Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 3rd Gen PT145 for a while. I love it. Shoots nicely and feels better than any other handgun I'be ever picked up.

I haven't had any problems with mine, but I was wondering what, if any known issues or problems people have with them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
The first generation PT 145 had an issue with the frame cracking, with the 2nd and third generation , I think I have only read of one of each ever cracking. If you bought an original first generation, it was expected that all would eventually crack with enough rounds fired through them. Taurus replaced all of the frames with frames that were beefed up.

About the only other issues I remember were when the Generation III first came out, there were a lot of complaints about the magazines dropping when you shot, and then some other magazine related problems that were quickly fixed. The last year or so, the complaints have been few and far between. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only problem I have with mine is keeping it fed. It always seems to be in slide lock with an empty mag:D

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
The compact size of the PT Mil Pro series makes hitting the magazine release more common. There are frequently reports of mags dropping inadvertently. Changing the grip typically takes care of this, in most cases.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had that problem. Maybe because I don't have big hands. I hear others talk about the Taurus as an inferior gun. I was listening to "Guns over Texas" two weeks ago and one of the hosts "claimed" that he shot some model of Taurus and it was jamming up on every other shot. I took that with a serious grain of salt. I get tired of people telling me to get a "real" gun. These are usually the ones who think there is one handgun worthy of any praise and that's the Colt 1911. While it is a good gun, I personally prefer guns without a hammer and find the 1911 to be a little big and bulky for concealed carrying.

As I said, I haven't had any issues with my PT 145 and am pretty accurate with it. I personally believe that Taurus guns are very underrated guns.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The first generation PT 145 had an issue with the frame cracking, with the 2nd and third generation , I think I have only read of one of each ever cracking.........
Unfortunately, I seem to be the only one with the 3rd Gen frame cracking. HOWEVER, I liked my PT enough I wanted to give it and Taurus a second chance. I'm glad I did, so far it has been completely trouble free for 400 rounds down range. I have several 1911's, which I enjoy a great deal....the PT-145 is the one pistol that is on my hip every day.....

Mike

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
For some reason, the muzzle of my PT145 got some chips after 100 rds or so. I sent it back to Taurus & they replaced the barrel in 10 days. So far so good.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
I basically quit keeping accurate round counts on my 3rd generation Stainless Steel PT145 after it surpassed the 1,000 rd. milestone without a burp.

It's been 100% reliable, and is a keeper.

I've owned dozens of .45 ACP's; everything from full size, mid size & sub-compact 1911's, and N-framed S&W revolvers with 5", 4" and 2 1/2" barrels.

The softest shooting .45 ACP of the lot is...this 21 oz. marvel from Taurus.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 145 is my EDC and is resting within arm's reach as we speak. I am more accurate with it than with my full sized 1911. Have had no problems in 1000 plus rounds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only issues that occasionally crop up with the Mil Pro series gun is ocasionally light primer strikes. NEVER oil the firing pin on the Mil Pro series guns. The firing pin is a tight fit in the firing pin channel and there is no vent or drain feature for excess oil. If you start getting light strikes then you should remove and clean the firing pin and it's channel. There was a design change with the 24/7 guns that corrected this, but we still have to live with this minor design flaw.

Craig

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Dang, you guys. I have two .45s now and you're making me want a 145 as well. Shame.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Yep, bre, the PT145 is the most comfortable handgun I've ever held and shot. I might get the 2nd PT145 down the road as I'm liking it very much.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have over 1000 through my 145 and I get the odd light strike from time to time as well; maybe five total. It is very random, but I don't usually carry the gun, either. I have done all the channel cleaning etc. It is clear that I can cause them by getting some oil/dirt in there - it is not clear that I can prevent them by meticulous cleaning practices. What I mean is that they got even more rare after I cleaned the gun properly. I probably need to send it to Miami for a look - it might need a better spring or something.

Don't get me wrong, I love the gun. And I believe the only light strikes (with failure to fire) have been with cheap ammo (WWB) or reloads.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 3rd gen pt145 pro is my edc.
Eats anything I put in it.....but it is hungry all the time, in fact I hear it asking to be fed right now.......gotta go

·
Registered
23 Posts
The compact size of the PT Mil Pro series makes hitting the magazine release more common. There are frequently reports of mags dropping inadvertently. Changing the grip typically takes care of this, in most cases.
I was one of the PT145 owners who had that problem. It had nothing to do with hitting the magazine release, and I made quite sure of that before I sent it back to Taurus for repairs. After repairs, when viewing the magazine catch by looking down the magazine well, the new one obviously protruded more than the original one.

The odd thing was that the magazine drop occurred only upon firing; I could tug as hard I wanted on the magazine without it pulling out. It has been suggested that Taurus underestimated how much the polymer frame would flex upon firing, and a longer magazine catch would be needed to accommodate that.

Edit: Oh, yes ... since being repaired, it has functioned flawlessly for several hundred rounds.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I haven't had that problem. Maybe because I don't have big hands. I hear others talk about the Taurus as an inferior gun. I was listening to "Guns over Texas" two weeks ago and one of the hosts "claimed" that he shot some model of Taurus and it was jamming up on every other shot. I took that with a serious grain of salt. I get tired of people telling me to get a "real" gun. These are usually the ones who think there is one handgun worthy of any praise and that's the Colt 1911. While it is a good gun, I personally prefer guns without a hammer and find the 1911 to be a little big and bulky for concealed carrying.

As I said, I haven't had any issues with my PT 145 and am pretty accurate with it. I personally believe that Taurus guns are very underrated guns.
Ignore the nay-sayers. They have issues of their own to work out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts