Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my pt145(gen 3) and have had the chance to put about 500 rounds though it and have had no problems. In getting used to the gun I was taking real time with each shot, re doing my stance, grip, etc so I could get real comfortable with it in my hands. Today I went to the range and felt I was ready for the next step. Some double taps, and just seeing how fast and accurate I could be shooting out a magazine as quick as I could.

This is where the problem started, fired three quick shots and on the third the magazine popped out enough so the next round did not did not load. "that is weird" I think to myself, rack the slide and try again. Again it happens after the third shot. Ok, one handed, happens after Second shot! I made sure for the rest of the shoot to hold the gun so my left hand was cupped around the mag release so my fingers, nor anything else could touch it. It happened three more times when trying rapid firing and I don't think I am hitting the release.

Anyone with this experience? Am I just an idiot that doesn't know how the hold my gun?

As a note when cleaning it I noticed the slide spring felt a little jammed and Made sure I cleaned and oiled it well. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I really like everything about this gun, but I got the figure this out, not trusting the gun to fire when firing multiple shots concerns me.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I've never had that problem with my PT145, but I have read about some having problems, with their grip tripping the latch on the mag release, but I'm sure someone will come along and help you out!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am hoping.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, thumb is straight, just under slide and left hand is positioned so my left thumb rests in the memory groove on the left side of the gun.

Reactions: bre346

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Are you familiar with the golf grip? With your little fingers interlocked and your right thumb over your left? Try that, I had the same problem and that cured it along with giving me much better groups.

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone with this experience? Am I just an idiot that doesn't know how the hold my gun?
I know that some people will assert that you are holding it wrong, and that you're somehow hitting the magazine release. That was what I thought when this started happening with mine. However, I worked with different grips until I was confident there was no way in hell I could be hitting the magazine release. The magazine still dropped. Not all the way; just enough (about half an inch) that the slide would return to battery without chambering another round.

I returned it to Taurus for repairs. They replaced the magazine catch, and upon receiving the repaired firearm, I could tell by looking down the magazine well that the new catch protruded more than the original. Since then, I have fired several hundred rounds without incident.

Please note that I could pull like crazy on the magazine, and it wouldn't loosen a bit. This happened only when the gun was fired. The theory I have heard and tend to believe is that the polymer frame flexes just enough upon firing that the magazine catch lets loose. Rapid fire exercises would be exactly the type of scenario where I would expect this problem to first appear. My recommendation would be return the gun for repairs. From what I have read, Taurus is well aware of this issue.

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have not had that problem, but I would just cut to the chase and call Taurus CS and send it in. They'll probably replace the mag catch just on principle and you'll have the latest and greatest in the pistol.

Just MHO. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
A number of members have had bad mag releases, and a bunch more have inadvertently thumbed the release on recoil. Personally I don't like a thumbs forward grip, and I just turned the release around such that my firing thumb now sits right on the back of the release which actually helps to keep it in place. I also had the release activate once in a holster, and that hasn't happened again since flipping the mag release. The other thing flipping the mag release does is engage the magazines in the opposite slot, which may also help if the mag was part of the problem. My advice is to call Taurus, tell them what's happening, and see if they'll send you a new mag release. If you install the new one and continue to have problems, turn that sucker around.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to call Taurus tomorrow, thanks for all the input. I will let you know how my experience with customer service is.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
...I will let you know how my experience with customer service is.
I have a feeling you'll be very pleased with your experience with the good folks at the Taurus Resort down in Miami. :cool:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was having the same problem with my pt140, I called taurus and they sent me a new mag release, I haven't installed it yet. Short term fix, I shimmed the left side of the magazine, from bottom to about 1/2 inch from the top including the groove, and it works great since then. I have put a few hundred rounds through and have had no problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with a PT911. Sent it back to Taurus, still did it but not as often. I understand that this is a common problem but never had it with my PT92

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I had the same problem with a PT911. Sent it back to Taurus, still did it but not as often. I understand that this is a common problem but never had it with my PT92
Welcome to the forum! My 24/7 C .45 also had this problem. Taurus replaced the original mags with the new style (please read the 24/7 Mag thread) and it seemed to fix the problem.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Welcome! If you look at the mag release on a 1911, it sits much further forward than the milpro mag releases. It's almost impossible to accidentally thumb the safety on a 1911 during recoil, but it's a known problem with the milpros. As far as the difficulty of swapping them out - it's kind of six of one a half dozen of the other between a milpro and a 1911. Sending it in is always an option, though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called Taurus this morning, only on hold for five minutes. I explained my issue and said it was a known problem on gen 1 and 2s but not as prevalent on gen 3s. Regardless she verified my address and is sending out a shipping slip to send it in. I did not ask about the time line, guess I will find that out when I call them to let them know it is on its way. So far I'm happy....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did not ask about the time line ...
Mine was pretty quick, particularly in light of the fact that the shipping labels indicate that it went all the way back to Brazil.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the info everyone. Definitely the best forum I've been on.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts