Taurus Firearm Forum banner

PT145, my one and only problem...

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Cimarron 
#1 ·
I took the PT145 to the range today and shot about 100 rounds through it. No problems with feeding or ejecting while shooting. However, I do have one issue. Using Speer Gold Dot JHP ammo, when I rack the slide to load the first shot, the lip of the bullet (at the hollow point) gets caught on the loading ramp. I have to work at it to get it to chamber the shell. Once it is in, I can shoot the whole magazine without a hickup. Any ideas how to fix this? It's not a huge issue since it doesn't effect feeding, but I'd like to work it out so it's not a problem.

Ideas guys?

Todd

#2 ·
Had a Sistema 1911 that I had same problem on occasionally. I polished the feed ramp with a dremmel and it alleviated it somewhat. It's that damn flat head on a JHP that does it but try polishing it, and maybe stretching your mag spring a little, that could b it too. U know, not enough tension on the mag spring. I REALLY alleviated it by not using any more JHP's. I decided a 230 grain ball round had enough stoppin power that I just didn't worry about it anymore.

#3 ·
I wouldn't recommend ball for defense unless you have no other options. An expanding round might not expand like it was designed to but with ball you don't even have the chance.

If you want something with the profile of ball you can use either Federal's EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) or Corbon's Powerball. They both should work fine as long as you do your part. I don't expect them to work quite as nice as a high end JHP but its much better than ball.

Steelheart

#4 ·
Awhile back I had a small farm/horse ranch and there were 2 occasions where I had to put down dogs (one a wild pit, the other a chow/mutt mix) with my trusty 45. It worked out quick and humanely on both occasions. Not the best controlled test but I've had alot of trust in the standard 230 since. I put down my pigs, for butchering, with a 10/22 Ruger. Always one hit point blank off center of skull and not nearly as affective (though 2 b honest a pigs skull may b slightly thicker. I always had to follow up with a flip/sternal slice. A 45 to a pig was too traumatic to the meat I always felt. p.s....putting down a dog is definitely different than a pig. Very disheartening. But we do what we must.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I am going to clean up the gun this afternoon and I'll polish the ramp at that time. I like the way the ammo shoots, so I hope to keep using it. If I can't get this issue worked out, then I'll look into other options as far as ammo is concerned.

Todd

#6 ·
Before you give up on JHP's with your PT145... try other brands. I've never had a problem using Remington's... standards JHP and Golden Saber's. I've loaded 230 Gr. XTP Hornaday... and currently I really like the Rainer 185 JHP in the copper clad (no jacket to constrict expansion). I have found my gun likes the 185 gr loads (both LSWC and JHP) but I never had a problem with the 230 ball. Had a bit of a problem with a 230 FPSWC with had a very flat point.

Also learned that a dremel felt tip with Mother's Aluminum Polish puts a high polish on almost every metal without enormous pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.