1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have 9mm Pro and was thinking about getting .45 Pro
lot of negative comments about Pro 45 - not so many about 24/7
seem to be to be very similar
will Taurus discontinue the Pro and go with the 24/7?
hate to buy new gun 2 weeks before they discontinue it
anyone know anything or have suggestion about which way to go?
thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Earlier last year. I was going to pickup a new .45acp 24/7, and it had problems even at the dealer.
Mag fell out while dryfiring it, and also did not lock back on the second magazine, so I passed.
This was about a year ago or so.

Until I hear reports of them fixing all the problems with the 45acp caliber handguns, I am staying away from any new taurus purchases.

·
Registered
153 Posts
BamaVol said:
have 9mm Pro and was thinking about getting .45 Pro
lot of negative comments about Pro 45 - not so many about 24/7
seem to be to be very similar
will Taurus discontinue the Pro and go with the 24/7?
hate to buy new gun 2 weeks before they discontinue it
anyone know anything or have suggestion about which way to go?
thanks
I have the PT145 Pro and I love it thus far. I have only shot it twice, about 150 rounds in total. I haven't had any major problems, except that I don't care for the Heinie sites. With Ammo, I have tried three different types of Ammo and it only had trouble with the Winchester 230 grain hollow points.

I posted a range report thread if you are interested in reading it. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=4583.0

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for report on PT145
really like PT111 and have decided I'd rather have the PT145 than the 24/7
now if I can dig up cash before they quit making them

·
Registered
29 Posts
Most of the issues I have seen have been with the magazines on the 24/7 45acp. As for the PT145's, the only issue was the frame cracking deal years ago which as I said, was years ago.

I have two sub-compact guns, a Springfield XD40sc and a Taurus Millenium Pro 45 3rd Generation. Between the two, I have not experienced any issues with either gun and both have literally close to 1,000 rounds each. Actually if you put the guns side by side, on top of each other, they are remarkably similar to the point that they use the same holster. One interesting note is that the Taurus slide is supported buy a full frame while the XD is not.

I don't want to start a brand war here, I am just saying that my experience thusfar has been great with both guns and would not hesitate to purchase another of the latest generation PT145's.

·
Registered
153 Posts
mdprotector said:
I have two sub-compact guns, a Springfield XD40sc and a Taurus Millenium Pro 45 3rd Generation. Between the two, I have not experienced any issues with either gun and both have literally close to 1,000 rounds each. Actually if you put the guns side by side, on top of each other, they are remarkably similar to the point that they use the same holster.
I took a look at the Springfield XD40 sub before I got the Taurus PT145 Pro. Does your XD40 have a rail? I can't remember if they do or not.

·
Registered
153 Posts
BamaVol said:
thanks for report on PT145
really like PT111 and have decided I'd rather have the PT145 than the 24/7
now if I can dig up cash before they quit making them
Who said they are going to quit making the PT145?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Actually the mag problems are also part of the PT145. Ask my buddy who had his back to Taurus two times already (they finally fixed it this time) for over 5months.
He had problems from the start, and sent it in a few days after buying and firing it. They sent it back, SAME thing, after they sent it back the second time, it is now fine, supposedly they did something with the mag release or catch , who knows, but it really turned my friend off to this gun, and he got rid of it.

I have a 'prefect' (knock on wood) PT145 and carry it, but still makes ya think twice before falling into a customer service nightmare like he did on a brand new gun.
IMO Taurus USA really NEEDS to address this issue and correct it and also stop sending back non-fixed guns to customers saying 'everything is fine gun fired fine' and it still has the same problem. They probably fire a few rounds through it and if it works box it back up and send it back, AFTER the gun sat around for months waiting. :-\

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haven't heard anything concrete about Taurus discontinuing PT145 but all you see in ads and in the magazines are the 24/7
my usual luck is figure out what I want just about the time they quit making it

·
Registered
153 Posts
After my last post in this thread, I have begun having trouble with my PT145 Pro. A few days ago, I got back from the range and realized that my recoil spring assembly had passed through the front of the slide. That shouldn't happen. I had a time getting it back out. I cleaned and lubed the gun and took it out again yesterday.

After firing two clips of Blazer 230grain FMJ ammo, I got a failure to chamber a round. I corrected the problem by forcing the slide forward a bit. But, I guessed there might be a recoil spring problem again, so I unloaded the weapon and disassembled it there at the range. Sure enough, the recoil spring assembly was through the front of the slide again. I took it home, removed the spring assembly, cleaned it and then fixed the spring assembly back into place. Reassembled and took it back to the range to see if it would happen again. I put 3 clips through it, but I got a failure to feed twice on two separate magazines. That was enough for me. Took it home, disassembled it and found the recoil spring through the front of the slide again. Now, I am certain it is a problem that the factory will need to fix.

Damn it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Taurus advised me that on a few of the slides, the opening on the front of the slides for the recoil spring was beveled too much during production. Call Taurus and they will immediately send you out the new spring assembly which will take care of the problem.

Firemax, my xd40sc does have a light rail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts