Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on TheFiringLine also, so pardon the double post if you have previously seen it:

The owner of my local gun store told me today that Taurus is no longer making the PT145. About two weeks ago I asked him to order one (he didn't any in stock.) I hadn't heard from him, so I called him today. He said he could only find a blue one (I want SS) and that they're hard to find because Taurus has stopped making them.

Does any of this make sense? If they have stopped making them, do they plan to replace the gun with a newer model? A gun store about 2 hrs away has one, but for $100 than my guy. I don't wanna make that kinda drive and pay $100 extra if I don't have to.

Thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Maybe he needs to have his blood alcohol level checked?

Todd

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a new PT145SS MIL PRO 3rd edition which had to be ordered two weeks ago, my dealer never mentioned that they were being discontinued.

Also I am new to Semiauto pistols, I only have revolvers. What is the rail that I keep hearing about? Is it the grooves under the barrel that laser sights can be attached to? Because my 3rd edition has them and it also has Heinie sights

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
indyplum said:
I just purchased a new PT145SS MIL PRO 3rd edition which had to be ordered two weeks ago, my dealer never mentioned that they were being discontinued.

Also I am new to Semiauto pistols, I only have revolvers. What is the rail that I keep hearing about? Is it the grooves under the barrel that laser sights can be attached to? Because my 3rd edition has them and it also has Heinie sights
Yes, the groves make up the rail; it's used to attach a light or a laser. Pick up any handgun magazine and you'll see plenty of examples.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MoReloader said:
They are making the new version of the pt145. It is with the new trigger and no rail. Still a 10 shot 45.
A different trigger and no rail? Sounds like a second generation...

Seriously, what will be different about the trigger?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't believe everything your hear or read...of course they still make the PT145. IMHO, the 2nd generation (and yes, it has the rail) DAO is the best little .45 ACP made. I would only purchase a DAO pistol myself...all my autos are DAO so that my trigger actions are the same as my revolvers. I just returned from the range...and attached are slow fire at 25 yards with Corbon DPX. I only shoot DPX since the weapon seems partial to ammo. I definitely does not like Winchester white box w/hard primers!

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought (3-3-07) a new PT145 Millenium Pro and it has the rail. By the way, the weapon light I bought for my Springfield XD pistols fits the rail on the Tuarus PT145 PERFECTLY!

I was wondering why on earth the PT111 (9mm) and the PT140 (40S&W) do not have the rail.

I think if Taurus removes the rail from the PT145 it is a MISTAKE!!!!

By the way, I shoot this little baby (PT145) as well as my S&W 1911 in 45 acp!!! And I think that is amazing, since I am usually very partial towards single action semi-autos. But, I don't mind the DAO trigger of the Taurus PT145 because the trigger pull is consistent every time. My only concern is that after about 200 rounds the rear (Heinie) sight has loosend and I can't seem to tighten it. Also, I can't get it to loosen, so I can remove it and send it back to the factory for replacement. I suppose, If I have to I can send the whole slide back, but a won't be able to shoot or conceal this pistol while it is at the factory. They may have used lock-tite on the set-screw on the rear sight when they assembled it. I am going to try and use a very hot hair dryer and then try and loosen the set screw, then superglue the sight back. If all that fails, I will have to return it for repair. Anybody else had this problem with the rear (Heinie) sight?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
IMO a rail on a compact (made for CCW) is pointless. Once you add the light or lazer it makes it bulky. I would not be surprised to see the pt145 replaced by the 24/7 compact over the next year or so

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rediculous. I use the Tac light on my PT145 at home...it is tiny and works awesome. I prefer the DAO (2nd generation PT145) as I use the same/uniform action while deploying my revolvers and all my DAO autos.

·
Registered
19 Posts
MoReloader said:
The website shows that the rail is coming off. But the gun will stay. Their rail gun will be the 24/7 compact.
Taurus is notorously bad about updatin their web site material.. The pic of the PT145 is still of the first generation. They also seem to phase in new models it parts depending on what they have in stock. I had a 2nd gen DAO, nice pistol.. Now I have the 3rd gen with the SA?DA setup and Heinie sights. I for one like the new trigger better. The reset on the older DAO setup was WAYYYYYYY too long.

I would not worry about the PT145 being discontinued just yet, it's a good seller for Tarus.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just got a pt145 last week. Gun shop had to order it and took a week. 3rd gen ss and has the light rail. Gun dealer never said anything about it being discontinued. Second letter is a z so I guess it was made last year.

·
Registered
80 Posts
All just a bad picture on Taurus' Website. No discontinuance. I am waiting to see how long it takes taurus to make a grip extender to fill the gap between a pt`145 and a 24/7 clip. They feed great but there is a gap. I know they are going to make a 12 round compact but it will be the full size grip with a bobbed barrel. I expect them to follow Springfield's lead soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts