Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wanted to like this gun. Good size, nice trigger etc. I've got other Tauri that I like. Fired 100 rounds Win and Rem 230 hardball. Even tried some expensive JHP. Lots of failures to feed (hitting bottom of feed ramp) - All ejected very well. Gun was cleaned and lubed etc.

I spent the next day polishing the feed ramp and chamber. Another 100 rounds of mixed ammo with about 15 FTF's. Maybe the problem would have worked out with more and more ammo run thought it. But, I think the problem is more of a magazine problem - tried both. If I squirted rem-oil into the gun it would feed 20 FMJ's after a cleared nose-dive.

Anyway I went back to the store, took my $100 hit and bought a NIB Glock 19.

Best of Luck

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Seems like a drastic hit to trash a $300 gun for a $30 mag problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, How would Taurus know I had TWO bad magazines without me sending the whole gun to them ($30 or so). Then I would have had to test the gun with about 200 more rounds of Factory Ammo (another $70) or so. Then maybe $20 more in Range fees This amounts to about a $150 Fix and Check.

Two new bad magazines sounds fishy - more like a badly cut cam. Or a combination of timing/bad mag follower.

Dawgfvr: I think your remark was just rude and not very constructive to anyone who reads this thread.

Also I'm not so sure that they would have found this problem - the first trip back. And then we have the problem of Taurus never letting me know when the return shipping date is. In the past I've had UPS/FEDX leave guns/primers/power on my door step.

I paid $370 + tax - which is OK for the Stainless model in my area. So I actually considered the $280 buy-back not all that bad.

Repeating myself, I have nothing against Taurus and they have made revolvers right that I sent them (about 3 month turn-around). The dealer gave me the NIB Glock for $100 more than I paid for the Taurus. The G19 is bigger, but not Full Size. It fits in the same fanny pack as I planned to carry the PT145 in.

I have two other nines and 4 other 45's. I would have liked this to work out. It was a sweet shooter for such a small 45. I usually carry a Kel-Tec P11 or a Taurus 85TI

Am I happy - no? Am I satisfied - yeah..

·
32,803 Posts
First of all Taurus replaces parts for free. Then Taurus is not being given a chance to make things right or diagnosis if there is a problem. We have members who had plenty of problems that were related to the shooter overlooking things, maintenance prior to or after shooting, grip, lack of familiarity, and a host of other problems that could cause this. I am not saying that you are not knowledgeable about firearms. Just that there may be underlying causes or other things to consider that might have kept this from going this far. It took a while for me to get used to and master the characteristics of my PT22 and PT111 Mil/pro pistols. Oh well. Live and learn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Qwiks draw: Thanks for your reply. I currenty own 4 Tauri. I usually do all my own "Smithing". But Taurus stopped selling critical parts about five years ago. Yes they fix them for free, but you are dependent on them. I owned Tauri for about 15 years.

I'll look at Taurus again in the future - if they sell that "OSS" with the three way safety. The PT111 would have made a lot of sense if I did not have the Kel-Tec P11 (My own Trigger job and Stop). I already owned a PT111 - when they very first came out - The trigger on these early models left something to be desired.

I've been shooting for over 40 years and am an Internationally ranked shot in long distance handgun shooting (IHMSA).

thanks, I'll be back.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Even the old pt111 can have a trigger in the 6 pound range for a novice gunsmith so If you would have worked on it you would have gotten it where you wanted. That is about where I had my 745. Taurus does still sell all parts and will give you most if you tell them what is wrong. IF you new it was the mag, you can send the mag for replacement. but, since you sold it I guess it doesn't matter.

·
32,803 Posts
MoReloader. You hit the nail on the head. However this guy wanted out for reasons he may only know besides what he has said. That's for him to know. Makes sense to me to try and work with the gun and the company if need be. www.e-gunparts.com and www.brownells might have even been able to help these situations. We'll never know now. Too bad. Could have been a positive input from him and for our members here.

·
Registered
89 Posts
"I spent the next day polishing the feed ramp and chamber."

Why? Christ, they are so polished and smooth one could shave by reflection quite comfortably. Truly, this sounds like it was a magazine problem. Surely I would have had Taurus look at it before descending to a Block purchase.

Sounds like he let the baby out with the bathwater if you ask me.

·
Registered
790 Posts
That sounds like a mag problem for sure. The cheapest, easiest, fastest way to find out is buy a third mag. ( I just found one on line for $20 bucks including shipping, new in package factory mag.) If the same problems continue, you may have another issue. But I'd be willing to bet a new mag would fix that. And it never hurts to have spares anyway. Send the other two back to Taurus, and I'm sure they'd replace them. I can't believe you'd have to polish the feed ramp on a new Mil Pro. Mine had a mirror finish on it from the factory that I could never improve on. This has been said many times before: Mags are the #1 problem area to check first. Most problems can be corrected starting with the mags.

·
32,803 Posts
Over polishing can lead to other function and feeding problems as well. Changes tolerances. Might void the warranty also. On the other hand I was young and foolish witha 669 many years ago and Taurus did the work to fix my mistake. I even owned up to it in a note to them. One last note. When someone is a basher or dumping on Taurus the sentence," I really wanted to like this gun", shows up regularly. Often enough to be catagorized under one of the more frequent bashers litany.

·
Registered
356 Posts
"I really wanted to like this gun" isn't *always* the sign of a basher - I'm a big Taurus fan, but my 94 revolver had a bad timing problem, shaving bits off the bullet - of course I didn't dump it for a Glock.... I dumped it for a 85, which I love. :D (I have an up-and-up dealer who took it back and allowed me full credit on it.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You want to call me a Taurus basher - fine. As I said I carry a Taurus (85TI with laser) daily. I have another in blue and a wonderful PT92. Most Smiths have given up working on Tauri because they won't sell parts that might effect the safety of the weapon (sears, trigger springs, etc) - This is becoming more and more common problem in today's gun industry. Basically, I wasted four days with this gun and didn't feel like wasting more. If two new mags were bad, why do so many people think a third mag would certainly fix the problem. Maybe yes, maybe no. When I see a PT145 "used" in a gun store where I can try it out, then I'll buy again.

I don't know of any dealers in my area that will let you fire a few boxes of ammo - thru a new auto then take it back if there are problems. We had some stores years ago that stood by the customer, but none of the Good ones are left aound here.

·
32,803 Posts
I was stating fact. That sentences start that way with Taurus put downs is a normal and much used text. So it is a common frequent item that keeps showing up. Not all begin that way. There are exceptions. Did not say that yours was a bash directly. Kansas-Plainsman caught sight of that and was having fun with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From what I have read here it seems that if you post a problem with a Taurus firearm
you are labeled a "basher", I guess I am a basher since I have 1 junk PT-145 (out of 15 Taurus guns I own)
I will never buy another new production Taurus again, the company is a joke since I had to hire a Attorney to
get my junk 145 back from Taurus plus my shipping cost. Taurus admitted there is a FTF problem with some 145's.
but they will only guarantee it to shoot American Eagle ammo. Mine will shoot AE ammo but nothing else.
I am currently waiting on the AG and my Attorney to reach a agreement with Taurus as to replace my 145
or refund my purchase price and take the gun back. So even though I have a lot of great Taurus guns I did get a
bad one and the company failed to make it right the first time and their statement of "we only guarantee the PT-145
to shoot American Eagle" is just pathetic.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.