Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: Has anyone used their Millennium Pro PT145 in a shooting course? I ask, cuz on the High Road, I've had a couple of instructors tell me that their students who have had Taurus Automatics in their course usually switch weapons mid-way due to various failures of the weapon. When I asked specifics, e.g., what particular weapon, weapon generation, etc., I was not given satisfactory answers. Pisses me off. When I assured these instructors of my own weapon reliability, they retorted with, "Well, yes the Taurus autos are just fine for range use, however, hard usage in actual course work show stoppages and function failure". So...I want to know: Has anybody taken their autos to these "hard usage" shooting courses...competition course...whatever trial by fire course their is out there? Me...I've just shot them at the range. My weapon goes bang every time I fire it. Oh, I admit, that it does not like hard primered rounds and I have had occassional light stirkes. That was easy to resolve...I just found ammo it likes.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would not worry about it. If your gun is reliable then it is reliable. I don't thinkt he taurus would be prone to failure any more than a Smith auto, Beretta, Glock or any of the others. As long as you have put in enough range time to prove its worthiness, I would use it.

Todd

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
It is insteresting that the Taurus 24/7 has won so many awards for it's performance and durability...

http://www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-videos.cfm

And the Millennium Pro models have the same basic function as the 24/7...

Therefore I would expect that that the PT145 would perform AT LEAST as well as any other short barrelled .45 acp... and better that many of the 1911 models with the split feed ramp vs. the Browning type feed ramp in the PT145.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I took my CCW course with my PT145, live fire portion was 250-300 rounds in about an hour. I had ZERO failures or stoppages and it performed great. As a matter of fact a couple of the instructors asked to shoot it and liked it a lot. I did however see several failures out of two guys with Kimbers, but of course with that high dollar name and big price tag that's OK for it to fail a couple times right?

The guy directly to my right had a Kimber and some expensive JHP defense ammo for the course and snorted at my Taurus and Blazer Brass "cheap set up". He didn't snort too much after the first course of fire when me and my gun both outshot he and his. And he spent a good 15 minutes having an instructor help him with his extractor issues and had to clean it halfway through to boot.

If you are confident in the reliablility of your gun, take it and enjoy the course. You may surprise a few instructors and change a few minds with your "cheap" Taurus.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gjk5: Thanks! Now that is exactly the kind of response I wanted to hear. Surprising that there are not more on this forum that took courses with their auto.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a PT145 Mil Pro that I really want to be my carry weapon. After reading a lot of the bad press about the gun, I decided heck with the naysayers and I bought one. I've had it for about a month and after about a couple of hundred rounds I started to get FT'Feeds. Now I'm getting about 4-5 per box (50), which is way too many for a carry gun. It happens w/ both mags, so I don't think that's the problem.

I had the first night of my CCW class recently and chose to shoot my Glock 23 rather than my Mil Pro cuz I was worried about it not feeding and me having to take grief from the instructor or anyone else. So far I have about 400 rounds through it. I'm hoping it finds its grove after a couple of hundred more, but if not, I'm going to have to send it back to Taurus and then I will be carrying my G23 until the Mil Pro returns.

Not sure if that helped or not.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That stinks. I would send it back and see what happens, I am quickly approaching 2K rounds on mine with 2 stovepipes when a friend limpwristed it. I hope they can tweak whatever is wrong with it, it's a great little gun.

FWIW: the 1st PT145 I bought gave me troubles too, had many FTF in the first 200, thought it was hard primers on the WWB I was using but this new one eats the WWB just fine. I guess I'm lucky to have the dealer I do, he just told me to bring it back in and he handed me over the new one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts