Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my pt145 back in the fall,it was clean no shipping grease didn't really need any cleaning, just a little lubrication. Now I was wondering because I"ve heard many times about how Taurus ships with a lot of grease. If perhaps my particular pt was purchased previously and returned quickly(for whatever reason) to the dealer,who sent it in for repair, hence it was cleaned by its first owner as stated it had no grease whatsoever. That doesn't bother me if it was sent back for repairs because it shoots just fine 1000+ rds. I suppose that scenario is possible, any thoughts??

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Hmmm...good find on that ;)
My Tracker came pretty dry also..I would just shoot it and see..It is probally fine..
Maybe some of these guys in here will have more info :)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I think someone pulled a fast one on you. I'd dump it ASAP, for say, $150? Will you take a personal check? ;)

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I am beginning to believe that everyone with a clean NIB was ripped off too! I will go as high as $160 to take the junk off your hands.

Well actually, I kind of wonder if some shops do not clean them up prior to showing to customers. I got mine shipped direct from Davidson's, it was greasy as heck. Local shops that I see new guns in are all wiped down pretty good.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I'll take it for $175, just for your peace of mind. My 24/7 was also very clean. My PT1911 however was very greasy. I don't think my gunshop cleans them. I bought them elsewhere and did a transfer. I picked up both guns at the same shop.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'll up that to 180.00. (already broke-in huh?)

Mine delayed me a good 20 minutes takin' the cosmoline off it (or whatever it was!) Same stuff came in the bed of my last pick-up.....I think.

smit

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got mine from a Davidsons dealer also, and I'm not bitchin if it was sent back for a repair (previous to my purchase) because its fixed and shoots very well, thank yea kindly for all the generous offers though

·
Super Moderator
21,798 Posts
Yes they do My local gun shop has a smith on site and he cleans all the guns before they go into the case for show. If you happen to buy one they just got in it is covered in packing grease or oil.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mine came pretty clean. Not sure if gun shop that I ordered it through cleaned it first, but I doubt it. When it came in and I picked it up there were over 50 new guns still in the boxes that they had to search through just to find it. Over half were Taurus guns. Owner never said anything about 'all that gunk' on them damn Taurus guns. But I just don't know if they opened all the boxes and clean all guns as a matter of policy.

Got my Judge through gunbroker and I know the ffl dealer didn't clean it. Not sure about the person selling it but there was more then necessary oil inside the gun. No gunk or grease but quite a bit of oil.

·
Registered
174 Posts
my oss was very dry, had no lube at all, it never came out of the hardcase before i got it, it was so dry i could hardly work the action, i had a spray can in the truck when i picked it up and sprayed it before i even closed the slide for the first time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Pt 145 NIB was cleaned by the gun store owner prior to my purchase. I took it out and shot it from there without a cleaning from me. It shot fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My PT145 nib and it was clean when I bought it. I always clean my pistols before I shoot them for the first time.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
My PT-145 (and 24/7) were full of the packing grease. In Vegas you are required to register your handguns immediately. So, I took them straight from the gun store to a Metro station to get "Blue Cards" for them. The woman who took my guns did nothing but complain about the grease the whole time I was there. All I could say was, "Just following the law, ma'am." :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm this make me wonder about my PT145 aswell i did the same got it home and cleaned it (after reading on here about the gunk) and there was none

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
O.K. Lets do a survey #1 All whos PT145 were Clean When Purchased and had NO problems (like mine over 1200 rds.) say YEA. #2 All whos PT145 was Dirty with packing greese When Purchased and had problems with their weapon say Aw Shucks w

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well if you were really worried, did you look at the metal rails embedded into the frame? I bet you can tell if it has been fired.
Mine was pretty gunky, I think it was brand new. Really thick oil/grease that was cleaned out as soon as it came home :)

·
32,737 Posts
Just received new model Taurus 66 from the factory to my local FFL dealer. It's dripping lubricant. Going to have to do a cleaning and lube. No problem. Do that anyway with each new purchase.

These guns are test fired at the plant before shipment for function and accuracy checks. Most companies do this regularly.

Yes,dealers, (mine does this) take the time to clean the gun. Not all the time, but usually. Some places do just that, but no lube.

Others are shipped directly from the factory and the users report too much lube, but not dirty.

As long as the gun is cleaned and properly lubes prior to shooting there's no harm or foul. Unless the gun doesn't work at all for any number of reasons. That's obvious anyway.
So there shouldn't be any harm there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts