Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i must first say.. great group. i stumbled on you guys this weekend and i find the site very informative. i have a quick question on my pt145 mill. pro. i have ran approx 500 rounds thru the girl and has done well. i tried 50 blazer brass thru it a couple of weekends ago. it jammed a couple.the prime end of shell caught the slide and front end of shell started onto the throat but stopped there. basically leaving the slide open and the shell level comming out of the magazine(bullet end didnt start its upward travel). i raked the slide and the shell finished loading. this happened probably three times out of that box of 50. so i decided no more blazers. i have been running winchesters, but i was a tight wad and so on and so forth,, but anyway this is my carry gun so i slid the clip back in with the gold dots and didnt chamber it (which is the way i usually carry). well this weekend i chambered one and low and behold same prob. with the hollow points it does it every time raking it with your hand ( i havent tried firing it yet). i put some winchesters in (target wads) and it loads them with your hand. i dont like carrying that round so i am carrying chambered right now with the gold dots.

any ideas?
the throat is still smooth, but the blazers have kind of made part of the thoat a little dull. still feels as smooth as before just dull. i have cleaned the gun and oiled and all that stuff. and it used to load the gold dots no trouble. also a time or two by hand when it entered into the chamber it didnt slide all the way in. i barely depressed the back of the slide and it went on in and closed. probably a max of a quarter of an inch

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use my pt145 as a carry piece too.

I have not come across what you are describing, and just tried to manually go through a few rounds by hand.
(<<NOTE>> I have 10 dummy rounds I reloaded without primers/powder JUST for this type of thing)
Even though I did it pretty quickly by hand, the 3rd round got stuck halfway out the ejection port.

The gun has about 500 rounds with not one issue ever, I have tested, remington HP's, Speer Golddot's,
MFS +P HP's (very short nosed rounds), and a few others. I refuse to shoot anything steel cased in a pistol,
so never tried the wolf or blazers.

I trust this gun with my life and am not worried. It is very hard to cycle the gun by hand with the same force and
speed as firing it and having physics do it.

I say go to the range and try it ASAP though if it's your main carry.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry for your trouble, and I wish I had an answer for it. Blazer Brass is what I put in mine practically 95% of the time and I haven't had a prob yet, which is fortunate for me since that is what seems to be the most economical for target practice. I know you say you have cleaned/oiled it and "all that", but maybe you have missed a spot of importance. I go over mine in every nook and crack after every trip to the range with cloth squares and cotton swabs(making sure no cotton tears off) then I lightly oil it using swabs on every part of friction. Then after reassembly I give it a half-dozen or so racking of slide actions. This may or may not be the solution, just telling you what I have done. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
MPanova said:
Does it do it with both mags?
That was gonna be my question as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies, and yes it does it with both mags. i bought a diffrent hollow point today, and for about the first 4 or 5 it didnt do it and then it did on a couple. it did jam a time or two on ejecting, but i attribute that to the gun isnt made to eject the shell with the bullet still on it. i have never had a ejection prob, and i dont expect one now. i may tear this rascal down again tonight and see if i have missed cleaning anything. took it to gander mtn. tonight gun smith said he had roughly 80 guns infront of mine, but since it was my preffered carry piece he would get it in 2 to three days. i may go this route if i cant figure something else pretty soon, but for now i am carrying chambered where i know i have one, and if it jams i cam rerack it a time or two and it goes in. hate being like that, but every thing else i have is either too small to carry (25 auto) or too big (like 44 mag, 500) this is the only thing i feel safe with that i can carry comfortably.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why are you reticent to carry with a chambered round. I daily carry a 3rd gen Pt-145 with a round chambered and with the safety off and am quite comfortable doing so. Not passing judgement - just wondering.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem. The gun would jam and the bullet was level coming out of the mag. I took the mag apart and noticed that the bullets were scrubing the front of the mag. I cleaned it up real good, oiled and started tapping the mag after I loaded it, no more jams.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shaggydog said:
Why are you reticent to carry with a chambered round. I daily carry a 3rd gen Pt-145 with a round chambered and with the safety off and am quite comfortable doing so. Not passing judgement - just wondering.
well the reason i dont, if it were just me and my wife i most likely would, this gun i know has the firing pin block and i feel comfortable with it and several other of my guns. the reason i dont, i have four kids from ages 22months to13yrs old. if my gun is out of the safe it is on my hip, never under truck seat, ect, ect.... saying that the chances of a gun somehow going off chambered, versus not, well i dont have to explain that to ya. with kids you never know from one second to the next whats comming up and that is a risk i just prefer leaving unchambered. enough said i guess.
on to the problem.... i figured it out. last night i decided to start from scratch again and reclean and everything.... guys i cleaned a shiny gun i aint kidding, still done it. so i went back to the clips. when i have taken this gun to the range i normally just take the clip, the one i am carring (dont ask why i just do) well the last range trip i used both clips. when i found this prob was happening i unloaded both clips, loaded one with hollow points, problem happened, so i fully unloaded the clip and i rember wife finishing cooking supper so i ate and come back and loaded the next clip. being both clips look the same apparently i loaded the same clip again, so last night i went thru the clip thing again and as some of you expected i have a bad clip. so i feel like an idiot now...lol. but i called taurus today and they said to mail in the clip and they would replace it.. great news!!!!!! so long story short never go to eat supper in the middle of a gun problem solving event...lol
thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
looneeetunes said:
i must first say.. great group. i stumbled on you guys this weekend and i find the site very informative. i have a quick question on my pt145 mill. pro. i have ran approx 500 rounds thru the girl and has done well. i tried 50 blazer brass thru it a couple of weekends ago. it jammed a couple.the prime end of shell caught the slide and front end of shell started onto the throat but stopped there. basically leaving the slide open and the shell level comming out of the magazine(bullet end didnt start its upward travel).
This same thing happened to me round number 9 in a new 3rd gen with Blazer 230gr FMJ ammo. Took a couple of upward assists on the mag to move things along.I had done a general clean before first firing. Since then, I've really GI'd it every time, and have disassembled both mags and got the gunk out of them - very grungy.

Switched to Winchester FMJ for the range and no problems.

Cheers!

harleyb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts