Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my PT145 (3rd gen brand new) since January and have honestly been pleased with it. It is also my CCW piece. Although my Sig, H-K and Glock friends gave me the business when I bought it, I have extolled the virtues of the PT145 and Taurus quite staunchly. It has had about 1,100 rounds through it since purchase and I keep it scrupulously cleaned and oiled right after every range session. Today however, was my day of reckoning!

Of course, as luck would have it, I was at the range today with my Taurus detractor friends when at the beginning of my fourth mag several rounds neglected to charge and fire although stamped by the pin. By the way, I was using my usual load of Blazer Brass FMJ 230 gr. I cleared the rounds and reloaded the mag. After racking the slide the first round fired then the slide jammed. It was jammed so bad with a round stuck in the breech end of the chamber that I had to call the range master. He in turn couldn't clear it and brought it to the gunsmith. It took the gunsmith 15 minutes to take it apart. The rail glide (I guess that's what it's called) on the right side of the slide had a nice chunk of metal out of it and a big piece of the slide rail in the frame was gone as well. The gunsmith remarked that he had never seen this particular failure on any gun before.

They packed it up and it's going back to Taurus for repair or hopefully a total replacement as the dealer is recommending to Taurus. You can imagine the drubbing I took from my "non-Taurus friendly" compatriots! :bang: Has anyone here experienced this problem with a PT145 or any other Mil Pro semi-auto? After reading so many posts in this forum about customer service nightmares I suppose I now embark on my own tale of woe. I mentioned my concern to the dealer and he commented that they sell a lot of Taurus guns and usually see quite "speedy" turn around on service. Speedy meaning around 2 weeks or "so". We'll see.

Although this incident is indeed a bit disconcerting, what disturbs me more is that what if instead of being at the range, I was in a life threatening situation when this occurred? I surely wouldn't be here now whining about the problem on this forum. I've taken all of the bad Taurus press with a grain of salt but now wondering if the Mil Pro is to Taurus what the Edsel was to Ford?

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing, just a bit disappointed and sad. Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to hear that....especially upsetting having it happen around the Taurus detractors at the range. But surely it's just a case of lemonized bad luck....tho' I'd sure be asking Taurus what they find as the root cause. Unfortunately no piece of hardware is immune from breakage, which is why I carry a BUG.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mamba said:
Sorry to hear that....especially upsetting having it happen around the Taurus detractors at the range. But surely it's just a case of lemonized bad luck....tho' I'd sure be asking Taurus what they find as the root cause. Unfortunately no piece of hardware is immune from breakage, which is why I carry a BUG.
Thanks for the sympathy Mamba, it's appreciated. Perhaps you're right...maybe just bad luck. You bet I'll ask Taurus what's at the bottom of it. I really don't want to lose faith in the product because I really like this gun. I'm willing to hang in and wait and see.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have never heard of a Taurus failing like this. Seems like its just one of those things that could have happend to any gun from any company. Hopefully you will have it back in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
from what you've said the missing chunky of frame most likely came from the smithy removing the slide. Not his fault, odds are it was only way to remove it. There are several things that could have caused this inside the pistol, please if possible keep us informed as to the status of your repair, time to repair and results. i am sure we all would like to hear more.

thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DRAEGER said:
from what you've said the missing chunky of frame most likely came from the smithy removing the slide. Not his fault, odds are it was only way to remove it. There are several things that could have caused this inside the pistol, please if possible keep us informed as to the status of your repair, time to repair and results. i am sure we all would like to hear more.

thanks
Yeah, the more I thought about it today the more I felt that it was from the smithy. I tell you, that slide was really stuck tight. What gets me is that the gun has had a little over 1100 rounds through it so far with no issue. Weird stuff is all I can say. I know Taurus will make it right, it's just the time that concerns me, especially after all the comments I've read on here about the turnaround nightmares.

I appreciate your comments and will be sure to keep you all up to date.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've seen where a primer fell out upon the shell being ejected and became lodged in the frame and locking a Glock up pretty good. Bad things happen to good people for no reason, all the time...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had a slide crack from Taurus, I blame that on the individual gun, not the company. Taurus sent me a replacement from the factory, with everything new. It has survived 1,000 rounds and shows no sign of wearing down. While the Taurus warranty may take a while, they will correct the problem, especially if a dealer is involved...

·
Registered
101 Posts
The next time your glock friends give you a hard time, just do a search for the glock problems. The gun smith down the road from me said he works on more glocks than any thing else. The store said they wont sell them anymore. As for the gun, I was upset when my PT111 PRO slide broke, but they made it right, and it works like new again.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Taurus9mm said:
The next time your glock friends give you a hard time, just do a search for the glock problems. The gun smith down the road from me said he works on more glocks than any thing else. The store said they wont sell them anymore.
They won't sell Glocks anymore?? Wow, that's a bad move. In another post I made a mention how one gun store I was at was telling a customer who had inquired about a Taurus that they were going to stop carrying Taurus products because of poor customer service and I piped in how I thought that was a bad idea to limit products to customers based on a few negative experiences and how my Taurus guns were FANTASTIC! Not selling certain brands really limits sales and limits access to customers in any brand.

By the way, I will tell you why I think that sounds like B.S.; they will make more money as gunsmiths than they make from the sale of the gun itself.. so it would only hurt their bottom line.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sorry to hear about your slide, teezum!

Remember too that there are FAR more glocks out there so the number of repairs would be more. Its a matter of individual preference and liking...........i am sure both Glocks and Taurus have their pros and cons. I think it would be a bad more for him not to carry glocks though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
teezum2003 said:
Yeah, the more I thought about it today the more I felt that it was from the smithy. I tell you, that slide was really stuck tight. What gets me is that the gun has had a little over 1100 rounds through it so far with no issue. Weird stuff is all I can say. I know Taurus will make it right, it's just the time that concerns me, especially after all the comments I've read on here about the turnaround nightmares.

I appreciate your comments and will be sure to keep you all up to date.
Okay, here's the update. Received a brand spanking new PT145 today from Taurus. Actually, it was shipped straight to my FFL dealer who had shipped the original one out for me when it broke. I did piss and moan a bit about the wait but I guess 2 and a half months isn't too bad considering some of the other CS posts I've seen. Anyway, I put a box of American Eagle FMJ 230 gr. through it along with 10 rounds of Blazer Brass with no hiccups.

I do have to get reacquainted with that DAO trigger though. While it was gone I bought a Glock 19 (needed a CCW replacement) and found it to be pretty smooth and extremely accurate with most of my hits neatly grouped within the 9 and 10 rings. Today, with the PT145 I was shooting low and right even though I was doing everything exactly the same as I do with the Glock. This was at 7 yds. which is where I normally shoot. It seemed like the trigger break was occurring at different intervals although this could have been my imagination. After carrying the G19 IWB I'm looking forward to a more comfy carry with my little PT145. I guess I just need to get more practice in with it but if you guys have any tips, I'm all ears...er, eyes! :clap: Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Glad to hear you got it back. They may be slow, but they deliver what they say.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
teezum2003 said:
Okay, here's the update. Received a brand spanking new PT145 today from Taurus. I did piss and moan a bit about the wait but I guess 2 and a half months isn't too bad considering some of the other CS posts I've seen.
I do have to get reacquainted with that DAO trigger though. While it was gone I bought a Glock 19 (needed a CCW replacement)
Ummm if it is indeed a "brand spanking new" PT145, it isn't DAO as all the current ones are SA (though not the lightest SA trigger).

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Rotorflyr said:
Ummm if it is indeed a "brand spanking new" PT145, it isn't DAO as all the current ones are SA (though not the lightest SA trigger).
Don't you mean the new PT145's are DA/SA? (Just trying to keep things less confusing.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
The new PT145 is sa/da. The gun will not fire until it is loaded which puts it in the sa mode. If the gun fails to fire, it automatically reverts to da. Hope that helps

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mdprotector said:
The new PT145 is sa/da. The gun will not fire until it is loaded which puts it in the sa mode. If the gun fails to fire, it automatically reverts to da. Hope that helps
Hmmmm...I understand the part about the gun not firing until it's loaded, duh! I guess what puzzles me is this...I'm familiar with the difference between DA and SA as it relates to revolvers. I'm just not sure how to understand the concept relative to semi-autos.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Most Semi Auto's work one of several ways,
SA with 2nd strike DA no hammer

Or DAO where even if you have it a round in the chamber, it takes a full trigger pull to fire with or without the hammer and you must rack the slide if there is a miss fire.

Then there are the ones you can pull the hammer back just like a revolver in SA mode after you have chambered the first round, or a double action, and it stays in SA for every round after the first, but on miss fire you must rack the slide to get another round in place or recock the hammer manually.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got it, thanks! :-X

1 - 19 of 19 Posts