Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have had my PT145 for 4 years now. Before today, she only had 60 rounds through her.

Today I put 101 rounds through, 21 where hollow points. Buddy put another 20 through.

I had 2 FTFs. Both FTFs where on the last round of the mag, the original mag. No problems with the new mag. Buddy said that the likely cause is the mag, not the pistol, meaning that she will stay loaded with the new mag and the old one will be a back up mag.

Only serious issue then is that I was shooting low most of the time. I can't tell if it is due to a heavy trigger pull, or my hold. I messed around with the hold some, and on a few of the mags, was able to put every shot inside the size of a grapefruit. Other mags I may only put 1 or 2 right where I was aiming, but at least managed to put 90% of the rounds inside the silohoutte. So, basically, I think I just need more practice.

But, if the sights need adjusting, how? They are non-adjustable.

Secondly, what is the best option for decreasing trigger pull?

Thirdly, I would not mind a laser sight, possibly one integrated in the recoil spring, best options there?

What are options as far as adjustable sights if any?

BTW, all of our shooting was done at 10 yards or greater. And I did horrid when plinking targets. (we went to paper for most of the rounds to see grouping.)

We also put 200 rounds through a glock 17 with 2.5 lbs trigger pull....amazing...and put about 50 rounds through the new Ruger LCP .380...felt like I was gonna break that thing. I outshot one of the local cops (only other person who was at the range) on the first mag of the day, both of us shooting the same glock 17.

I had not been shooting in over 2 years, so I guess it wasn't too bad. I am prolly gonna be hittin up the range now once every week or two or more often. (Buddy goes twice a week or more)

I did not try and holster draws, but we are plannin on trying to work in some situational shooting next month some time. I did some one handed shooting, was easier than I thought it would be, was semi-accurate with it, did not fire with my off hand though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sounds like you had fun shooting. Why so long between shoots? If I go more than a week I start getting the itch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cause .45 costs money. I am a broke college student, and there is nowhere to shoot around here. Only range is a private club.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The front sight on the PT145 originally is a .200 height. I replaced the original with a .150 fiber optic and mine is dead on!

As far as trigger pull... remember the PT145 series is a concealed carry pistol. The weight of the trigger pull is an asset with any gun that must be pulled from cover in an excited moment. Remember that most defense shooting instructors will tell you that once you pull the gun you don't stop pulling the trigger til the magazine is empty. The PT100 series all shoot better with a fast firm trigger pull. These are not target guns... they are "save your life" guns and should be recognized as such.

Like target shooting... try the PT1911. It is a trigger you are looking for in a gun that will slow fire great groups.

Does your PT145 have the rail? You can pick up reasonable rail mount lasers ($100) BUT the recoil of the .45 acp will reak havoc on keeping the laser sighed. It's like taking a sledge hammer to the laser every time you fire. Lasers look cool at night, but are useless in the day. I sight mine, put it on the gun for home protection where after the first shot you are literally better just using instinctive pointing rather than trying to aim in the dark.

PS... I do wish that Taurus made a .22 in the PT100 frame. It would be cheap practice for basics, and allow you to save your money for good ammo and practice with your PT145

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Amen to that Cimmarron! I can make a single hole with a 45 colt 6.5" barrel, or a 22 SA revolver w/4.75" barrel. With my PT, I can get a pattern that is within a 6 inch circle, or on an 8.5 by 11 sheet on a bad day. I can carry and hide the PT all day, but tough to hide a 13" long revolver with a 3"+ cylinder. I do practice with the 22LR, for cheap, guess I need a 22LR semi auto too.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Phoenix Arms makes a great little .22 semi auto. I owned one for 2 years and never had a single issue with it. The are inexpensive too. I paid like $120 for mine new.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same problem when I first started shooting my PT145. Everything I shot was low and left. Almost gave up on it until I realized it was me and not the gun. The trigger pull on the PT 145 takes a little practice to get used to, but after putting about 1000 rounds through mine, its become one of my daily concealed carry guns. After I learned to squeeeeze the trigger instead of "slapping" it, I keep a 10 round magazine in a nice round group at ten yards. I had early reliability problems that I attribute now to CCI Blazer ammo that the Millenium just didn't like. Since I quit shooting the Blazer ammo, I've had zero hiccups. The PT145 is a good gun. Don't give up on it yet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Exactly what jlmcpa said. I've gotten so used to shooting the PT it's sick. I take about half the trigger pull out automatically when I point, and from there it's a steady squeeze the rest of the way back. It cured my "low and left" issues. It just takes practice, but generally low and left isn't the arrow, it's the indian from anticipating the recoil.

I've had zero issues with the gun, and you can't limp wrist it otherwise they will stove pipe, I've watched this happen.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it works out in the future range reports!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts