Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. Sorry if I, as a newbie, am rehashing old threads. I tried the search function and it freaked out on me.

I jusy picked up my PT145 and would like to know what plinking ammo everyone has had the best luck with and what self-defense ammo everyone has had good luck with. I don't want to lay out a chunk of cash for 500-1000 rounds of plinking ammo to have it jam/misfire on me every clip.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
You would be correct in assuming that you dont want to buy a lot of ammo and it not function. Buy a lot of different types of ammo and see what your gun likes. Not all guns are alike. My PT145 likes everything but Remington green box, but will shoot UMC yellow box, go figure. I use what is cheapest for plinking since it will shoot anything. For SD, I use Corbon Powrball. I have not had any problems out of them.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome to the forum & congrats on the PT145! The PT145 will eat anything but I normally use the Federal FMJ 230gr from Walmart for target shooting and the Fiocchi XTP JHP 230gr as defense ammo. Just give it a good clean and avoid limpwristing as the PT145 is a subcompact pistol tht shoots the powerful .45 ACP.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a PT-145 but it only has 150 rounds through it. I used both Federal Champion and Winchester (white box). Both were the 230 grain FMJ and both purchased at Wal-mart. No failures of any kind. I've yet to run any hollow points through it because of cost. If I were going to carry it I would certainly do so.

I learned real quick after buying a .45 that it makes plinking very costly. 9mm is almost half the price around my parts. I did however score a good deal a while back and bought two 100 round packs of .45 for $30 apiece. Still not 'cheap' though.

·
Administrator
40,171 Posts
I reload for plinking and target shooting, but before I started that, any and every kind of ball ammo I bought, worked fine. I usually went with cheap! These pistols apparently aren't finicky eaters, at least mines not. I'd suggest you try a few different makes of defensive ammo to determine what works best in your pistol.

Congratulations on the purchase of your PT145! These are keepers! :thumb:

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Mine will swallow any 230 grain fmj I put in it, so I buy the cheapest stuff I can find. Usually that's wally world Federal Champions or WWB. I prefer the Federals as they're cleaner running, and I've yet to have one fail to go bang. I got a bunch of bad primers in WWB as well as Winchester Ranger T's about a year ago, and I just haven't had much use for Winchester since. I could overlook problems with the target ammo, but when I got a 10% failure rate from their supposedly premium ammo I swore off of it. My carry ammo of choice is 200 grain speer gold dot +P, and it does very well out of this short barrel - averages 906 fps, which should make a big hole in a BG if the need arises. In the denim/water jug test they expand reliably too, which is something that can't be said for the Ranger T's. And you can usually find boxes of fifty for less than thirty bucks. BTW, that's dollars, so don't go dragging a bunch of deer into your local ammo store. :D

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Mine has liked anything I've tried which isn't that many to be honest.

I have used 230gn winchester white box from Walmart and 230gn federal from Walmart for plinking. And because I found it, and it was cheap, 230gn winchester white box hollow points for self defense rounds currently anyway.

At this point I have stopped buying commercial ammo and now reload all of my plinking ammo. And just an FYI, in case you ever think about saving brass and reloading, the federals are using brass with small pistol primers, which is different than most .45 cal manufacturers. So personally when I was still buying some I bought only WWB for that reason. You can load the Federal brass but would mean you need to keep 2 different sized primers around since most still use the large primers.

I never tried the steel cased ammo. But I'd imagine mine would eat it up too..

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Dang. Plinking with a 145. Hmmm. I always thought "plinking" was reserved for .22's. :)

I have a 145 and have fed it about any kind of range ammo you can imagine. Blazer, Wolf, Winchester WB, "military surplus." Haven't really had a problem with any of it. The secret is to clean it well. Usually, the cheaper the ammo, the dirtier. If you are shooting lead, make sure you clean it well and inspect it closely. A clean patch does not necessarily mean a clean bore. Same with some of the plastic tipped stuff. I've found with all of my guns - handguns, rifles, shotguns even pellet guns, the cleaner they are the better they shoot.

My SD ammo is either Federal Hydra Shok or Remington Gold Saber. Both shoot equally well. If I ever have to use my gun to protect myself, I want my ammo to be stock ammo and ammo that is used by some of the PD's in the area. An over zealous persecutor can use exotic ammo as a bit of testimony against you in a SD case. Both the Federal and Remington have given me flawless performance - I shoot some of my SD ammo so that I'm as familiar with the ammo as I am with my gun.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dang. Plinking with a 145. Hmmm. I always thought "plinking" was reserved for .22's. :)

I have a 145 and have fed it about any kind of range ammo you can imagine. Blazer, Wolf, Winchester WB, "military surplus." Haven't really had a problem with any of it. The secret is to clean it well. Usually, the cheaper the ammo, the dirtier. If you are shooting lead, make sure you clean it well and inspect it closely. A clean patch does not necessarily mean a clean bore. Same with some of the plastic tipped stuff. I've found with all of my guns - handguns, rifles, shotguns even pellet guns, the cleaner they are the better they shoot.

My SD ammo is either Federal Hydra Shok or Remington Gold Saber. Both shoot equally well. If I ever have to use my gun to protect myself, I want my ammo to be stock ammo and ammo that is used by some of the PD's in the area. An over zealous persecutor can use exotic ammo as a bit of testimony against you in a SD case. Both the Federal and Remington have given me flawless performance - I shoot some of my SD ammo so that I'm as familiar with the ammo as I am with my gun.
I guess plinking is a relative term :) Everytime I think about shooitng the .45 as being expensive, I consider one of my favorite rifles. A model 71 winchester which shoots .348 Winchester. Around $2.50 with each trigger pull.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. A lot of the trash talking on the Internet made the 145 seem kind of finicky with ammo.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
A firm push/pull grip makes a big difference when shooting a PT145. They don't like to be limp wristed, which may have something to do with why those guys on other gun boards sometimes don't like them. :eek::D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A firm push/pull grip makes a big difference when shooting a PT145. They don't like to be limp wristed, which may have something to do with why those guys on other gun boards sometimes don't like them. :eek::D
Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark.....

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback. A lot of the trash talking on the Internet made the 145 seem kind of finicky with ammo
Yeah, well a lot of those folks haven't actually owned a 145 or even shot one. We all know what opinions are like - especially those formed by other peoples' experience. Gun snobbery is pretty prevelent on some of the forums. Guess there are some who think that you have to take out a second mortgage on your house in order to own a "good gun." To me, a good gun is one which is reliable and one upon which I will stake my life. The 145 is one of those. Can't limp wrist it - which is pretty much universal with any of the compact semi-autos. Take care of it as though your life depended upon it. If you run into a problem - which will happen on occasion, don't bitch and moan. Call Taurus and get it fixed.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
I guess plinking is a relative term :) Everytime I think about shooitng the .45 as being expensive, I consider one of my favorite rifles. A model 71 winchester which shoots .348 Winchester. Around $2.50 with each trigger pull.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. A lot of the trash talking on the Internet made the 145 seem kind of finicky with ammo.
Yup. .44mag - about $1.25 to pull the trigger. At the far end of the spectrum - .50cal Barrett. $5.50 for the cheap ammo. The good stuff is around $7.00. Oh yeah, that's per round. But you can do some real serious plinking with one o' them puppies.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup. .44mag - about $1.25 to pull the trigger. At the far end of the spectrum - .50cal Barrett. $5.50 for the cheap ammo. The good stuff is around $7.00. Oh yeah, that's per round. But you can do some real serious plinking with one o' them puppies.
Yeah, shooting certain calibers can be pretty cost prohibitive. When I take the .348 out to the range, with it being a sweet old lever gun, all the friends want to shoot it and burn through $10-15 in 30 seconds. Handloading does take some of the sting out of it, but even the bullets are pricey.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Speer has a new Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo out (230 gr) for SD. The reviews I've read have been very good (low flash).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ken: I'll echo some of the previous posts about getting some Federal or Winchester at WalMart. Being a WI guy myself I have purchased some from WalMart and Mills' Fleet Farm. If you're in the southern part of the state, Blaine's Farm and Fleet. If you hit some of the local gun shows these guys usually have a few tables and I've picked up some good deals from them too Wholesale Ammunition - Bulk Ammo for Sale For some local gun show schedules go here: CWGCA and Events
230 grain ball usually works well in most semi-autos. I have four (only four but I'm working on increasing that number) 1911's and the PT145 and they all digest the Winchester, Federal, Fiochi pretty easily. Prices around $0.30 per round are what we're seeing these days.

·
Registered
29,948 Posts
Plinking?

Commercial ammo: Winchester 230 gr. FMJ "White Box bulk packed.

Hand load: Magnus 230 gr. Lead round nose over 5.1 grains of AA#2 or Bullseye & CCI large standard primers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
And just an FYI, in case you ever think about saving brass and reloading, the federals are using brass with small pistol primers, which is different than most .45 cal manufacturers. So personally when I was still buying some I bought only WWB for that reason.
Hey Ken, thanks for the referral to the site! Now I have another way to waste my time!

I picked up some Blazer and Federal brass (both small primers) and reloaded it with the same bullet/powder as some Winchester and Fiocci brass (large primers). Every 3rd round of the small primer brass stove piped. Every round of the large primer brass fed & ejected perfectly.

Since you're probably not going to reload for.45, please do me a favor and shoot only the large primer brass. I'll be happy to pick it up while we shoot!

Bill R

·
Registered
23 Posts
I reload 185 gr plated HP and they shoot real nice. I carry Hornady 185 gr critical defence. For cheap practice ammo you might check out The Bullet Works (thebulletworks.com). They have 230 gr plated .45 reloads for $250/thousand. I shoot quite a bit of their 9mm and it is reliable and clean.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts