Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks, I took my new PT145 to the range today to run another 100 rounds through her. I love this pistol. (Here comes the however). However, the friggin magazine kept falling out by itself after the first round was fired. My PT145 did this the 1st time I went to the range, but I thought it was my thumb hitting the release. This time I made sure to hold my thumb out away from the grip. I tried both magazines with the same results. When I would hold the magazine in with my pinky underneath, the PT145 was absolutely flawless. All 100 rounds went POW!! Even with WWB el cheapo ammo. I noticed when I would insert the mag that the click into the handle was very soft. Not really necessary to whack the thing to seat it. I also noticed that you barely had to hit the release to drop the mags. When I got home to clean the pistol, I started fiddling with one of the mags and used a screw driver to pry open the catch slot on the magazine a little. Now when I insert the mag either loaded or unloaded the click into place is a little more agressive and sounds solid now. I also have to give it a slight whack on the bottom and now when it clicks in it feels like it is locked in properly. Hit the release and it drops nice too, it is not snagging at all on the inside of the grip. I also looked at the mag catch/release inside the grip and it looks good. The spring tension feels fine. What do you guys think? Does she need to go to Miami or maybe new mags, or at least 1 new mag, I don't know if they will replace the one I screwed around with. And luckily I am here in Ft. Lauderdale. Maybe I can hand deliver to Taurus in Miami, if not the dealer I bought the gun from will send it in.

:???:

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
Is it one mag in particular, or both mags? You may have to mark your mags if it's just one. If it IS just one, you may just have to send the magazine back to Taurus. If it's both, however, you may have a more complicated issue.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was with Both Mags.  I am 100% certain I was not accidentally hitting the mag release.  When I got home from the range, I cleaned the gun and magazine. Then on one of the mags, I placed a small screwdriver into the Mag catch slot and gently pulled out the top lip of the catch slot slightly, Now when it goes in fully loaded or unloaded, it gives a good click with a rap on the bottom to seat it in place and drops just fine when I hit the release.  In comparison, the mag that I did not mess with barley has to be pushed in and a light click into place.  I did conduct an experiment at the range.  I loaded 1 round and fired. With the mag empty, it did not fall out after I discharged the gun. So I am wondering if the catch/release on the inside of the grip needs no be slightly adjusted to stick out a little further.  That maybe the pressure from firing and the weight of the loaded magazine is too much for a weak catch/release that does not protrude far enough into the mag to hold it in.  When I hold the mag in from underneath while firing , the PT 145 is a flawless, perfect gun for me.  But I am afraid right now to use it as a CCW.  I am back to the Bersa 380 until this can be resolved.  For some reason I really don't think it is a mag issue.  The gun is only a month or so old and only has 200 rounds through it.  I am hoping if I have to send it in, the turn around won't be so bad since I am only 20 miles from Miami.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
It sounds to me like your mag catch is slightly out of whack. When you tweaked the one mag you compensated for the mag catch. I'll agree with talking to the shop and possibly Taurus.

Steelheart

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spoke to Taurus this morning. They said it is the mag catch with out blinking an eye. The shop I bought the gun has a smith on staff. Taurus said that if he can remove the catch they will send him a new one to replace it. I don't have to send them the gun. I only bought it 30 days ago so I am hoping the place I purchased the gun will do the stand up thing and put the catch in free of charge. I will let you know how it goes. I was impressed with the quick response on the phone, it only rang twice and got a service guy on the phone. I really love this gun, so I hope this fixes the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hockeynut,
Please keep us posted on what you find. While I like mine for how it feels and how well it shoots when it does actually fire, it has a long way to go to earn my confidence in it's reliability. I have a lot of misfeeds that I think are related to the mags being held too low in the grip. Also, the mags don't feel consistant as they are slid into place, and now it is slamming the slide closed when the mag is slapped in, which could also be from the mags sitting too low. I know some will say this is a "feature", but I don't think Taurus says that, nor do any of my other guns behave this way.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read here in this forum somewhere written by one of the more experienced gun owners that most guns if you slap the mag in real hard, the slide will release just due to the pressure. I have not had any misfeeds with the PT145 when the mag is held in with my other hand or pinky. I called again this morning to see if the catch was sent out from Taurus and now a guy tells me either today or tomorrow. I leave near by so I hope it won't take long. I have a Mag that I pulled the catch lip out a little with a small screw driver and that mag seems to click in nice like you would expect. I pushed from the top with the slide open and that sucker doesn't budge. With the untouched mag it takes a push but will pop out of the bottom. I don't want to tweak both mags so I will give the new Mag catch a chance. Jsut hate placing a 30 day old gun with less than 250 rounds through her in a closet to just wait around for a catch. Luckily I still have my Bersa 380 which has never failed even once. I will never get rid of my Bersa.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off I want to thank Draeger for the great post on how to remove the Mag release/catch. I can do it in 3 minutes now blind folded. Since I am still waiting for Taurus to mail me the new catch, I figured I would mess with the one I have. I first removed the Mag Release from the frame and broke out the old dremel. I took some material off of the catch on the inside. There is a little lip there that stops the Mag release from going too far left or too far to the right. I tweaked it little by little and now the Mag Release is protruding a little more outside of the frame where you pres with your thumb, which inturn now put more of the catch into the Magazine. Now when it clicks in it feels soild and locked in. It takes slightly more pressure to release the Magazine but it does not hang up and the magazine fires right out. Before you barley had to push the magazine into the grip to get it set in, now you have to give it a nice rap on the bottom to seat it properly, which from what I understand is how it should be. I am waiting to go to the Range to see if my fix worked, if not I will still have the new catch from Taurus. I can swap it out real easy. What do you guys think. Did I fix it?

By the Way still waiting for the new one in the mail.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me what we can do with a Dremel!!

I know I have read here, where mags, that had the slot in the wrong place, slightly or in some case totally wrong, were cut or adjusted to fit. I guess there are many mags, that look alike but only very minor differences make them unusable in certain guns.

Or in your case, the catch was just a hair short, and would not engage enough. I hope it works out when shooting for you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I just received the replacement magazine catch from Taurus yesterday and compared the new one with the one that was in the gun when purchased. The catch seems a little different in that the tab that I dremeled down in the original looks similar to the one they sent me and the lip that actually catches the mag seems a different shape slightly. Also, the original catch had a numeral 2 on the back of it. The new one does not. Don't know if that means anything. However, now when I place a magazine in the gun it feels like it clicks in with authority. I won't know if it is 100% till I hit the range. I am keeping the one I machined a bit as a back up. Just in case.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am absolutely happy with Taurus. They sent me my new catch within 7 bus. days. I replaced it today and took it to the range. I ran 50 rounds of S&B 230 grain rds. The PT145 ran absolutley flawlwss. The magazine stayed in place and the gun had no FTE FTF or any other issues. I am now confident enough to make this my primary CCW. I will use the Bersa 380 depending on what I am wearing now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went to the range yesterday and ran thru 50 rds. The gun was perfect. Thanks Taurus for sending me the mag catch release so quick and making things right. Love my PT145.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.