Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Member, Hi to All,

I really like PT145 and consider it as one of the best CC gun, if available in DOA ( I reviwed PT745). The following is well taking point from one of Taurus forum.
“Gun has no hammer or decocker. When you chamber a round in you are holding a striker ready to go, fully cocked with no way of decoking. There is no way to carry a chambered and cocked gun. Safety can get snapped down, and foreign object press the trigger”.
Valid concern- isn’t?. Will Taurus consider PT145 DOA in addition to SA/DA? What do you think about it? Please be specific and stay on subject. Thanks in advance.
Rock

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well, it's a valid point. Hadn't thought about it much - I carry in a quality holster, and if the safety gets pushed down in that thing, I've got a whole lot more to worry about, 'cause I apparently just got pushed out of a helicopter or something. ;D

Seriously, it might warrant a warning about carrying in a pocket and/or that you should carry in a holster. Other than that, I don't know.

Interesting. Causes me to think about other models and brands. Very interesting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: PT145 Pro Safety issue.

There is a thread on decocking PT145 by partially opening slide, etc. I personally don’t think it is a good technique. I check trigger pull on chambered PT 145. It is much lighter and shorter pull than I thought, which should be for the SA. The PT145 is SA action and only DA when round was misfired. The only and only way to decock chambered gun is to fire it!
rock

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have thought about this with mine too, but I check the safety from time-to-time and make sure it's on. In my holster, you can't get to the trigger without take the gun partially out. The only "safety" problem is the safety itself disengaging and the trigger being pulled, not just jarred, but pulled. That being said, if something is pulling on your trigger enough to shoot the gun, even in SA, as Kansas_Plainsman said, you've got more problems than you might think. I have a Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm that is DA but I don't worry carrying the PT145 anymore than with that. I think, just as a matter of course, that if you are carrying you are automatically prone to notice small things happening on or around your hip and if anything was to come close to your weapon, you would notice it before it ever got to the trigger, etc.

You should always be aware of a gun discharging when you don't want it to, but worry... I don't. If the safety fails, I'll have (or my wife) a good lawyer talking to the people at Taurus about quality controls, etc...

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Staying on target, the Taurus has a safety. Glocks function in an identical fashion, but they have no safety. Both guns require the trigger to be fully engaged before they will fire, but you are correct that both guns are fully cocked with relatively light trigger pulls. Personally, I have found that the Taurus external safety is not easy to work off without human intent. I have carried it until I am comfortable with the "cocked & locked" assignment.

Would I prefer a decocker like the OSS... yes, and I suspect it will be a part of the next generation to allow the choice, but until then, I am comfortable with the on safety when I carry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.