Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a fiberoptic site set. I was checking to see how hard it is to get the front and rear sites off of my PT145 Mil Pro (3rd Gen). The rear site came off fine with the allen wrench which came with the pistol. But, the front site screw seems to be smaller. Does anyone know what size the screw for the front site is? I know it is a hex. The manual says nothing about it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Firemax,

If I'm not mistaken it is a metric 1.5mm allen socket screw. It is secured with a Loctite or a simular adhesive.
I would recommend removing the slide and using your wifes hair dryer and gettting it very hot before trying to remove the screw. A large soldering iron placed next to the front sight blade will also transfer enough heat to soften the adhesive. That sucker is in there. I broke off a Wheeler Engineering hex bit trying to loosen the the front sight screw on my PT24/7 PRO. My PT145 is next to me and none of the SAE allens will work but the metric 1.5 mm will go in the socket.

I have read threads here on this board that Dremel tools have had to be used to cut off the front of the sight so that it could be drifted out of the dovetail.

Please read my thread on fiber optic sights I posted earlier today. Good luck on the removal.

High Power Bob

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
High Power Bob said:
Firemax,

If I'm not mistaken it is a metric 1.5mm allen socket screw. It is secured with a Loctite or a simular adhesive.
I would recommend removing the slide and using your wifes hair dryer and gettting it very hot before trying to remove the screw. A large soldering iron placed next to the front sight blade will also transfer enough heat to soften the adhesive. That sucker is in there. I broke off a Wheeler Engineering hex bit trying to loosen the the front sight screw on my PT24/7 PRO. My PT145 is next to me and none of the SAE allens will work but the metric 1.5 mm will go in the socket.

I have read threads here on this board that Dremel tools have had to be used to cut off the front of the sight so that it could be drifted out of the dovetail.

Please read my thread on fiber optic sights I posted earlier today. Good luck on the removal.

High Power Bob
Thanks HPB. I will locate a 1.5mm hex and give your tips a try.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I had the same problem with my front site (pt145) I had to use a hand held propane torch, heat the site itself (not the allen screw ) thus the heat will expand the site enableing you to break the screw loose
Also not sure what size allen wrench but it is smaller, I just found one that fit from my set. It worked for me.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Also I forgot DO NOT (as per previous post) let your flame aim at the dot in the site the gunsmith I asked about this topic said it would melt the white paint.Makes sence to me. Just heat mostly on the left and right side of the site so it can expand along the dovetail i,am sorry I wasent more elaborate my previous post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts