Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the third generation parkerized model with an olive/tan frame through Impactguns.com in late May and it arrived 6/7. It has the SA/DA trigger and Heinie sights. I was looking at a stainless slide and black frame model but this one was on sale and it just looked cool. I had owned a first generation PT111 which I hated, but had heard that the newer Millenniums were much better. I finally got to the range on the 12th.

I fired 100 rounds of Concho re-manufactured .45 230gr FMJ. Although it is re-manufactured ammunition, it is of high quality and made for law enforcement use. I also fired 10 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 185gr JHP. Using 'q' targets, I started at the 15 yard line. Since I had never fired this pistol and was not use to the Heinie sights, I thought 15 yards was a good starting point. Firing four rounds gave me a 2.5” grouping which was not bad for not being use to the trigger or sights. I continued to fire at a more rapid pace for several magazines, placing all but one of the rounds in the ‘q’ target and it was only ½ and inch out. It didn’t have any more kick than a .40 S&W. The trigger did take some getting used to as there is a lot of slack to take up and while it is a short trigger pull, it is a little “gritty.” It became enjoyable after a few familiarization rounds. I moved back to the 25 yard line. I worried about this range with such a shot barreled pistol. I covered the center with the front of the sight as recommended by Heinie and shot a little high, so I lowered it to bisect the center as with a regular sight. I still had to get used to the trigger as I began to anticipate and push the pistol. I eventually broke out of that mode. Out of 20 rounds at the 25, all but two were in the target with the two only being an inch out. I continued to alternate fire at the 15 and 7 yard lines both slow and rapid fire. It fed every round without a problem. No issues at all. I fired 10 more rounds of the duty ammo, again without a hitch. This has proven to be a well made, reliable pistol that shoots as well or even better than those that cost $200 more. With 10+1 rounds of .45, you can’t go wrong.

·
Registered
625 Posts
nice range report. It sounds like you got a good gun there. I have recently changed my sights out to a three dot model, and I like it a little better, but if you are getting this good of results with the heinies, I would just stick with them. Once again, congrats on the gun purchase.

Todd

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
You will find the trigger will become "smoother" the more you run through it... and it is pretty impressive that a 3" barrel can hit a target at 25', let alone keep it on target. You will like this gun the more you use it!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thank goodness for my 2nd generation DAO PT145. I spent a little time on the range last Monday attempting to hit the 7 yard target with my "pocket" weapons: S&W642 (with laser, I might add) and my P3AT. This was very painful and slow afternoon...I was a bit depressed with my results. I finished off, by pulling my PT145 and firing two mags (21 shots) as fast as I could acquire a target...point shooting...see results. Now this is why I carry the little beast!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cimarron said:
You will find the trigger will become "smoother" the more you run through it... and it is pretty impressive that a 3" barrel can hit a target at 25', let alone keep it on target. You will like this gun the more you use it!
I have qualified with and carry a Glock 27 and the agency issued Sig 239 (though I prefer the Glock) so I'm used to shooting from the 25 yard line (12 rounds). The Sig is more accurate than the Glock at the 25, but also a larger pistol. I usually shoot a 96-100 with the Sig and 92-98 with the Glock. I usually through 3 rounds out at the 25 but get everything else. I plan to qualify with the PT145 at the end of the week and even though it is shorter than both the Glock and the Sig, I should get the same results with it as I do the Sig and plan to carry it on duty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts