Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only fired 30 rounds through my factory new PT145. The third round in the first 10 had a miss-feed and jammed the slide. Then the fifth round jammed in the second magazine. The third magazine fired all 10. Should I be worried or just keep shooting and see what happens? I really like the gun and want it to be reliable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Chris, I'm not an expert but I have the same gun you do. I've had mine about a month and it's been very reliable except when shooting CCI brand FMJ with the brass cases. You may want to give another ammo type a try and see if that helps you out. Also make sure your gun is cleaned well and lightly lubricated, there was an excessive amount of grease in mine when I first got it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I was firing Winchester .45 ACP through the new PT145 but it turns out I was shooting CCI Blazer Brass in it. I have some Remington ACP that I will try next time. I think the CCI is pretty cheap. I know that
the shells can make a big difference in feed jams. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
CCI Brass was the stuff that gave me a little problem. I've had good luck with Magtech and Independence FMJ. I just shot a box of Winchester JHP the other day with no problems. I've got about 600-650 rounds thru the gun now and have had only 2 FTFs with the CCI as I said.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I broke mine down and wiped a lot of excess grease from mine before I ever shot it. New guns that are over lubed will lock up. Try that and also try switching ammo as suggested. I have put 200 rounds of Monarchs without a hitch. They are cheap...$16 at Academy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally had a chance to go shooting. I fired 60 rounds through the PT145 and had one jam. That is a total of 90+ rounds through the gun. It is getting better so I will not complain unless it jams after 300 rounds.
I made an effort to hold the gun very firmly, that may have been a factor.
It is very accurate and I like the trigger pull, takes a little getting used to, but it seems fine to me.
I believe it is going to be one of my favorite guns. 8)

·
Registered
149 Posts
You said one thing that might be part of the problem, not holding the weapon firm enough. I don't mean putting a death grip on it, but rather making sure wrist is stiff enough as to have little wrist flex when the weapon fires. Also you may not have you hand gripping high enough up on the handle. One other thing that could be wrong is your magazines could be dirty inside. When I first got my PT 145, I disassembled the magazines and found a ton of grease inside the magazine and on the spring. I shoot the Winchester white box (WWB) ammo from Wal Mart (230gr FMJ) and have never had a problem with it, then I save the brass and reload it. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do SigSauer, or Kimber autos feed jam when you "limp wrist" them? My daughters Beretta has never once jammed in hundreds of firings and I have no doubt that she cannot hold it very firmly. It would seem this would be more of a fault of design. Should a person using such a weapon tell the person he is defending himself against, "wait a second, I have to get a firm grip on my weapon so that it will not feed jam".?
So in other words if you purchase an "inexpensive" weapon you will need to have a beefy wrist so that you can fire it properly without feed jams, or you can spend more money and buy a weapon that will work properly under any circumstance.?? :???: Or if you just happen to purchase one they accidentally built correctly it may not feed jam. I still think for carry at least I will stick with my revolver, which cannot feed jam and will fire every time as long as I don't buy cheap ammo and I don't forget to load it, and I can "limp wrist" it as much as I need to.

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I now have a couple hundred rounds through my PT145. No problems with Remington, UMC, Federal, or American Eagle; but frequent problems with the CCI Brass .45ACP.
BTW, if you think the Taurus mags are cheesy, you haven't seen the ProMags. I bought 2 and both of them fail to feed the last round in every magazine every time. The Taurus mags can't hold the 10 rounds they are supposed to. And if you force the 10th round into the mag, you cannot rack the slide manually. I'm sending them back tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts