Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new PT145 and have some concerns about the safety. Sometimes I can pull the trigger and drop the striler when the safety is on. What I mean by that is if I have the weapon in my hand with my finger barely on the trigger and apply the safety with my thumb I can still fire the weapon. This even has happened a few times without touching the trigger at all. I put the safety on and the trigger fires once and then goes into safe mode. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think this is a flaw in the design and address it with this topic:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6514.0

When you say "the trigger fires once" I hope you mean it will dry fire once. Don't test it with live ammo at the range. The safety locks the slide, so firing with the safety on could damage the pistol. If you say this can happen even with the finger completely off the trigger, you could have a defective safety or defective trigger return spring.

·
Registered
25 Posts
any gun is safe until you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't believe it is a flaw in the design. It's like trying to shut your door with your hand in the way. You might get the door shut, but ...

Keep your booger hook off the trigger unless you're fixin' to shoot something.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
tman said:
It's like trying to shut your door with your hand in the way.
I think that is a pretty good analogy. It is like saying you locked your door but some part of your body kept the door from closing all the way so the door bolt would engage, and then blame the lock.

I'm not inferring GJD is blaming the safety, but I have heard others on this forum do so. It all goes back to improper firearm handling.

·
Registered
82 Posts
"This even has happened a few times without touching the trigger at all."

It happens with his finger off the trigger. It sounds like this guns is defective and needs to be checked out by Taurus.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Another analogy to the Mil Pro thumb safety would be a finicky dead bolt lock on your front door, that if you happened to touch the door knob while locking the door, the lock would feel, sound, and look exactly like it was locked. However, because you inadvertently touched the door knob, the dead bolt did not engage and any stranger could open your front door and enter your house.

·
Registered
40 Posts
GJD,
If I'm hearing you correctly, with finger OFF the trigger, the striker fires when you engage the safety, then the weapon is flawed and should be returned for service. I know the P145 will allow you enagage the safety while applying light presure to the trigger and the striker will still fire. It's been addressed here before and I tested my unloaded P145 with the same results. What I can't understand is why anyone would have their finger on the trigger if they are engaging the safety? The P145 I received was liberally covered inside and out with heavy packing grease. Is it possible that some of this "gunk" could be interferring with the safetys operation? Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I would just send it back to Taurus and be done with it. A gun that goes off when the safety is applied is something I wouldn't want in my arsenal.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
I would just send it back to Taurus and be done with it. A gun that goes off when the safety is applied is something I wouldn't want in my arsenal.
I totally agree.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Agreed on talking to Taurus about it. Also agree if the safety is on, you shouldn't be squeezing the darn trigger!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same problem after about 800 rounds through the gun. I clean mine after about every 100 rounds, but i was missing the front part of the firing pin release plate. It got a little dirty and wasn't moving fully forward. All it take is a little space between the plastic and the plate and the safety catch will be in front of the plate instead of behind as it should be.

After you strip the gun down pull the trigger back and clean the front side of the metal plate with a small brush or Q-tip. This may cure your problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree about not pulling the trigger with the safety on in most cases. Every time I clean my guns I put them through a safety check before I reload and put back in service. Part of that check is to see if the safety is operating properly. To me it just makes sense to always be 100% sure that everything is working as it should.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Once my gun is clean and reassembled I make sure it is unloaded again and put a pen or pencil down the barrel and dry fire to make sure the firing pin is working. If it is the pen or pencil will fly out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I tried this with my PT 111 and my PT 145. YES, if you keep slight pressure on the trigger (Pulling back slightly) while engaging the safety, the trigger will still pull and will fire (strike the firing pin). BUT, if you keep away from the trigger while applying the safety, then try pulling the trigger, and it will not move. I cannot believe anyone would have a finger on the trigger for any reason while applying the safety, but just to note that the complaint that the trigger still pulls is a viable one..SOOOOOO.. keep the finger off the trigger at all times unless you intend to shoot..Period. :D

·
Administrator
35,410 Posts
WildRice said:
"This even has happened a few times without touching the trigger at all."
This is very difficult to believe - I've never, ever seen a gun where the safety didn't function when engaged. Still, the posters are right - your finger shouldn't be on the trigger, even with very light pressure, when you're engaging the safety. If you are indeed able to pull the trigger with the safety on, you definitely should send it back and let Taurus fix it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
This is very difficult to believe - I've never, ever seen a gun where the safety didn't function when engaged. Still, the posters are right - your finger shouldn't be on the trigger, even with very light pressure, when you're engaging the safety. If you are indeed able to pull the trigger with the safety on, you definitely should send it back and let Taurus fix it.
A MilPro owner reported a loose metal fragment in their gun that turned out to be a broken inner part of the thumb safety. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6494.0

The broken fragment was the inner tab that engages the trigger bar. Somehow the tab snapped off (I theorize a casting flaw and someone pulling the tirgger very hard with the safety on). The gun from outward appearances looked normal and the safety would snick on and off, but the safety was in reality inoperative and potentially dangerous.

·
Administrator
35,410 Posts
Another great reason to never, ever trust a man-made device - specifically, a gun safety. Safety's are great, as long as you never, ever, trust it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts