Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting some night sights for my PT145. My question is...how the hell do I get the Heinie sights off, and the new ones on without breaking something?

That is...if I can find any for a PT145 Mil Pro.........

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've decided to get some Bright Sights paint for my PT-111. The whole kit is like $22 at sportsmanguide.com. Comes with the regular paint and Ghost Glow. Yellow, green and orange. You get 2 of each and all the stuff to put it on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I KNEW they made paint! Thanks a ton for telling me about that, I'm about 2 seconds from ordering that set.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah they make it. I won't have to pay $100+ for sights for the gun now. brightsights.com by the way drewbacca.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Removing the rear sight is easy... loosen the hex screw until it pushes out with finger pressure.

The front sight is a problem. They do not provide a hex wrench and I stripped it out trying to make something else work... so I took a dremel with a cutting blade and cut it in half... part dropped off... the rest came out with a stout brass punch and a padded vice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine came with a hex tool. I'll have to see if it works.

Edit: The hex tool does not fit in the front sight, but it DOES fit in the rear sight. However, I twisted the tool so hard it snapped...the screw didn't budge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought the Bright Sights glow paint kit on sale for $7 - it was a waste of $7. It will glow faintly for a few minutes if you have held the sights close to a bright light for awhile immediately prior to use (it also flakes off easily even after proper prep of the metal sight surface). This is hardly practical for a firearm.

Use nail polish or model airplane paint instead. Tritium is the only way to go for night sights, but not cheap.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I read many reviews as well and the consensus seems to be NO to brightsights and YES to model paint or nail polish. It makes sense and I understand brightsights are water based and I just cannot see how water based paint is going to work on metal

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
If you're going to use some kind of paint, then IMO you may as well buy Nitesiters.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Stickers don't seem like they would stay as good as paint. I have a few weapons that new night sights would not work or be very expensive for the type of gun. Paint seems much better than stickers, would you not say?

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
I dunno about that.....I've used nail polish, gold paint, and other stuff to make a line or color a dot on sights, and they were usually gone by the time I cleaned the gun after my range visit. Maybe I just clean them too thoroughly....... :p

·
Registered
226 Posts
I clean mine all the time too. I have a Kel-Tec P32 and P-11 that I would not or could not replace sights so paint seems to be a possible alternative. I will likely buy night sights for the pt145. The sights on my other guns are ok, and personally, if I had to use in the middle of the night against a BG, I would not be paying too much attention to the sights, but rather his/her chest.

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Not many choices for tritium sights for the PT145 - I tried, and found one company, PT Night Sights, aka MMC Sights, that sold them - I bought them, and month after month they told me that they would have them ready the next month. After 8 months, I called my card company and told them I was stiffed. Use them at your own risk.

If anybody else starts making them, I'm sure you'll see a link or two - that would be a very popular item.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just was at that site! What a coincidence you mentioned. There was another sight I found as well (williams) that seemed to have them, plus Heinie's own site seems to have them. What have you heard about williams?

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Williams Fire Sights don't provide true night glow - they are fiberoptic sights and will work in low light, but not no-light. I'm probably going to order me some very soon, they are only $38 at cheaperthandirt.com and they will do until I can find some tritiums.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a set of TruGlo Fiber Optic/Tritium I had for my Kimber. I was trying to sell and eventually will on Craigslist. That is a good price on CTD as Williams own site states $46.95

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
ok you may want to try this folks they will do night sights for pt 145. It cost me arroud 150.00 but worth every peney. Now remember those other fiber optics do not glow in the dark. the ones i am telling you are tritiun sights.

Chek this web site: http://tooltechgunsight.com/

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
robrmrz7, I'm checking out that link and I'm not sure the one for the PT145 is for a 3rd gen - it doesn't say (dovetailed) on the line - is yours a 3rd gen? That price isn't horrible, it's just a bit more than I paid for my tritium sights on my PT1911 from Novak's web site.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts