if you really want to have fun,shoot a 5 shot revolver(can you say"reload")?
Oh,I think he uses a Kydex holster that fits his Kimber.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i primarily want it for the practical aspects for shooting what i actually carry, i mean what better practice can one get besides regular LEO training/practice. i think that if i want to compete seriously then i would use my XD40 service because i am much more used to shooting it at this point, although my PT145 is getting there and may soon be what im most comfortable with. i kinda thought that the point to shooting IDPA is that you actually shoot what you carry, not like IPSC and other sports. so i would think that it wouldnt really matter that i shoot the PT145 because it is a "real" carry gun.

·
32,813 Posts
I come down on the use what you carry side of IDPA for most of the reasons stated already. It all depends on what one wants from IDPA. There are the tactical side people. Gamesmanship types. And then that area in the middle. There are so few BUG gun matches around here that it is hard to use the model 85 very often for matches. If the small carry pistol is your game, go with it.

·
Super Moderator
35,697 Posts
When I was shooting IDPA regularly, I thought of it as, first, fun, and second, as practice. I really didn't care how competitive I was. I was there to improve myself with my carry guns. I usually shot my P90 or my P85 (also had a P95 for a while), but a couple of times I shot my little Kel Tec P11. Now, they don't get no smaller in 9mm, or much smaller, but the little gun is 3.5" at 25 yards accurate. I normally shot with the slower experts with my Rugers, finished in the faster Sharpshooters with the P11 when I shot it, just a little slower on target and the recoil is a little exaggerated in such a light gun which costs you time. It's the sight radius that causes you to have to take a little longer to get the sights on target. The long trigger didn't really bother me since I'm used to shootiing DA with revolvers and the little P11.

I don't own a Taurus autoloader, but if I carried one a lot, I'd certainly use it at an IDPA match. For one, it gets you used to the gun and gives you confidence with the gun when it functions flawlessly and you do well with it. I shot with and won local matchs with my P90 for years and now days it's my go to gun because I'm so used to it and shoot it so well, but mainly I have a LOT of confidence in the gun from all the match shooting. If someone tells you you're not going to be competitive, just say "so what?" If you're serious about the competition, most of the guys at the top of their class in the service pistol class are shooting Glocks. I don't like the idea of carrying "safe action" and Glock doesn't make a pocket sized gun in any case, so I don't own Glocks. I don't really care about being at the top of my class in IDPA, I just want to improve my skills with the gun I choose to carry. If I were so into the competition, heck, I'd probably be shooting enhanced pistol (1911) and crossing over into IPSC stuff, too. But, I don't carry a 1911, either. I'm a competitive kinda guy, but IDPA to me is a place to compete against myself so that I might improve my own skills. There's no money in it so why worry about beating anyone else?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the replies. i think im looking at this thing about the way you are NativeTexan. i want to have fun and also improve my skills with my own carry guns. i just feel that if a person is going to carry a gun then they should try to be as proficient as possible with it. also, what better testimony to your carry gun than to actually put it to use, practically & legally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One winter, we had a "defensive pistol league". It was loosely based on IDPA style rules and shooting. What I DID notice was that the people with the better scores were using a 9MM. Less recoil, less flinching, etc. While I participated in the league, I used my H&K USP Tactical and did ok. I do believe in using one's carry weapon for those leagues.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have been thinking of trying this at a local range. If I do, I will probably use my Ruger P90 to start out, then shift over to the PT145. I'm not a gamer. I would just want to have fun and learn some new things about defensive shooting.

Todd

·
Registered
790 Posts
Makes sense to shoot what you carry. The scoring doesn't really matter. Confidence in your carry pistol does.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can cerainly shoot the PT145 in IDPA, and a good holster for that purpose is the Fobus SP-11. Same model holster that fits the XD-45 or the HK P2000. 8)

·
Registered
58 Posts
The scoring should matter, as in you should look for improvement in your scores, since that score directly relates to accuracy and elapsed time... the two most important things in a fight for your life!

You can't miss fast enough to win, and you don't want to come in second on speed of the first shot!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts