Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just signed on, new to handguns. I heard alot of good things about Taurus, so decided to go with one...

I purchased a Taurus PT145 back in November of 06, brand new at a gun show.

Im not too keen on the exact terminology yet of the gun parts, lol, so please bear with.

I would say since I bought the gun, I have fired less than 200 rounds thru it. This problem started the second time I used it, and with the lack of time look into getting it fixed, it has been pretty much sitting idle ever since.

The problem is, the return spring assembly, which fits in the front of the gun just below the barrel, will pop out of the slide--literally out of the front of the gun--about 1/4 inch-- and as a result, the slide wont return back to its starting position. When this happens the gun wont fire--and sometimes a shell will jam in the breech, as this happens right after it is fired--on the return of the slide.

It looks to me like the return spring needs a washer on it to keep it from popping out--if I push it back in the gun works fine for about 10 rounds, then it happens again. I would really like to get it fixed--if I can do so myself--or at least know what to expect sending it into the gun shop.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else had this happen? Whats the best way to fix, and does anyone know a good place to get the parts?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!! Im almost afraid to send it back to Taurus, because of what I have read here about them taking forever to get it back-- but if thats what has to happen, ok. I dont care at this point if its warranty or not, I just want the gun working right. Ill put in a call to Taurus CS and see whats up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Taurus has acknowledged that a very few of the return spring area hole on the front of the slide on some pre 2007 models was machined a little too much. The fix is a return spring with a washer on the end. Seems like a few pre-2007 production return spring slide holes were slightly beveled too much duringthe machining process causing this issue.

Just give them a call and they will take care of you. This is a rare problem however they are taking it very seriously by sending out a new enhanced return spring assembly which takes care of it.

Just for the record I've got a PT145 February '07 production model that has well over 1,000 flawless rounds through it. One of the most reliable carry pieces I own, enjoy your new 45, it's awesome!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Im going to call them tomorrow and see what they will do.

Right now I cant even get thru a clip of rounds without the spring popping.

Is this something they will just send you under warranty; or is it something you have to buy? If its just a new return spring I have no problem installing myself.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Daytrepper said:
Thanks. Im going to call them tomorrow and see what they will do.

Right now I cant even get thru a clip of rounds without the spring popping.

Is this something they will just send you under warranty; or is it something you have to buy? If its just a new return spring I have no problem installing myself.
Should be a warranty thing. They will probably send it to you with just a serial #. Someone on here had a new one sent for his PT140, no charge. I'm sure they'd rather mail you one, rather than get your gun, fix it and pay to ship it back to you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Called today. As soon as I described the problem they asked for my address and said a new spring was on the way. No questions asked, no serial numbers. Ill see what happens when the spring gets here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts