Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this, and took it to the range yesterday. Before I even took it home for the first time, I noticed the barrel was off-center in the slide, to the bottom. I didn't think anything of it, until my second magazine. I saw that it was shooting low and left, at about 30ft. Left I can adjust, but I'm unsure how/if I can adjust up and down.

I couldn't find anywhere if this is common, a common problem, or anything. I'm hoping there is something I can do myself, since I'm not going to bother sending it back for warranty work - it's my only CCW and I'm not going to wait however long it takes for this. I have a friend who's more of a gunsmith than I am(ie, I can follow instruction, and am not afraid to take a file to it), IF necessary

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
They pretty much all shoot like that because of the way the Heinie Straight Eight sights are setup. The strike of the round occurs inside the dot instead of above and in the center of the front sight blade. It's supposed to be fast for SD type shooting, but to me it's just annoying. There are a number of different replacement options available, and if you install one with an overall height above the slide of .190" it'll solve the problem. That should put you pretty much on the money at 25 yards, and close to it all the way back to the muzzle.

Personally I like the Wilson Combat Snag Free front with a tritium insert, but if you go Wilson Combat you have to subtract .020" from their listed sight height, so you'd go with a .170" with them. The Wilsons are made for 1911's which have a rounded slide, and since the milpro slide is flat you'll have a little gap under the sight. It's not real noticeable and it doesn't affect the performance of the sight at all. Worth a look.

As far as your barrel - it looks fine to me. It's really hard to tell if they're centered because lighting does funny stuff with the shadows which can create the illusion that they're off center.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like your recommendation for the sights, and will be looking into that next payday.

Lighting? Yeh, I know that's always tricky when trying to show what a person is trying to explain. I just took these, and hope these better convey what I'm referring too, about the barrel looking low in the slide -

As close to dead-center as I was able to manage ...

And two other pics. Hope this helps ...

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Let me expand on that a little bit. When the pistol recoils the barrel and the slide both travel a short distance together as the barrel tips down in the rear. When it tips down it changes the angle to the muzzle and allows the slide to come back over the barrel. And the barrel is pretty loose at that point. Just clear your pistol, and pull the slide back till it locks, and feel how loose the barrel is. Then let the slide go back forward and try to wiggle the barrel with your finger and it shouldn't move unless the slide moves with it.

When it goes back into battery as the rear of the barrel rises the muzzle again finds the bottom of the hole where the muzzle is locked in place. You want the muzzle to return to the same spot every time, and that's going to be the bottom of the hole. Maybe not the exact dead center to the micron bottom, but pretty close. As long as it returns to the same spot every time all is well. Probably why the sights are adjustable, and they generally don't take too much adjustment for windage.

There's also two sights in dovetails, and getting them centered on the slide can be challenging. You could have on off the one side a tad, and the other off to the other side a tad, and you'd barely notice it until you shot it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AHhh, Alright, that explains a lot. Thanks! Basically, I'm overreacting ... lol While I'm not new to guns, this was a first for me, but your explanation cleared it up quite a bit. I'm still going to check into those sights tho ...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Low and left POI is a common complaint with the PT145. For me, and many others, it is the Heinie sight picture. I know the correct sight picture for the Heinie Straight 8 sights (had to look it up on Google), just never felt comfortable with it as all my other pistols are traditional type sights. Rather than adapt to the sight on the 145, I changed them with a 1911 type. Follow dbeardslee's recommendation and you will be fine. I changed the rear sight only (got lucky that I didn't have to change the front sight) and the results were great, POA now = POI. I went with inexpensive 3 dot rear (had to file the dovetail on the sight slightly so as not to force it) installed, centered, tightened the set screw and viola, instant bulls eye.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want you to know that I am having the same trouble with my new PT/24/7PRO in 45 cal. I do not understand why Taurus manufactures a pistol with this type of problem.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I want you to know that I am having the same trouble with my new PT/24/7PRO in 45 cal. I do not understand why Taurus manufactures a pistol with this type of problem.
It's not a problem - they're made that way on purpose. And for SD I'm sure it works fine. If you're an old goat like me, and set in your ways, it can be annoying, though. As far as windage is concerned - I've owned a LOT of pistols in my time, and I can count on one hand the number that had the sights set properly at the factory. The vast majority of them needed some windage correction. It just goes with the territory. And I'll say this for the milpros - at least they've got both sights set in dovetails, and there are plenty of different size sights available, which makes it a lot easier to fix elevation issues.

When I shoot for SD I don't even use the rear sight, and the front sight is only a rough estimate. I start with the proper purchase on the pistol - basically a straight line from the muzzle to the elbow. That will 'unlock' your natural pointing ability. Then all you have to do is look over the rear sight, put the front sight about 6" low of where you want the round to strike, and pull the trigger. I'll guarantee it's faster than aligning any kind of sights.

But most of my shooting isn't SD. I like to plink tin cans at 25 yards, and for that you need your sights properly setup. And a PT145 is more than capable of hitting soda can sized targets at 25 yards. It's hard to do with your sights obscuring those small targets, though, which is why I don't like the heinies.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My wife's PT145 barrel looks the same and only shoots a little left.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I read a recent magazine article that reviewed several compact .45s, PT745 included. I was not surprised to see that it shot low for the reviewers as well. I do not know why Taurus sticks with a sight that looks like other sights, but requires a different sight picture than any other. It would be much easier to offer the pistol with standard three dot sights and give people the option of the straight eights instead of making them factory installed. The sights have to be the biggest complaint about the pistols next to "it shoots low" which is the same problem but with the shooter having less information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts