Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my PT145 Mil Pro to the range today. This was the second time I have shot it at the range. During the first time, I found that I was shooting low and to the left at 25 yards. I am not the best shot in the world, and I am a bit rusty, so I figured it could be me.

So, today, I went to the range with the following goals.

1. Try Winchester 230 grain Hollow Point Ammo to see how it cycles
2. Shoot for accuracy with Winchester 230 grain (non-hollow point) using the Heinie sites
3. Shoot for accuracy with my new Insight Laser/Light combo using Winchester 230 grain non-hollow point.

RESULTS
1. I put through 3 clips of the Hollow point ammo. I found that it cycled okay, but I did notice that the slide was not slamming smoothly back into place after each round... it seemed to be stressful for the weapon to chamber a round and close the slide. By the 3rd clip, I had 1 failure to chamber a round in which it appeared that the nose of the round was positioned against the bottom part of chamber. The slide was open, exposing the round. I was able to apply a moderate amount of forward force onto the slide and the round then chambered properly. I think I will be avoiding this particular ammo for this gun as it seems to stress the weapon. I cleaned and oiled this weapon about 12 days ago after my previous range trip.

2. Using the non-hollow point ammo, I fired 5 clips using the Heinie iron sites. I experienced no failures with the Winchester non-hollow point ammo. The weapon cycled each round perfectly. As for accuracy, on my previous visit to the range, I shot low and to the left. Mind you, I am putting the front site white dot directly on target. I had adjusted the rear site for Left/Right correction earlier in the day. I am careful with my breathing and with my trigger pull (squeezing smoothly). I noticed that my left/right aim was very good but I was still shooting low, 15 yard target... about 12 inches low.... very low in my book. Yikes.

3. I installed my new Insight laser/light combo on the rail and fired off 5 clips of ammo. WOW! The laser was nearly dead-on accurate right out of the box. Without using the Heinie sites and focusing only on the laser, my aim was very accurate at 15 yards both vertically and horizontally. On one target, I shot 10 rounds, got 2 bulls eyes and the rest within a 3-4 inch group.

CONCLUSION
What the hell is up with these Heinie iron sites? I have just confirmed that the gun is accurate with the laser but not with the Heinie sites. I considered the possibility that it could be the way I was physically aiming through the iron sites, so I did use two different stances with little change from either stance. I am no expert shooter, so I suppose it is possible that hmy results with the Heinie sites are attributable to me... but I don't think so... at least not to the degree I am finding. I feel that I will need accurate iron sites on this weapon, so I need to decide what to do about these sites. Maybe a vertical adjustment is possible with the front site... I have no idea... but if so, maybe that is what I will try next.

I like the Insight laser/light combo. The laser light had good visibility on brown and black background targets at 15 yards. The sky was partly cloudy/sunny. I am very accurate with this laser. This laser has given me more confidence in the accuracy of this weapon and in my own ability to shoot accurately with this weapon. I highly recommend this add-on.

About the Winchester 230 grain hollow-point ammo... I don't think I will use this ammo in this gun. The gun seemed to have a difficult time chambering each round. The winchester 230 grain non-hollow point ammo worked fine.

One last note... I am not sure about this trigger yet. I realize it has a long travel to it... that isn't the problem so much. To me, there is a large difference between the amount of force required to pull the trigger from its resting position to the point just before it releases the firing pin. What I mean is... just before the trigger releases the firing pin, the resistance on the trigger increases greatly.... too much in my opinion. I noticed that it was a bit distracting to me. Maybe I need a trigger job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey nice report. I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck with the sights. I was able to get a center-mass sized group at 50ft right out of the box with the stock sights. 2nd time out I shot at 8 yards and produced a fist sized group at the center of the target. That being said I am not in love with the sights.

I've only put a couple of boxes of 230 CCI blazers thru the gun. No jams, no ftfs, just smooth functioning gun.

-Mark

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
riderundead said:
Hey nice report. I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck with the sights. I was able to get a center-mass sized group at 50ft right out of the box with the stock sights. 2nd time out I shot at 8 yards and produced a fist sized group at the center of the target.
I am certain now that the gun is accurate. Me.... that's another story. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very nice report firemax! I found that if I put more space between the Heine dots that my PT-145 will shoot right on. Make a figure '8' -- not a snowman. I also had to move my rear sight to the left. I installed 'Nitesiters' to my Heine dots and I like them just fine now.
But I would like to add an Armalaser too!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PT145man said:
Very nice report firemax! I found that if I put more space between the Heine dots that my PT-145 will shoot right on. Make a figure '8' -- not a snowman. I also had to move my rear sight to the left. I installed 'Nitesiters' to my Heine dots and I like them just fine now.
But I would like to add an Armalaser too!
The Armalaser is nice... it was my first choice, but then I realized I wanted a light too... thus the Insight X2 seemed to be the way to go for me. I like how the Armalaser fits though... it looks like it is part of the gun itself.

The X2 works great though and I like it a lot. I heard stories about other lasers falling off of the rails because of recoil and people having to resight them after 2-3 clips (not the Armalaser... some other brand). The X2 on my gun seemed to hold up just fine and was accurate through all 5 clips.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Firemax,
I forgot to mention that I felt the same way about the trigger but I've gotten used to it pretty much.
The main problem with the Heine sights is that the height of the front sight is too tall. You have to put so much space between the dots that the front blade is noticeably higher than the rear sight + hold on rather than 6 o'clock like the Taurus book recommends.
I would like to see the X2 in person to know how large it is. I like the idea of a light in addition to the laser as long as it isn't too large of a rig.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PT145man said:
Firemax,
I forgot to mention that I felt the same way about the trigger but I've gotten used to it pretty much.
The main problem with the Heine sights is that the height of the front sight is too tall. You have to put so much space between the dots that the front blade is noticeably higher than the rear sight + hold on rather than 6 o'clock like the Taurus book recommends.
I agree, that is my experience also.

I would like to see the X2 in person to know how large it is. I like the idea of a light in addition to the laser as long as it isn't too large of a rig.
It is certainly not as compact as the Armalaser, but it is fairly compact in size. The flashlight part of it extends a bit in front of the barrel of the gun as you might expect, but the unit housing fits perfectly to the end of the gun. It is a bit wider than the gun because of the release switches that allow it to lock onto the rail. The toggle switches extend on both sides of the trigger guard and are within easy reach of the fingers of either hand. When installed, the X2 looks as if it were designed specifically for the PT145. That is how good of a fit it has.

With the X2 installed, the gun will not fit into my holster which is made for the PT145... but I didn't expect that it would. There are holsters that will fit the PT145 with the Insight X2 installed on the rail.

I like how it looks on the weapon. It is not as good looking as the Armalaser, but it does look great on the gun. Anyway, I am for function over form. I need the light for home defense... in the case of a nighttime burglar, the thought of having to go through a darkened house without a light does not appeal to me. A laser only doesn't fit my need. I wanted the light too.

I took some pictures of it installed on my PT145 last night. I will upload them as soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are a couple of pics of my PT145 with the X2 installed..

Here is a production pic of a PT145 with the X2 installed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PT145man said:
Hey--you're PT-145 is identical to mine. Did you buy it from Cabelas? The X2 does look good on it. Is it bright?
I bought mine at a gun show here in Georgia. I like it so much, I intend to buy a second one in the next few weeks. The next one will be all black.

I did a walk through with it in my house with the lights off and it is plenty bright. It has a focusable beam which means you can make it narrow and very bright, or spread the beam out wider. I settled on a focused beam. I shined it in a mirror and back at myself and it is bright enough to temporarily blind a person if you shine it in their eyes. It uses a single lithium CR2 size battery which is a powerful battery. The lithium CR2 batteries cost about $5-$7 each depending on where you buy them. My X2 came with a spare bulb also.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The heine sights have to be 'learned' to shoot with accurately. They are to be aimed with differently than with a normal 3dot.

On that note, I got a set of fiberoptic firesights I had laying around from my PT111 and they are great on the pt145.
Accurate out to 50feet, which is the max I shoot this gun for accuracy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mrnuke7571 said:
The heine sights have to be 'learned' to shoot with accurately. They are to be aimed with differently than with a normal 3dot.

On that note, I got a set of fiberoptic firesights I had laying around from my PT111 and they are great on the pt145.
Accurate out to 50feet, which is the max I shoot this gun for accuracy.
One thing I find is, the suggestion in the manual about how to shoot with the Heinie sights does not work for me. I shoot low with the sites when I shoot as the manual suggests. I find that I must bring the front dot up well above the rear dot in order for me to shoot vertically accurate.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
firemax said:
One thing I find is, the suggestion in the manual about how to shoot with the Heinie sights does not work for me. I shoot low with the sites when I shoot as the manual suggests. I find that I must bring the front dot up well above the rear dot in order for me to shoot vertically accurate.
I will agree with you on that. I have to almost have the front dot, at the top edge of the rear sight.

I thought it was totally me, until I got a 2 1/4" snubby, and my first trip shooting the snubby, 75% of my shots were at or above the center line of the target at the same range. No I did not cut a hole with the 38's, but I did with THE JUDGE, but mine has a 6 1/2" barrel.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Robby said:
I will agree with you on that. I have to almost have the front dot, at the top edge of the rear sight.

I thought it was totally me, until I got a 2 1/4" snubby, and my first trip shooting the snubby, 75% of my shots were at or above the center line of the target at the same range. No I did not cut a hole with the 38's, but I did with THE JUDGE, but mine has a 6 1/2" barrel.
Yeah, I thought I was the problem after first shooting the gun. I was low and to the left. But, I was very accurate when I aimed using the laser. I do not care for the Heinie sites at all. I will most likely change them out for something else. I can't see leaving them on this weapon since they are (IMO) poorly designed.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Based on what I've learned here, I recommend nothing greater than 185 gr bullets if you're going to use HP as a carry load. There have been tests that show with barrels under 4 inches, hollow point bullets heavier than 185 gr. don't expand completely. It has something to do with not having enough velocity from the shorter barrel.

I like Gold Dot 185's but have cheap Remmington 185 JHP's until I shoot'em all up later this year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interestingly enough, Federal tests their HST rounds with a short barrel and on their website they indicate that "It performs exceptionally well in shorter barrels." Just my 2c

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mdprotector said:
Interestingly enough, Federal tests their HST rounds with a short barrel and on their website they indicate that "It performs exceptionally well in shorter barrels." Just my 2c
I'll have to try that ammo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts