Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PT145 ...decent gun extremely poor CS

I have had this gun for sometime now, I have tried very hard to like this gun. But I just can't get the mag to stay in place I carry in a crossbreed and have found at the end of the day the mag has backed out also when I shoot the mag will sometimes drop as well. Im an avid shooter and own many different semi-autos and have never had this problem on any other gun. It appears the the actual mag catch does not insert far enough into the mag that and the weight of 8-10 rounds of 45 make just a light touch to the mag release drop the mag.

I like everything about this gun it feels great in the hand and shoots well but if I cant rely on the mag staying in the gun I just cant carry this gun which is the sole reason I bought it.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Does the mag dropping happen with both mags? You need to contact Taurus CS (1-800-327-3776 or 1-305-624-1115) and they'll fix it for you.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 3 mags and it does it on all 3 when shooting if the mag is between 7-10 rounds, all three mags have backed out while holstered as well. I noticed a few threads online about this very problem and thought it might be common to the gun but if that is not the case im going to have to send it in.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
My 24/7 C .45 used to drop the 10rd mag as well but only when firing. I called Taurus CS and they advised me to send the mag back to them so they would send me the new mag. The problem seemed to be fixed with the new mag. Since your gun dropped all 3 mags, I think there are problems with the mag release. You need to talk to Taurus CS and possibly you'll need to send the gun back to Taurus for repair.

Edit: Before contacting Taurus, please try to clean the mag release well with Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe to see if that helps.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Might just be a worn or defective mag catch. Or it could be the shooter. A lot of folks will inadvertently hit the mag release with their thumb on recoil. Most of the time they don't seem to notice doing it, but it will make the mag drop. A thumbs-forward grip can help eliminate that problem. I had an occasion where I actually hit the mag release when it was holstered, and of course that caused the mag to pop too. The release is reversible, and I just turned mine around and use my firing-hand index finger to drop the mag. Works just about as well, and I haven't had a mad come loose since - firing or in the holster. If you turn it around and experience the same problem, then it's the catch itself causing the problem. You can probably get Taurus to send you a new one without having to send the pistol to them. JAT

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have heard of this issue but mine has never done it, I'd say have Taurus fix it for you. The fun is definitely worth it

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think maybe Taurus has addressed this problem with a new design frame........

Cracked Frame.jpg

This is the old frame that I sent back in November, notice the thumb depression (also notice the crack, grrrr).

New Frame.jpg

This is the new frame Taurus sent back....notice the ridge under the thumb depression. With this frame the mags lock into the frame much more positively, without the up and down slop the old frame had. The old frame had so much slop that I welded up the mag catch (which didn't look the least bit worn) and then milled it to be about twice as thick as original. I checked the catch slot height on the new mag they sent me and my old mags, they were the same. The mag catch also appeared the same....so I'm wondering if Taurus changed the position of the mag catch in the frame. It looks like it is in the same location, but it sure does hold the mags better than before.....

Mike

·
Administrator
39,361 Posts
Just make sure it isn't your own thumb causing the mag to drop. If it isn't, Taurus can make it right.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Knock on wood, but I've had mine for a while now, an never have had a mag to drop!! of course there's always tomorrow!!!

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think maybe Taurus has addressed this problem with a new design frame........

View attachment 22914

This is the old frame that I sent back in November, notice the thumb depression (also notice the crack, grrrr).

View attachment 22915

This is the new frame Taurus sent back....notice the ridge under the thumb depression. With this frame the mags lock into the frame much more positively, without the up and down slop the old frame had. The old frame had so much slop that I welded up the mag catch (which didn't look the least bit worn) and then milled it to be about twice as thick as original. I checked the catch slot height on the new mag they sent me and my old mags, they were the same. The mag catch also appeared the same....so I'm wondering if Taurus changed the position of the mag catch in the frame. It looks like it is in the same location, but it sure does hold the mags better than before.....

Mike
Thanks for the reply I do have the older frame think ill send it in.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Im sure im brushing the mag release slightly when shooting but not enough that the mag should drop. It does it when I shoot single strong hand/weak hand as well as two handed grip. Everyone who has tried the gun has commented on how touchy the mag release is. Ill trying getting a new mag release and see if that helps.

I took the mag release out it looks like only a fraction of an inch is actually touching the mag so any pressure at all on the mag release will drop the mag. Ill post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
send it in, mine dropped every mag new from the box. sent it in and ten days later gun was backed and fixed. i had a cracked mag catch and they replaced the spring too.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Give Taurus a chance to repair it for you.

Their turnaround time is pretty quick these days.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
UPDATE..........Well the gun sat in the safe as I didnt trust the mag to be there when I needed it, finally got around to calling CS about getting it fixed not to happy but its fixed. I actually had to pay for the part which really pissed me off not because of price as it was only $10 for new mag release and spring but you shouldn't have to pay as this is a problem with a good number of their pistols. I have requested parts from several different companies and have had no problem they just ask for address and toss it in the mail. CS was very polite and helpful but I still had to pay. This will be the last product I purchase from Taurus because of them charging for such a small part that is known to have problems. Love the gun itself not a single problem what so ever except for the above mentioned.

For a company to charge for an item that shouldn't fail on a new gun is a very poor decision as CS will either drive people away or keep them as a loyal customer for life. They not only lost me as a customer over a few dollars but possibly anyone else that asks my opinion on the company. CS is the most important aspect of a company a company may have one or two bad product lines but overall still be a great company but CS affects every single last product they manufacture.

The only way to fix the problem is to replace the mag release and spring, I tried everything nothing worked there simply wasn't enough material on the mag release to securely hold the mag in place. The new part looks to have more material on it.

·
Super Moderator
19,623 Posts
UPDATE..........Well the gun sat in the safe as I didnt trust the mag to be there when I needed it, finally got around to calling CS about getting it fixed not to happy but its fixed. I actually had to pay for the part which really pissed me off not because of price as it was only $10 for new mag release and spring but you shouldn't have to pay as this is a problem with a good number of their pistols. I have requested parts from several different companies and have had no problem they just ask for address and toss it in the mail. CS was very polite and helpful but I still had to pay. This will be the last product I purchase from Taurus because of them charging for such a small part that is known to have problems. Love the gun itself not a single problem what so ever except for the above mentioned.

For a company to charge for an item that shouldn't fail on a new gun is a very poor decision as CS will either drive people away or keep them as a loyal customer for life. They not only lost me as a customer over a few dollars but possibly anyone else that asks my opinion on the company. CS is the most important aspect of a company a company may have one or two bad product lines but overall still be a great company but CS affects every single last product they manufacture.

The only way to fix the problem is to replace the mag release and spring, I tried everything nothing worked there simply wasn't enough material on the mag release to securely hold the mag in place. The new part looks to have more material on it.
Well, cbr, looks like I will be following your lead. All 3 of my mags now free fall during firing but they didn't do this when I bought it new last August. Will be calling CS on Monday and hope they come through for me.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Im sure im brushing the mag release slightly when shooting but not enough that the mag should drop. It does it when I shoot single strong hand/weak hand as well as two handed grip. Everyone who has tried the gun has commented on how touchy the mag release is. Ill trying getting a new mag release and see if that helps.

I took the mag release out it looks like only a fraction of an inch is actually touching the mag so any pressure at all on the mag release will drop the mag. Ill post pics tomorrow.
send it in, mine dropped every mag new from the box. sent it in and ten days later gun was backed and fixed. i had a cracked mag catch and they replaced the spring too.
Well, cbr, looks like I will be following your lead. All 3 of my mags now free fall during firing but they didn't do this when I bought it new last August. Will be calling CS on Monday and hope they come through for me.
This is without doubt in my mind a Taurus SNAFU on the MilPro series. Same problem I had with my PT140 from the gitgo and grew worse over time (3-4- trips to range) until it was bump mag back in after every shot. The number of complaints for this problem is astounding for the MilPro's across the internet.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-complaints/69723-disappointed-pt111-repair-2.html#post900787

I predict a quick turn around if you send your MilPro back to Miami - I'm still convinced they have one assembly line to fix the MilPro mag drop problem. My PT140 was there and back in about 12 days and whole mag release assembly replaced (stated on report as "cracked") My first trip to range after repair I ran 150 rds. without a hiccup. I ran another 55 rds. thru this week - no dropped mags, one FTE (first ever with this pistol).

I really like this pistol (PT140) and was disappointed when mag problem arose very early on. I understand there are many more MilPro's that have not had the problem - BUT I suspect it's a problem waiting to happen at an inopportune moment, which is why it's now my 3rd choice as CC, but fun on the range.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The gun is a truly great firearm except for the mag issue, they almost need to do a factor recall on these MilPro pistols as there are tons of threads on this issue. This is a serious issue which could get someone killed if they depended on this handgun to save their life. The gun is made for conceal carry but it can not be trusted. Taurus needs to step up to the plate and acknowledge the issue and promptly correct it. They already have a horrible reputation and their failure as a company to address issues that can possible be fatal only serve to drive their reputation further into the dirt. As I stated I will never buy any product from Taurus for these reasons.

·
Super Moderator
19,623 Posts
Well, kinda in Taurus' defense, my PT140 still performs like a pro (no pun intended). I had mentioned in other threads that with it there is a firm, palpable snap/click sound when seating the mag. Not only hear the click but a very firm feeling click; compared to a much weaker sounding and weaker feeling click with the 145. After experiencing and comparing the two, just more of a confident feel with the 140. Also, I haven't seen many threads describing this problem with the 140 guns - but tons with the 145. Almost like they didn't design the mag release mechanism to account for the larger/wider handgrip of the 145 or something.

I am willing to install a new mag release if they will send me one but will send it back for repair if they won't. Seems that I have read where CS was willing to send them to some customers to fix themselves and others describe having to send it in - not sure if they asked to do it their self or not. Also, not familiar with the degree of the problem with the 111s; I had one instance of mag drop while firing someone else's 111 but that was definitely my fault - my thumb hit the mag release button - happened more than once and I felt the engagement of the release button by my thumb with each occurence. But, as per your post, cbr, and others throughout the forum, there does appear to be prevalence of the problem throughout the MilPro line.

Anyway, I just want to regain the confidence in the 145 I had when I first bought it.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My PT145 appears to lock the mag in tight now but it also felt this way when I bought it, I have serious doubts that it will last. The mag well just appears to have too much play and not enough material on the mag release to fully support the mag. I agree with the above that most of the complaints are with the PT145 a brief look at GunBroker will show an abundance of PT145's that are not selling.

I dont think ill ever carry my PT145 again as I just can't trust the mag to remain in the gun which is a huge problem, as there are so many used ones for sale there is little point in trying to sell it. I called Taurus requesting my PT145 to be replaced with a 24/7 and I pay the MSRP difference or even a PT140 they declined claiming there was no known issue with the PT145. So for now the PT145 sits in the front on my gun safe as to remind me to never purchase from Taurus again.

·
Registered
14,677 Posts
I am a lefty and carry in a DeSantis IWB at about 10:30 position.

My mag has never popped loose if I follow one specific routine. I load a full mag and charge the chamber, leaving the 9 round mag in place. My second mag has 10 rounds.

I hate to give up one round, but it seems the combination of the tight mag with 10 rounds causes the mag catch trouble. This problem is magnified by the fact that I am a lefty and the button is right around where the belt goes when I sit down. It does not take much of a bump on the mag release to let the mag go.

I have faith in my PT145 but will not leave a full mag in the well while holstered.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.